New to concealed carry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to concealed carry

This is a discussion on New to concealed carry within the Concealed Carry and Handgun Gear forums, part of the Handguns category; Hey guys, I am planning on buying a Glock 19 next month when I turn 21 and obtaining my concealed ...

Default New to concealed carry

Hey guys,
    I am planning on buying a Glock 19 next month when I turn 21 and obtaining my concealed carry permit. The reason I am going with the Glock is primarily because of the cost and the track record. I am and EMT so I qualify for the Glock LE discount. I am 5' 10" and weigh about 170lbs. What methods of carry have you guys similar to my size found the most success with?

I have a Glock 19. Tried several holsters but am staying with Whitehat Maxtuck. Good price, you can convert to use other weapons (buying the Kydex for around $20.00) Customer service is great. I recommend you speaking with them before or while ordering. You might qualify for a discount. I am NRA member which got me 10%.
    Enjoy your weapon and be safe.
    welcome to the forum.

Blog Entries

I carry my Glock 23 on my right hip. I'm about your size and found that the holster I use allows my .40 to conform very nicely on my hip. The only restriction I found this way is when bending over or when sitting on certain chairs. I would recommend trying a few different holsters to find what you are comfortable with in regards to drawing and body comfort.

Hey, Jacob. I'm a Flight Paramedic, what is this Glock discount you speak of? I may benefit from that for my next Glock purchase.

I own the Glock 21 and 27. I carry the 27 in either the Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB or Crossbreed SnapSlide OWB depending on what I am wearing that day. A 19 may be more difficult to conceal than you think, especially for your size. I'm 5'10" and about 190 and a 27 still shows a little under my untucked shirt. As summer approaches I am transitioning to Ruger LCR or LCP depending on my wardrobe.

Hi Jacob. I purchased a Glock 19 Gen 4 last year and it really is flawless. My company sells only one product right now (gun belt), but we are getting ready to sell the best brands of each component of a concealed carry system. You are correct to list physical aspects in asking your question. Most people overlook the importance of body type, but it has everything to do with the functionality of a CCW system. You're in luck, 5' 10" 170lbs is what most tactical equipment is made for, so you're in the clear. You will need a good gun belt to start, then the different type of holster that works for you:

Leather options: Outside-the-waistband (OWB) body-hugging, high-riding pancake type holster, open-top or thumb break.
    Inside-the-waistband (IWB)
    Shoulder holster

Thermoplastic ("Kydex" type) options: OWB and IWB.

I could recommend and refer you to which companies I think makes the best of each type, but I don't want to answer your question for commercial purposes. PM me if you really want to know more specifics.

Everything depends on how you wear your clothing. Jacket? Shirt tucked-in or untucked? Close-fitting or loose? Number and placement of belt loops on your pants?

And btw, for anyone reading this who is less "trim" as Jacob here, everything is different for you, from the belt you use to your holster options.

The CCW industry is just like any other industry: they are there to make money. And like any other industry, it's easy to make a buck off unsuspecting newbies. There are guys who have been carrying for 30 years but have never been shot at or had to draw their gun, so they will have their own opinion on what works for them. The challenge is to study heuristics, assembling data from what works and what doesn't work, and create products that arrive as close to "custom-fit" as possible.

I'm 5'8" and 200 lbs and my Glock 23 blends right in. I can't fathom celt902 not being able to conceal a 27. I don't consider a little bulge as showing. It could be glasses, cell phone, blackberry, etc. They type of holster makes a world of difference. Are you required to tuck in your shirt? If so, go get a tuckable IWB holster. If not, get something that rides kinda high on the waist in a OWB holster. I personally use an inexpensive clip-on IWB leather holster. It has no retention (other than a tight belt) but in your profession, I would definitely recommend a retention holster.
    "To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society" - Theodore Roosevelt

We have had some child related gun incidents in the media recently. Most recently a toddler got a gub from beneath a car seat and discharged it, What kind of gun safe should have been in use here? Are one of the ones offered in this contest the kind that should have been in use? I usually think of "gun safe" being a large thing with rifles in it. Where is a good place to research smaller options? Thanks

Thanks for the responses.
    @ corythoennes What is the holster that you use?
    @ celt902 On Glock's website they list EMTs, Paramedics, and Fire Fighters as being eligible for the same "First Responder Discount" that police officers are. The only stipulation is that you have to go to a Glock LE dealer. You can find LE dealer locations on their website.
    @ graciegram GunVault makes some good small sized gun safes.

Quote Originally Posted by graciegram View Post
    We have had some child related gun incidents in the media recently. Most recently a toddler got a gub from beneath a car seat and discharged it, What kind of gun safe should have been in use here? Are one of the ones offered in this contest the kind that should have been in use? I usually think of "gun safe" being a large thing with rifles in it. Where is a good place to research smaller options? Thanks
    There are several models of small gun safes/gun vaults that would fit in a car. There are book sized ones that you may use to check a pistol on an airline. GunVault also makes one that fits in a bedside stand, about 3" tall. The best way is to carry the gun on your person. If you leave it in the car you risk it being stolen as well as not having immediate access to it God forbid you really need it. Try GunVault first.

Welcome to the crowd, as everyone has said you will have to find what works for you, but my preference is IWB n82 tactical pro for my g22 and g27 both conceal well in normal clothes. The 22 does try to show when sitting or kneeling, and i am 5' 10" 180 lbs. You will get a little show with any pistol regardless of size but no one will know what it is.
    Romans 12:18 NKJV

If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast