Advice on Best Concealed Carry Handgun
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Advice on Best Concealed Carry Handgun

This is a discussion on Advice on Best Concealed Carry Handgun within the Concealed Carry and Handgun Gear forums, part of the Handguns category; Just got my CC permit. Any advice from you folks on your recommendations on an ideal carrying pistol? I was ...

Talking Advice on Best Concealed Carry Handgun

Just got my CC permit. Any advice from you folks on your recommendations on an ideal carrying pistol? I was thinking about a .357 or .38 SPL Airweight revolver or maybe a small Glock. Thoughts?

Thank you,

jonathan

Last edited by lukem; 05-01-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Glockster20 is offline Clinging to God and guns

Jonathan,

Go to a range/gun shop where you can handle and possibly try out different models.... There is no one size fits all, you will like the way certain guns feel in your hand and the way they shoot. It's like trying on shoes... I love Glocks but that's just me

Glockster20 is offline Clinging to God and guns

You need to pick out a good quality, comfortable and safe concealment holster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    You need to pick out a good quality, comfortable and safe concealment holster as well.
    Thank you for your advice my friend.

jonathan

There are a lot of good choices out there. First you might want to settle on do you want to carry an auto or revolver. If it is a revolver then the smith and Wesson five shot hammerless air weights would be a good choice. If you want to go the auto route then as Glockster said go somewhere that you can try out as many kinds as you can. Then of course you will have to decide on what cal.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Smile

I will chime in here. Most ranges I have been to rent guns. Take advantage, shoot as many as you can. Go to gun shows, get as many different guns in your hand to find out what feels right. When you find a gun that feels good in your hand, see if you can rent a similar model and shoot it. Try out different calibres. I recommend going with the largest calibre you are comfortable with, if it is a .45, great, 9mm, fine. If all you can handle is a .22, a well placed .22 is much better than a miss with a .45. Find out what works for you.

Based on the question, I would also guess you are not very experienced with firearms (if you are, great!!), take more classes (even if we are experience, more training never hurts). Also, shoot often, until you do not have to think about what you are doing when you are shooting. I always say 100 repititions, your mind knows what you are doing, 1000, your body knows what you are doing, 10,000 your spirit knows what you are doing and the technique becomes useful!!

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Thank you all. I appreciate your insight and helpful advice.

Jonathan

Just remember that the smaller/lighter the gun the greater the recoil/flip in relation to the caliber. I've got a sweet little Kahr PM9. Smaller and lighter than a Walther PPK in .380 but chambered for a 9mm (major caliber). But... I had to get used to the recoil flip when fired. So... not only consider the largest caliber you can shoot accurately, but also the largest size gun you can conceal. I can shoot a Glock G19 better than my PM9 but that Glock is a b**ch to hide with only gym shorts and a tank top.

As always IMHO.
    Jeff
    "I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill!"
    Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 12gauge pump (my favorite )

I use a Springfield XD 3" Sub Compact in .40. I like it a lot. I have heard a lot of good things about some of the glocks as well. I use a Sig Sauer at work, I love that as well. I just would not go with a cheap S&W, they are useless.

wolfhunter Guest

The best gun for CCW is the one you will have with you EVERY time you leave your house.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast