When *can* cops legally use deadly force?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

When *can* cops legally use deadly force?

This is a discussion on When *can* cops legally use deadly force? within the Deadly Force and The Law forums, part of the Main Category category; I've always just kind of assumed that the rules would be the same as for someone with a concealed carry ...

kerb is offline pinche gringo
    Blog Entries

Default When *can* cops legally use deadly force?

I've always just kind of assumed that the rules would be the same as for someone with a concealed carry permit. e.g. the cop would need to perceive a lethal threat.

Is that the case though? Can a cop shoot you for not following instructions (whether intentionally or because of disability?) Or for the simple act of running away?

He can NOT shoot you for not following his instructions. Deadly force can only be used as a last resort to prevent the suspect/perp from causing serious bodily harm or death to the officer or persons/civilians around the area.
    If you have a disability calmly explain your limitations. If you start acting like an ass, ranting and raving about your rights, expect to be treated accordingly. Failure to follow police instruction, resisting arrest, tripping and falling and hurting yourself.
    A little bit of respect goes a long way, and not making the officer feel threatened, or feel that you're a threat will make it easier on both of you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roguejesse View Post
    He can NOT shoot you for not following his instructions. Deadly force can only be used as a last resort to prevent the suspect/perp from causing serious bodily harm or death to the officer or persons/civilians around the area.
    If you have a disability calmly explain your limitations. If you start acting like an ass, ranting and raving about your rights, expect to be treated accordingly. Failure to follow police instruction, resisting arrest, tripping and falling and hurting yourself.
    A little bit of respect goes a long way, and not making the officer feel threatened, or feel that you're a threat will make it easier on both of you.
    That's a relief. Some of the stuff I've seen recently was starting to make me wonder. Dash cam video, helmet video, etc.

I could be interpreting your response incorrectly, but you appear to have a case of attitudiosis. Did my original post offend you in some way? Perhaps it wasn't intended but reading your response I get the distinct impression that I'm being talked down to. It's been my experience that respect is a two way street.

In most general terms, theoretically, WE shoot to defend ourselves or immediate family/associates. The cop may shoot to defend society: he shoots the fleeing felon if he believes that person is likely to harm society. You and I cannot shoot the perp we come upon who has just raped and murdered our child, if he is fleeing. He is not a threat. The fact he'll do it again does not make us equal to the cops.

I'd say that in many cases, respect was a two way street. But those old line Peace Officers have mostly retired. I miss them. Today, many "serve to Intimidate and Subjugate," and acting as if you believe you are equals is enough to cause a severe escalation of force.

Laws and theory aside, my observations of late suggest that any police shooting is a "good shoot" if the officer involved says the magic words "I was in fear for my life." The exception to this is politics, racial or otherwise. Recently, in Seattle, we had a cop kill a well known local Native American street person woodcarver. From accounts by the few witnesses not yet intimidated or silenced, it appears the shootee was unaware of the shooter before the fatal bullets hit him from the side, being more than half deaf, usually somewhat beered up and often wearing headphones. The cop yelled at him to drop his small woodcarving knife, then opened fire and killed him, as the carver was moving at right angles to the cop's approach. No threatening actions ever took place. But the ONLY reason this one is not a "good" shoot and the cop will face an inquest and maybe even trial, is that his victim was Native American and the tribe is making a lot of noise. Politics trumps just about everything. Big city Police Chiefs are polticians, and they WILL throw cops to the wolves to make themselves look good.

But in general, yes, the cops can shoot you if they wish. And if there's video recorded of illegal actions on their part, it will disappear or somehow turn out to be damaged (ask the people at that Las Vegas Costco...).
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    But in general, yes, the cops can shoot you if they wish. And if there's video recorded of illegal actions on their part, it will disappear or somehow turn out to be damaged (ask the people at that Las Vegas Costco...).
    Also remember that if a cop wants to use less than leathal force, he can do so at anytime by saying the magic words, "Stop resisting." If your arm snaps or your shoulder gets dislocated, the cop will claim that (s)he didn't hear a bone break or a joint pop, and will continue to apply pressure to the injury all while yelling, "Stop resisting."

Last edited by MNBlackjack; 10-28-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: long load

Unfettered Might is offline Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlackjack View Post
    That right there deserves it's own thread.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Here is an example of when I learned not to trust the Police. My father was at sea in the Navy, my mother has never drove, I would drive and we would go get groceries from the Commissary, While in a line of stopped traffic a lady backed out of her and her husbands business on the Strip in Charleston SC, She hit my fathers car and left the seen, we got her tag number, and went to the Police Station to file a complaint. There were four of us kids in the car, we told the Police what had happened, before we left the Police Station the Police called the Store owner a said that four kids had reported the incident to them and asked him what he wanted them to do about it. The Police cannot be trusted is the lesson that we learned that day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MNBlackjack View Post
    I can't get that one to play.
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

You can watch it here. I believe it is in five parts on youtube. Just click on the video once it is playing and it will bring you to YouTube where you can watch the remaing segments.

YouTube - The Largest Street Gang in America ~ 1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast