Using reloaded hollow points for self defense - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Using reloaded hollow points for self defense

This is a discussion on Using reloaded hollow points for self defense within the Deadly Force and The Law forums, part of the Main Category category; I understand the "what if" you are referring to I just think it's unnecessary. Like Doc said, it is theoretical ...

I understand the "what if" you are referring to I just think it's unnecessary. Like Doc said, it is theoretical with no case law to support it. And with that being the case why would you limit your options on a theoretical concept?
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    ...Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your sins; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I understand the "what if" you are referring to I just think it's unnecessary. Like Doc said, it is theoretical with no case law to support it. And with that being the case why would you limit your options on a theoretical concept?
    In theory the prosecution could use the fact that you clean your gun after each use - to improve reliability, but the prosecution could say you were obsessed with making sure your gun would work the first time to kill someone, in theory.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by ransom63 View Post
    I'm sure this subject has been kicked around for years. I just though it needed another kick.
    I reload. I mainly use my reloaded rounds for target practice, but sometimes I'll carry them.
    IF the reloaded round is built exactly to the manufacturer's spec., why would there be any kind of legal entangelment if I was engaged in a situation where I had to defend my or my loved one's lives and the bad guy is dispatched? I've heard that a prosecuting lawyer could claim that the rounds were loaded to specifically do excessive harm...well, hell yes!
    Have any of you been engaged in a conversation like this?
    Just avoid any legal hassles. Buy commercial ammo for your self defense weapons.

In agreement with NAVYLCDR,

also please check each factory round when you remove it from the box.
    Over the years I have found some dented, some too short and too long, and most recently 1/2 a box with the hp rim flattened out like they had been tapped with a hammer.

Do everything possible to SAVE YOUR LIFE.

An eyeball hit with a 22 is better than a loud miss with a 44 magnum.

We just picked up some Hornady HTP hollow points for home use Self-Defense. I hope I never have to find out how they work or what the law says about using the reloads.

My CCW permit instructor recommended not to, his explanation was that factory self defense ammo has ballistic data available that will help CSI figure out who shot whom from what distance etc etc. Since that's not available for reloads things could get a bit muddled and it may for example look like you shot from a much farther distance than it actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    My CCW permit instructor recommended not to, his explanation was that factory self defense ammo has ballistic data available that will help CSI figure out who shot whom from what distance etc etc. Since that's not available for reloads things could get a bit muddled and it may for example look like you shot from a much farther distance than it actually happened.
    I understand where your instructor is coming from when he said this, but if you follow the reloading data there is ballistic data on the load already from the bullet and or case manufactures. I agree it would just be better to use the factory ammo kust to save on any issues. For every issue said to say you can use them, there is another issue that says you shouldn't use them. I guess we can just say it is a personal choice.
    kerstingm, NRA Member, CCW Permit,CZ 75B, CZ 75PCR compact, Kimber Ultra Aegis II 9mm, Kimber Ultra Raptor 45, Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm S/C, Sig P229, Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag, Taurus PT1911, DPMS AR15, Mossberg 930 SPX 12 Gauge, Beretta AL 390 12 Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by ransom63 View Post
    I'm sure this subject has been kicked around for years. I just though it needed another kick.
    I reload. I mainly use my reloaded rounds for target practice, but sometimes I'll carry them.
    IF the reloaded round is built exactly to the manufacturer's spec., why would there be any kind of legal entangelment if I was engaged in a situation where I had to defend my or my loved one's lives and the bad guy is dispatched? I've heard that a prosecuting lawyer could claim that the rounds were loaded to specifically do excessive harm...well, hell yes!
    Have any of you been engaged in a conversation like this?
    Why take a chance? At least that's how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I was able to find some cases on this issue. (http://www.gunatics.com/forums/gener...mas-ayoob.html)

Mas Ayoob reported on a number of cases where legal problems were encountered. Very interesting how things get twisted by prosecutors.
    Raid!!! Kills bugs dead.

Mas Ayoob makes a lot of money as an expert witness. If he tells me to purchase my carry ammo I choose to follow his advice. I believe that my home rolled is of excellent quality. I am sure that is true of the great majority of the hand loaders here. Rest assured that if I am on your jury the ammo you used will not be counted against you.

I sat on a jury in a murder trial. That man should never have been arrested let alone charged. He was a hero for what he did but the prosecutor wanted a murder conviction to celebrate. During deliberation we discussed whether there was a way that we could charge the prosecutor.

A few bucks for factory ammo once in awhile is cheap insurance. I doubt that they would prosecute me because I had made the ammo in my gun. They would, however, use everything at their disposal to convict whether it was pertinent or not. As mentioned above there might be a problem determining whether you story was accurate with your home made ammo. Do as you wish, I will deny them this nail for my coffin.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    Mas Ayoob makes a lot of money as an expert witness.
    Barack Obama makes $400,000 per year as President.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    Mas Ayoob makes a lot of money as an expert witness. If he tells me to purchase my carry ammo I choose to follow his advice. I believe that my home rolled is of excellent quality. I am sure that is true of the great majority of the hand loaders here. Rest assured that if I am on your jury the ammo you used will not be counted against you.

I sat on a jury in a murder trial. That man should never have been arrested let alone charged. He was a hero for what he did but the prosecutor wanted a murder conviction to celebrate. During deliberation we discussed whether there was a way that we could charge the prosecutor.

A few bucks for factory ammo once in awhile is cheap insurance. I doubt that they would prosecute me because I had made the ammo in my gun. They would, however, use everything at their disposal to convict whether it was pertinent or not. As mentioned above there might be a problem determining whether you story was accurate with your home made ammo. Do as you wish, I will deny them this nail for my coffin.
    Plus one on prosecuting the prosecution.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast