Intruder Gets Fed Bird Shot by Home Owner....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Intruder Gets Fed Bird Shot by Home Owner....

This is a discussion on Intruder Gets Fed Bird Shot by Home Owner.... within the Deadly Force and The Law forums, part of the Main Category category; Tacoma police said a homeowner shot a would-be burglar in the face with a shotgun this evening when he tried ...

Default Intruder Gets Fed Bird Shot by Home Owner....

Tacoma police said a homeowner shot a would-be burglar in the face with a shotgun this evening when he tried to break into a home through a window.

The shooting occurred just before 6 p.m. at the corner of S. 14th and S. Madison streets.

“The homeowner fired a shot and hit the suspect in the face,” police spokesman Mark Fulghum said.

Officers used a K-9 team to search the home and make sure nobody else was inside. Police initially reported that there was a second suspect but they now believe the injured man was the only person trying to break into the house.

The would-be burglar was taken to St. Joseph Hospital in Tacoma. He is expected to survive.

The homeowner has not been arrested.

Read more here: UPDATED: Tacoma homeowner shoots would-be burglar in the face | Lights & Sirens - The News Tribune
    Response by reader of this article....musingintacoma
    June 19, 2012 at 7:56 pm

The homeowner may have some legal trouble. The suspect was had not entered the building per the article, so is only committing a misdemeanor offense (Criminal trespass 2nd degree RCW 9A.52.080) at that point. The article does not mention if the building was breached (window or door opened by the perpetrator;) before the homeowner fired. I suspect that if the security of the home had not yet been breached by the suspect, the homeowner may have fired prematurely.

I am all for homeowners defending their homes, but I believe that to use the Castle Doctrine as a defense for the shooting, the home (castle) must be breached by the perpetrator. As always, the devil will be in the details, which the public may not get.

It has been reported elsewhere that the home owner is a woman. Will this make any difference in how or if charges are filed? The intruder is reported in serious condition. Just happened so I'm sure there is more to follow. WF
    People should practice being in a state of relaxed awareness similar to defensive driving. Enjoy life, but study your surroundings.....http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/pract...onal-awareness

Default Shooting early to save the carpet

Quote Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
    .... the home (castle) must be breached by the perpetrator. As always, the devil will be in the details, which the public may not get.
    WF
    But wouldn't there be a danger of getting blood on the carpet? ;-)

If someone is close enough to get shot in the face with bird shot, they are to close for comfort. For Instance, there is a window about 2 feet from where I am sitting right now, if someone is trying to force their way through that window, they will get lit up way before I let them any closer. There are definitely gray areas in the law, but I for one would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6 so.

P.S. Maybe that was her warning shot before she fed him 00?
    The miracle of Christ in me - Is the mystery that sets me free
    I'm nothing like I used to be - So open up your eyes you'll see

There is not a lot of information in this article. Assuming a 12 GA I suggest it is time to upgrade her ammo. If he had been able to get all the way into the home and was wearing heavy clothing how effective do you think the bird shot would have been.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    There is not a lot of information in this article. Assuming a 12 GA I suggest it is time to upgrade her ammo. If he had been able to get all the way into the home and was wearing heavy clothing how effective do you think the bird shot would have been.
    Maybe that's why she aimed for the guys face?
    The miracle of Christ in me - Is the mystery that sets me free
    I'm nothing like I used to be - So open up your eyes you'll see

I do not know about other states but enter someone's home forcibly in SC and you will not leave standing. Bird shot? I will greet my "guests" with the finest 12g double O money can buy. My only regret will be the money that I must spend to fix the door jam of my bedroom door and to replace the carpet. No tears, no regrets, no more BG.

Poor choice of ammunition

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

wbk
    wbk is offline Never enough time...

Unless you live in something as big as a bowling alley, I think birdshot is fine. I don't know of anyone who is going to continue an attack after getting hit in typical across the room distances, it simply does not spread much in that distance. I know the 12 gauge birdshot I have loaded will stop and at least I can keep some hearing intact for my family and myself.

on topic: In my mind, breaking into the window & physically in the building are the exact same thing..put me on the jury and that homeowner walks every time. Dont want to get shot? don't break into homes.

slightly off topic: I use bird shot for my home defense 12 gauge... I still have my youngest daughter living with us and can't risk possible wall penetration.
    In my former life as a professional exterminator (17 years, retired now) I killed 100's of animals with 12g bird shot, I know first hand it's effect at close range and I'm confident it will do the job if needed.
    Once our kid has moved out, I will be switching to 00 because I do believe it's a better option

Thanks for the demo. I've long known the effect of birdshot at close range - having seen it bury a wad 3 inches into a tree.

Back in the 70s when I started clay target shooting our instructor said that at close range a shotgun (loaded with birdshot) would cut a man in half and I've never had any reason to doubt him. He just demonstrated by putting a gouge in the ground at his feet.

Your post should stop the comments by those who just repeat the myths.

Cheers
    Gregg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast