Self Defense & Civil lawsuit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Self Defense & Civil lawsuit

This is a discussion on Self Defense & Civil lawsuit within the Deadly Force and The Law forums, part of the Main Category category; I think we (law abiding gun owners) should be protected under the same laws as LEO. If we protect ourselves ...

Default Self Defense & Civil lawsuit

I think we (law abiding gun owners) should be protected under the same laws as LEO. If we protect ourselves with deadly force, and cleared of all criminal charges, then we should be shielded from civil suit!

I feel that if someone breaks into my home and threatens me, the perps family shouldn't be able to sue me. After all, if the bad guy wasn't breaking any laws he'd still be alive!

I wonder if the NRA would consider lobbying for something like this?

Blog Entries

I know that there has been talk of this in Ia. or at least that's what a Highway patrol buddy of mine says.

In Louisiana you are protected from civil suit if the shooting was justified.

SC also has immunity from civil action on its books for a "good shoot". In this country, however, regardless of whether you are an LEO or a citizen, you can still be sued--the "sueee" may not and should not win but the suit can still be filed. Bottom line--you injure of kill someone with a firearm, particularly these days where the asylum, formerly known as the USA, is run by inmates, you can be sued for literally anything and it will cost you time and money to defend.

Wisconsin is covered by Castle Doctrine.

Even in states where one isn't protected from civil suit there is generally no suit if there were no criminal charges are upheld by the court. Defense will file a motion for summary judgement citing the fact that a grand jury found no wrong-doing. In order to sue one must prove a tort (wrong) occurred, the plaintiff suffered damages and there was a cllose causal connection between the two. Without the tort as found in the criminal charges, the suit can be dismissed as not satisfying the requirements for a cause-of-action. Then there's always jurors like us. Most of us aren't finding for the perp.
    Also, check your homeowners policy. Many will provide for defense costs and settlement up to the contract amount for actions arising from lawful self-defense in the home.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

SR40c is offline Done told her once...

Quote Originally Posted by blueribbonman View Post
    I know that there has been talk of this in Ia. or at least that's what a Highway patrol buddy of mine says.
    Iowa "WAS" considering it. Then some ******* shot up a school in Connecticut. This resulted in Obama, his administration, and his retarded minions using the blood of 20 children and 6 adults to further an oppressive agenda. Castle Doctrine, Stand You Ground, and Constitutional Carry, have all gone to the back burner while all the time and money are now spent on fighting ban and confiscation legislation.

Iowa really needs the fore mentioned because people protecting themselves are sometimes unjustifiably charged and jailed by lunatic left wing prosecutors. People's lives are destroyed for no reason other than they protected them selves.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Quote Originally Posted by sevans1965 View Post
    I think we (law abiding gun owners) should be protected under the same laws as LEO. If we protect ourselves with deadly force, and cleared of all criminal charges, then we should be shielded from civil suit!

I feel that if someone breaks into my home and threatens me, the perps family shouldn't be able to sue me. After all, if the bad guy wasn't breaking any laws he'd still be alive!

I wonder if the NRA would consider lobbying for something like this?
    In FLA we are protected from civil suits arising from a justifiable use of deadly force

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    In FLA we are protected from civil suits arising from a justifiable use of deadly force
    Yup, Stand Your Ground does this.
    BTTBBOB
    President & Chief Instructor
    www.sflagunschool.com

Oklahoma protects against civil suit in the case of justifiable use of deadly force. It also states that if a civil suit is brought against you the courts are ordered to award you costs to defend, loss of income, etc. From what my ccw instructor said, the number of suits has dropped considerably since this was made law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast