29. You may not vote on this poll
  • For it

26 89.66%
  • Against it

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

H.r. 822

This is a discussion on H.r. 822 within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; Are you for it, or against it?...

Weber is offline USMC

Default H.r. 822

Are you for it, or against it?

santa is offline santa

This is a good pro-gun bill that needs to become law. My self defence rights dont stop at the state line. Many well meaning but misinformed gun owners are opposed, but IF they took the time to read the ENTIRE proposed law most(not all) would see how good it is. It seems that the biggest objection is that it opens the door for gun-control laws, but if Congress wanted to pass gun-control laws they dont need 822 for that. There is also a provision that I(and many others)believe superceeds the FEDERAL SCHOOL ZONE LAW for out of State permit holders. While 'Constutional Carry' would be great NATIONALLY it wont happen in my lifetime. HR822 is a step in the right direction and will show polititions in gun unfriendly states how wrong the 'Brady Bunch' is and will encourage those states to become more gun friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by santa:247138
    This is a good pro-gun bill that needs to become law. My self defence rights dont stop at the state line. Many well meaning but misinformed gun owners are opposed, but IF they took the time to read the ENTIRE proposed law most(not all) would see how good it is. It seems that the biggest objection is that it opens the door for gun-control laws, but if Congress wanted to pass gun-control laws they dont need 822 for that. There is also a provision that I(and many others)believe superceeds the FEDERAL SCHOOL ZONE LAW for out of State permit holders. While 'Constutional Carry' would be great NATIONALLY it wont happen in my lifetime. HR822 is a step in the right direction and will show polititions in gun unfriendly states how wrong the 'Brady Bunch' is and will encourage those states to become more gun friendly.
    I agree. There should be no permit system anywhere in this country because that, itself, is an infringement, but this is a step in the right direction.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Can't wait to see what gets added in Senate, then Presidential signature. Who will be the first to tackle federal school zone arrest. I have a permit only to avoid arrest, my personal belief is unrestricted 2nd amendment carry where and when I wish.

Weber is offline USMC

So far across 8 forums, for it is at 73%, against it is at 22%, and 5% are unsure...

I guess with our government sometimes I wonder if its to good to be true, it probably is.

santa is offline santa

Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    So far across 8 forums, for it is at 73%, against it is at 22%, and 5% are unsure...
    I wonder how many of the people against HR822 have read the ENTIRE proposed law? Gun owners who are against it should read the ENTIRE bill for themselves and then decide. It is too bad that some gun owners who are opposed to this bill claim it does nothing to promote the 2nd amendment but do not seem to be able to quote the EXACT wording of HR822 as passed in the House. There is a section of the bill that states that ALL out of State permits shall be treated the same as in State permits thereby taking care of the FEDERAL school zone issue, at least for permit holders. At least this is a step in the right direction of expanding gun-rights.

For it. As many have said, its a step in the right direction. I am firmly in support of state powers, but they should never have been allowed to limit individual rights recognized by the constitution. Sadly, we the people should have prevented this at the local level, rather than leaving it to the fed to step in. It does set up a precedent that may prove troublesome.

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    I wonder how many of the people against HR822 have read the ENTIRE proposed law? Gun owners who are against it should read the ENTIRE bill for themselves and then decide. It is too bad that some gun owners who are opposed to this bill claim it does nothing to promote the 2nd amendment but do not seem to be able to quote the EXACT wording of HR822 as passed in the House. There is a section of the bill that states that ALL out of State permits shall be treated the same as in State permits thereby taking care of the FEDERAL school zone issue, at least for permit holders. At least this is a step in the right direction of expanding gun-rights.
    I've read the entire bill and I voted "against". I'm all for every law-abiding citizen being able to carry....but as I've said before, I'm convinced that this particular bill will force certain states (CA, NJ, etc.) to eliminate CC entirely and become like Illinois in an effort to get around the law. And in the end that'll make our position weaker.

Sorry, folks, but there is no way on Earth that places like California, New Jersey, NYC, etc. are going to simply let every licensed Tom, ****, and Harry from other states cross the border and legally pack heat. Their only way out is spelled out in the bill itself - to stop issuing permits altogether....in other words, an end to CC in those states. Instead of having just one "right denied" state (Illinois), we now have a bunch. There are tens of thousands of people who have managed to get permits in these restrictive states and they would stand to lose that right if these states react as I believe they will.

Of course I think it's all a moot point. 822 will never be able to stand up in federal court. SCOTUS has always allowed the states themselves to decide if/how a firearm may be carried. I think SCOTUS will shoot this bill down in a heartbeat. It's not what I want.....it's just what I believe will happen. And in the end it'll all have been a huge waste of time for a bill that was a pipe dream and wishful thinking from the start.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

I'm for it so this damn state of New York will allow decent people to visit safely. A person's good nature doesn't change because s/he crossed a state line.
    Raid!!! Kills bugs dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast