H.r. 822

View Poll Results: H.R. 822

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • For it

    26 89.66%
  • Against it

    3 10.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree3Likes

H.r. 822

This is a discussion on H.r. 822 within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; Are you for it, or against it?...

  1. #1
    Weber's Avatar
    Weber is offline USMC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20

    Default H.r. 822

    Are you for it, or against it?

  2. #2
    santa is offline santa
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    817

    Default

    This is a good pro-gun bill that needs to become law. My self defence rights dont stop at the state line. Many well meaning but misinformed gun owners are opposed, but IF they took the time to read the ENTIRE proposed law most(not all) would see how good it is. It seems that the biggest objection is that it opens the door for gun-control laws, but if Congress wanted to pass gun-control laws they dont need 822 for that. There is also a provision that I(and many others)believe superceeds the FEDERAL SCHOOL ZONE LAW for out of State permit holders. While 'Constutional Carry' would be great NATIONALLY it wont happen in my lifetime. HR822 is a step in the right direction and will show polititions in gun unfriendly states how wrong the 'Brady Bunch' is and will encourage those states to become more gun friendly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santa:247138
    This is a good pro-gun bill that needs to become law. My self defence rights dont stop at the state line. Many well meaning but misinformed gun owners are opposed, but IF they took the time to read the ENTIRE proposed law most(not all) would see how good it is. It seems that the biggest objection is that it opens the door for gun-control laws, but if Congress wanted to pass gun-control laws they dont need 822 for that. There is also a provision that I(and many others)believe superceeds the FEDERAL SCHOOL ZONE LAW for out of State permit holders. While 'Constutional Carry' would be great NATIONALLY it wont happen in my lifetime. HR822 is a step in the right direction and will show polititions in gun unfriendly states how wrong the 'Brady Bunch' is and will encourage those states to become more gun friendly.
    I agree. There should be no permit system anywhere in this country because that, itself, is an infringement, but this is a step in the right direction.

  4. #4
    Nightmare45's Avatar
    Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    2,786

    Default

    Can't wait to see what gets added in Senate, then Presidential signature. Who will be the first to tackle federal school zone arrest. I have a permit only to avoid arrest, my personal belief is unrestricted 2nd amendment carry where and when I wish.

  5. #5
    Weber's Avatar
    Weber is offline USMC
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    20

    Default

    So far across 8 forums, for it is at 73%, against it is at 22%, and 5% are unsure...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    316

    Default

    I guess with our government sometimes I wonder if its to good to be true, it probably is.

  7. #7
    santa is offline santa
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weber View Post
    So far across 8 forums, for it is at 73%, against it is at 22%, and 5% are unsure...
    I wonder how many of the people against HR822 have read the ENTIRE proposed law? Gun owners who are against it should read the ENTIRE bill for themselves and then decide. It is too bad that some gun owners who are opposed to this bill claim it does nothing to promote the 2nd amendment but do not seem to be able to quote the EXACT wording of HR822 as passed in the House. There is a section of the bill that states that ALL out of State permits shall be treated the same as in State permits thereby taking care of the FEDERAL school zone issue, at least for permit holders. At least this is a step in the right direction of expanding gun-rights.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cal-LEFT-fornia
    Posts
    323

    Default

    For it. As many have said, its a step in the right direction. I am firmly in support of state powers, but they should never have been allowed to limit individual rights recognized by the constitution. Sadly, we the people should have prevented this at the local level, rather than leaving it to the fed to step in. It does set up a precedent that may prove troublesome.

  9. #9
    B2Tall's Avatar
    B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    I wonder how many of the people against HR822 have read the ENTIRE proposed law? Gun owners who are against it should read the ENTIRE bill for themselves and then decide. It is too bad that some gun owners who are opposed to this bill claim it does nothing to promote the 2nd amendment but do not seem to be able to quote the EXACT wording of HR822 as passed in the House. There is a section of the bill that states that ALL out of State permits shall be treated the same as in State permits thereby taking care of the FEDERAL school zone issue, at least for permit holders. At least this is a step in the right direction of expanding gun-rights.
    I've read the entire bill and I voted "against". I'm all for every law-abiding citizen being able to carry....but as I've said before, I'm convinced that this particular bill will force certain states (CA, NJ, etc.) to eliminate CC entirely and become like Illinois in an effort to get around the law. And in the end that'll make our position weaker.

    Sorry, folks, but there is no way on Earth that places like California, New Jersey, NYC, etc. are going to simply let every licensed Tom, ****, and Harry from other states cross the border and legally pack heat. Their only way out is spelled out in the bill itself - to stop issuing permits altogether....in other words, an end to CC in those states. Instead of having just one "right denied" state (Illinois), we now have a bunch. There are tens of thousands of people who have managed to get permits in these restrictive states and they would stand to lose that right if these states react as I believe they will.

    Of course I think it's all a moot point. 822 will never be able to stand up in federal court. SCOTUS has always allowed the states themselves to decide if/how a firearm may be carried. I think SCOTUS will shoot this bill down in a heartbeat. It's not what I want.....it's just what I believe will happen. And in the end it'll all have been a huge waste of time for a bill that was a pipe dream and wishful thinking from the start.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    5,126

    Default

    I'm for it so this damn state of New York will allow decent people to visit safely. A person's good nature doesn't change because s/he crossed a state line.
    Raid!!! Kills bugs dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •