Federal concealed carry law
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Federal concealed carry law

This is a discussion on Federal concealed carry law within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; I really would like to hear a couple of "reasonable" comments on this federal proposal. I will share with you ...

Default Federal concealed carry law

I really would like to hear a couple of "reasonable" comments on this federal proposal. I will share with you why I have mixed emotions about it right now. I am a retired LEO, who, in his retirement years decided to drive an 18 wheeler for something to do. All commercial vehicle driver licenses are federally overseen by the National Highway Traffic Safety Assn. Here is what that means to the individual driver. Each state issues a test of their own and if passed, a license. simple, right? Wrong, now comes the NHTSA, they then issue rules of their own which may, or may not, include state laws. The driver now has 2 sets of rules to follow, depending on the state he is in, and I'm not talking about speed laws here. The federal oversight does not preclude the individual state from enforcing the state laws, nor should it. As drivers, we are expected to know and obey the traffic laws of the state, or city, in which we are driving. But, commercial vehiclle drivers now have an additional set of rules and regulations they must follow. It would appear as if the original intent was to simplify the commercial driver laws. As usual,, when politicians get involved, it never turns out that way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a federal cc law, just not sure it is the right thing to do right now. I fear that a federal concealed carry law may be another "big brother" watch dog. Another thought, how many government employees and what kind of a budget will such a law require. I don't know about you, but I feel I have too much gornerment in my life now.

Those laws to which you refer are a classic example of how the Federal bureaucracy can, through negotiation, compromise, and appeasement, take something that should be fairly simple and turn it into a complete clusterf***.

I would REALLY hate to see that happen in the realm of firearms and concealed carry. I mean, to a degree it already has, and I'd hate to see it get worse.

On the other hand - if the Federal government would take pre-emption over state laws, and enact Constitutional Carry (Vermont Style) across 50 states and all the territories, that would please me greatly.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

A careful reading of the bill shows no additional method for federal control. The only 'right' that is violated is the 'right' of a few states to deny US citizens a basic right. It may not be all things to all people but it is the largest increase in carry rights I can imagine in the near future. If the residents of VT have to mail an application to NH, they will live. Requiring a permit from anywhere makes the bill more likely to become law. The Zimmerman crisis has increased resistance for now. If you think it's a bad idea, ask the arrested in NYC or try to follow the reciprocity kerfluffle in NM of late.

I am not in favor of any federal gun law. The federal government just needs to enforce the 2nd Amendment with regards to the states. I know this is dreaming, but the feds just complicate everything they get involved with.

i think all truckers should be required to carry at least one firearm regardless of the states and federal laws as they are on the road all hours of day and night and could break down in some rough areas or even at truck stops one never knows who is going to want to steal their rig and or its cargo
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    i think all truckers should be required to carry at least one firearm
    Laws that require you to be armed are just as detrimental to your freedom as laws prohibiting you to be armed. The proper role of governement is to not infringe your basic right and let you decide for yourself.

If the feds simply abide by The Full Faith and Credit Clause fine, but I don't know that I want a federal body of law concerning concealed carry
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by dcmarky View Post
    A careful reading of the bill shows no additional method for federal control. The only 'right' that is violated is the 'right' of a few states to deny US citizens a basic right. It may not be all things to all people but it is the largest increase in carry rights I can imagine in the near future. If the residents of VT have to mail an application to NH, they will live. Requiring a permit from anywhere makes the bill more likely to become law. The Zimmerman crisis has increased resistance for now. If you think it's a bad idea, ask the arrested in NYC or try to follow the reciprocity kerfluffle in NM of late.
    Honestly.... how on earth can anything the government gets involved in regarding carry "permits" be thought to have anything at all to do with carry "rights"...

Dang it! A "permit" is the antitheses of a "right"!

"Shall not be infringed"... means the government shall NOT restrict the right to bear arms... and restricting who can bear an arm in a concealed manner to only those the government considers worthy of being given permission (permit) has nothing to do with carry rights but has everything to do with carry infringements!

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    i think all truckers should be required to carry at least one firearm regardless of the states and federal laws as they are on the road all hours of day and night and could break down in some rough areas or even at truck stops one never knows who is going to want to steal their rig and or its cargo
    You bring up a point I failed to mention, by NHTSA rules NO driver of a commercial vehicle is permitted to have a firearm in that commercial vehicle, loaded or unloaded. Thank you for reminding me of that. And now we see again how federal law, regardless of intent, takes over. For dcmarky, Can you see Pelosi agreeing to a Vermont type law? Really ??

No, I can't. That's the good part, she and her ilk aren't needed to pass National Recognition. Reread my comment again. My position is pass this and we'll be light years ahead of where we are. There are already thousands of federal gun control laws. This one is a federal gun liberation law. Nothing in the bill facilitates any controls, despite the claims of minor organizations trying to raise funds. My comment about VT is as the only constitutional carry state without optional permits,they can get one from NH which I wager every VT guncarrier already has. Forty or so Dems voted for HR822 and each one counted just as much as Nancys'.

My fear on this is that once the Feds get any kind of toehold on the licensing process they will do what they do best and start expanding it. This could result in total erosion of what little consitutional rights we have left. And If the current occupant of the White House manages to steal another term it could truly become disastrous.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast