A Positive Step - Could the NRA support anti-crime programs?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By RugerGal
  • 3 Post By golocx4
  • 1 Post By jg1967
  • 2 Post By S&W645

A Positive Step - Could the NRA support anti-crime programs?

This is a discussion on A Positive Step - Could the NRA support anti-crime programs? within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; Here's an idea that I've been tossing around... I would love to know what the USA Carry community thinks. Most ...

Default A Positive Step - Could the NRA support anti-crime programs?

Here's an idea that I've been tossing around... I would love to know what the USA Carry community thinks.

Most gun control proponents claim that they support gun control (in general) because it reduces crime and violence. Of course, we know that's not often the case. It seems like the NRA and other pro-gun groups are often seen as uncaring about issues such as violent crime because these groups promote gun ownership as a good thing. Wouldn't it be a positive step, then, for the NRA to support or promote programs that are aimed at reducing crime rates, through methods other than gun control? Programs that are aimed at keeping kids off the streets after school, reducing gang activity, even reducing drug use? Imagine if the NRA created a program that not only keeps at-risk youths out of gangs, but teaches them about shooting sports in a positive light! I believe this type of activity would be a great boost to the image of pro-gun groups nationally, showing the public that yes, we want to protect our gun rights, but we are also concerned about reducing the rate of violent crime committed using guns. With the resources of the NRA, we could make a real difference in the lives of at-risk kids, while allowing the general public (who may not be familiar with the activities of the NRA) to see the pro-gun community as a positive force in our society!

Does anyone know if there are pro-gun groups currently involved in this type of activity? Do you think it would help improve the image of pro-gun organizations for the general public? Thanks!

EDIT: In summary, if we're going to say "guns are good," shouldn't we be actively involved in the issues that make people say "guns are bad?"
    Blogging at Fashionable Firepower - Where Pretty Meets Packing Heat.
    (I'm new to blogging - advice is always appreciated!)

cgiven1 is offline DAV-Patriot

Ma'am, you may be a little behind here. The NRA has many youth programs already.

NRA Youth Programs

The also support crime fighting measures like project exile. This is where if you commit a crime with an illegal gun you are sentenced to a federal prison out of the state where you live. This is a deterent becuase you end up being away from your family. They don't support new gun control laws but do support the enoforcement of current laws.
    Last edited by cgiven1; 05-16-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: changed opening
    Charlie Given
    Life Member NRA, GOA, TSRA
    Platinum Plus USCCA

Thanks for that link! You're right that the NRA does have lots of great youth programs. What I am wondering about, more specifically, would be programs that reach out to inner-city kids who are likely to end up in gangs, giving them a positive alternative. While the programs you mentioned could include those kids, I'm wondering if there is anything aimed at directly reaching them. For example, taking a kid whose only experience with guns is living in a violent neighborhood, and teaching them about positive sporting uses instead. Does that make sense?

...For example, taking a kid whose only experience with guns is living in a violent neighborhood, and teaching them about positive sporting uses instead. Does that make sense?
    No...to me it doesn't make sense to teach someone from a violent neighbourhood, still living in a violent neighbourhod, to teach them about gun handling. This is just the way I think...it feels like inviting a terrorist to your home and expecting to be treated fairly by him/her.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by RugerGal View Post
    It seems like the NRA and other pro-gun groups are often seen as uncaring about issues such as violent crime because these groups promote gun ownership as a good thing.
    The media is owned by the anti-gun liberal world. They see the NRA as a danger to gun control, so they do their best to put it in a bad light, and avoid any mention of the good things that the NRA sponsors.

In a vacuum, your idea has a lot of merit, but with the criminal element so prominent in the inner-cities, if nothing else it is too dangerous to try.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

golocx4 is offline Got Beretta's?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    For example, taking a kid whose only experience with guns is living in a violent neighborhood, and teaching them about positive sporting uses instead. Does that make sense?
    No...to me it doesn't make sense to teach someone from a violent neighbourhood, still living in a violent neighbourhod, to teach them about gun handling. This is just the way I think...it feels like inviting a terrorist to your home and expecting to be treated fairly by him/her.
    Agree because the root is much deeper than the neighborhoods.
    The family unit has been replaced in "those" neighborhoods with a caring loving bunch of Government programs designed by people that attend cocktail parties and have never been to such a neighborhood. Programs that pay girls to have babies, then pay to have the girls raise the babies,then they pay the babies to have babies and on and on. They have either by design or accident removed the male from any significance and or responsibility. They have turned the women into receptacles for the mans pleasure under the kind and loving monikers of women's rights and choice etc. Hell if the girl gets pregnant and doesn't want to have a baby they will even kill it for her.
    Throwing another program at this problem will end up as all the other "programs", unless we attack the root first and rebuild the family unit which progressive liberals have destroyed. Step one restore respect for womanhood and women. Make manhood mean something other than being able to procreate again.
    Stop worshiping at the alter of government programs. In the end they are all just about retention of power and creating dependents for votes.

Quote Originally Posted by fstroupe View Post
    In a vacuum, your idea has a lot of merit, but with the criminal element so prominent in the inner-cities, if nothing else it is too dangerous to try.
    Yeah, I have a tendency to think about issues more theoretically than practically.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerGal View Post
    Yeah, I have a tendency to think about issues more theoretically than practically.
    It's very decent of you to want to try, but from what I have seen any such program coming from an outsider will most likely not be to well received.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

The bad thing is the "Law of unintended consequences". Train an inner city youth that is likely to join a gang in gun handling and you now have a possible gang member with greater skills at shooting you.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.