across state lines - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

across state lines

This is a discussion on across state lines within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; National Carry means we go to one system for carry. The probable system will be based on the state with ...

National Carry means we go to one system for carry. The probable system will be based on the state with the most restrictive and therefore easiest to enforce regulations. Illinois would probably be the model. In short those working so hard for National Carry are basically working to make those of us who are now carrying lose our carry privileges as given by our host states. The tack to take is for those states with restrictive carry to change their state laws and then enter the reciprocal agreements. BTW, everybody likes to quote the driver license example. Only the Professional licenses were impacted by the Federal Regs (truckers and Bus Drivers) through the Interstate Commerce clauses. The drivers license reciprocal agreement was between state governments and was not a Federal mandate, very much the same as the current movement towards interstate Reciprocal Agreements for Carry. Leave Washington, DC out of it. Involving the government is a sure way to go back to no concealed carry anywhere!
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher,Independent Voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Thanks for it input everyone. I had always thought of this as an opportunity to expand rights, not reduce them. Just bringing Washington into this would probably just mess things up anyway. I am going to contact my attorney general and have him explain his stance on why more states are not onboard with us on the carry issue. Is it them or is it us? And what needs to be done to correct this?

I wonder just how many of those in government positions have actually read the U. S. Constitution?

It should be required reading for EVERYONE, along with the Declaration of Independence. At minimum, both documents should be read once in elementary school, once in middle school, and twice in high school. That would probably be four more times than most people have read them. Maybe it would also be a start to understanding what "shall not be infringed" means.

kerb is offline pinche gringo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Concealed Carry Permit Information By State

That should be enough to get you started.

Be advised certain members of this forum have been know to pull wildly inaccurate information vis-a-vis gun laws out of their nether regions, you would be much better off doing your own research
    This one made me chuckle. Harsh truth. Thanks for the links!
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    National Carry means we go to one system for carry. The probable system will be based on the state with the most restrictive and therefore easiest to enforce regulations. Illinois would probably be the model. In short those working so hard for National Carry are basically working to make those of us who are now carrying lose our carry privileges as given by our host states. The tack to take is for those states with restrictive carry to change their state laws and then enter the reciprocal agreements. BTW, everybody likes to quote the driver license example. Only the Professional licenses were impacted by the Federal Regs (truckers and Bus Drivers) through the Interstate Commerce clauses. The drivers license reciprocal agreement was between state governments and was not a Federal mandate, very much the same as the current movement towards interstate Reciprocal Agreements for Carry. Leave Washington, DC out of it. Involving the government is a sure way to go back to no concealed carry anywhere!
    Before CDLs became the domain of the Feds, the states also covered them under the same agreements as regular drivers licenses. In Florida it was known as a Chauffeur's License. Bad part about CDLs is that they apply to the driver even if not in a Commercial Motor Vehicle.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Here is an idea i had until we have better reciprocal laws
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/trave...carry-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    My "thick head" is an effective shield against your "big mouth".

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Advil View Post
    Since i am not licensed yet I considered this research. Many before me have taken the time to do the same thing i am doing right now and i am drawing from their knowledge. I will not take their word as Gospel but it gives me a good starting point to continue from.
    BTW i like the idea of having copies of other states info on hand while traveling, thanks.
    If you aren't licensed, your options are extremely limited. For instance, you probably already know that Ohio allows open carry, but not inside a vehicle. Obviously concealed carry is out for you unless you go to Vermont, Arizona, Wyoming or Alaska. As for open carry, this map is available from opencarry.org:

Check out the FOPA link that Treo posted for travelling through states that don't allow open carry in vehicles. Also be aware that the FOPA is supposed to override state and local laws, it will not prevent you from being arrested for violation of those laws. The FOPA will only serve as your defense against those laws when you go to court, so it's best to always err on the side of caution wherever you aren't sure of the requirements.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

gejoslin is offline Illegitimi non carborundu

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Diealotz View Post
    If you have a smart phone, search for app Legal Heat.

Sir Diealotz, thanks for the heads up on Legal Heat! Very helpful!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12