Constitutional Carry
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By mmckee1952

Constitutional Carry

This is a discussion on Constitutional Carry within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; Filed under: CTD Webb Site, Constitutional Carry — CTD Suzanne We all know that a criminal or someone who has ...

mmckee1952 is offline Banned

Default Constitutional Carry

Filed under: CTD Webb Site, Constitutional Carry — CTD Suzanne

We all know that a criminal or someone who has criminal intent is not going to display their gun for all to see. That would be an immediate submission of guilt, would it not? It would not be very good for their element of surprise when they go to kill, rape, or rob someone. In fact, a criminal isn’t going to go through a concealed carry class to obtain a permit either. If they are a felon, they don’t even own the gun legally. Requiring law-abiding citizens to jump through hoops, pay hundreds of dollars, and take 8 to 10 hours worth of training is not going to stop bad people from owning, carrying, and using guns. Not to mention, those of us who can legally own a firearm should not have to re-earn a right we already have.

The 2nd Amendment is my gun permit.

The 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution gives us (who can legally own a firearm) the right to own firearms, however not to take away from State’s rights, each state is allowed to determine how and when someone can bear those firearms. The majority of states restrict how, when, and where you can carry firearms. Further, 45 states require some type of license or permit to carry a gun on your person. Illinois ignores the right to bear completely. Four states, Alaska, Arizona, Vermont, Wyoming, and parts of Montana allow those who can legally own guns to carry a gun on their person without a license or a permit. We call this type of carry, Constitutional or permitless carry.

Every state recognizes the right to defend yourself, and but almost every state restricts that right. If I pass a background check in the state of Texas to purchase a gun, I do not see how carrying that gun on my person, whether concealed or open, makes it any less safe than if I kept it strictly in my home.

I am no means an expert on Constitutional Law, but I do know we built our great country on declaring, demanding, fighting for, and protecting our liberty. The U.S. Government Accountability Office reports from December 31, 2011 there were eight million permits issued to U.S. citizens to carry a gun. Nearly half of Americans report owning a firearm. Benjamin Franklin said, “Never trust a government that doesn’t trust its own citizens with guns.” If they trust us to own them, they should trust us to carry them.

Though I have chosen the extreme statics, you still cannot argue with the numbers. In 2003, when Colorado State University started allowing guns to be carried on campus, the school saw a 47% decrease in aggravated assault and robbery. On the other hand, when Chicago banned handguns in 1982, the city saw a 307% increase in aggravated assault and robbery.

Sadly, even someone who can legally own a gun can go off the deep end and commit heinous crimes with legally owned guns. I wish there was something we could do to prevent that from ever happening again, but we can’t. It is just the world we live in. Honestly, can any amount of training fully prepare you for every situation in which you would have to use a concealed handgun? No way. Because no amount of training will predict what emotions will happen. Would Constitutional Carry help prevent more innocents dying? I believe it would.

Blog Entries

Wow! Excellently worded. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for putting it to words for us!

That is why I love Vermont!!!! Buy it, carry it!!!!
    I am now just ONE STEP shy of the dark side, although i do visit it frequently!

Shoobee is offline Banned

It's just too bad that none of the US Supreme Court justices agrees with you, McKee.

Take a look at their recent ruling. It's good, but not that good.

Certainly not like you want.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf