Newtown Chief calls for AWB
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By S&W645
  • 1 Post By dcselby1
  • 1 Post By dad45acp

Newtown Chief calls for AWB

This is a discussion on Newtown Chief calls for AWB within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; I had wondered the position of the LE officials in Newtown. I'm guessing the catastrophic psychological impact has swayed them ...

Default Newtown Chief calls for AWB

I had wondered the position of the LE officials in Newtown. I'm guessing the catastrophic psychological impact has swayed them towards more gun control in a State that already has put the squeeze for firearm ownership and carry. Common sense is unfortunately clouded by the death and carnage of the shooting.

Newtown police chief adds voice to call for assault weapons ban - Open Channel

S&W645 is online now NRA Life Member

It is a knee jerk reaction as usual.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

2Awarrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    ......a State that already has put the squeeze for firearm ownership and carry.
    It all depends on one's perspective, speaking as a New Yorker. Connecticut already has an assault weapons ban, one slightly stricter than NY - I would actually have to sell one of my black rifles if I moved there, even though it is a legal weapon in NY. So I'm not sure what the chief is talking about. And Connecticut, although officially "may issue", conducts itself as a "shall issue" state, where open carry is legal, but "discouraged". But the process to obtain a carry permit is quite streamlined, with stricter training requirements than NY (a good thing).

dcselby1 is offline Denny

I had wondered the position of the LE officials in Newtown. I'm guessing the catastrophic psychological impact has swayed them towards more gun control in a State that already has put the squeeze for firearm ownership and carry. Common sense is unfortunately clouded by the death and carnage of the shooting.

I thought there WAS an AW Ban there?
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post

I'm assuming hes calling for a fed awb. I didn't realize there was one CT but it demonstrates the ridiculousness of it.

S&W645 is online now NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post
    Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.
    And as it says Colt AR-15 and Sporter, I wonder what they'd say about an AR15A2 SporterII? They aren't banned if they don't meet certain criteria. So that is how you can still get a Bushmaster or a Colt Match Target.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.