Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation

This is a discussion on Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation within the Firearm Politics & 2nd Amendment Issues forums, part of the Main Category category; This time of the year is insane for us, the laws roll in almost as fast as we can check ...

Default Here Comes The Flood Of New Gun Legislation - Updated Post #3

This time of the year is insane for us, the laws roll in almost as fast as we can check them and it normally doesn't get better until some time in February.

There's no way I can list all the laws in their own thread and to be honest it would be pretty rude to try and do it so I will hit the 'highlights' of what has come in some far this year.

I wont link to them all either as that would be rude too you can find all of these under the Proposed State Legislation menu item on the site by clicking on the appropriate state name. BTW, we are also testing out a new 'thumbs up or down' rating system on the site.

These are not in any order BTW, sorry!

Virginia:

HB535 would require background checks at gun shows by any vendor.

SB279 would provide an exception for concealed handgun permits for 'qualifying retired member of the enforcement division of the Department of Motor Vehicles'

SB287 would make it a class 6 felony to transfer a firearm to a person that is prohibited if the seller does not peform a background check.

HB448 creates a means of reporting to the state police when a felon's firearm rights are restored.

SB520 would make it a class 2 felony for anyone that 'is not a licensed dealer to sell, rent, trade, or transfer a firearm to any other person who is not a licensed dealer.'

HB878 requires LEO to certify NFA applications within 15 days provided the applying person is not prohibited.

Oklahoma: SB1264, SB1266, HB2351

Take the time to read HB2351 - they should call this bill the 'taking stupidity out of schools' bill

Missouri bill SB656 removes the language that requires firing a revolver and semiautomatic pistol for live fire requirements for a concealed carry license. The AND would be replaced by either.

Florida

H0523 allows tax collectors to issue concealed permits, while H0525 makes ALL concealed weapons application information confidential.

Indiana

SB0045 would add a mandatory 8 hours of training for anyone applying for a license to carry after December 31, 2014

SB0169 sets penalties for anyone 'to provide an individual with a firearm if the person knows or has reason to believe that the individual: (1) is legally barred from possessing a firearm due to the commission of a crime; or (2) intends to use the firearm to commit a crime.'

HB1018 sets up preemption laws for firearms carried on state property.

HB1017 would provide immunity from civil liability for damages 'if the other person's use of force was a valid exercise of the other person's right to self-defense.'

Colorado

HB1041 appears to allow anyone over 21 to carry a concealed weapon without a permit as long as they follow the same guidelines and restrictions a permit holder would and they are not prohibited.

SB038 would eliminate the governor's ability to 'restrict the distribution of firearms during a state of emergency.

New Mexico

HB44 has been introduced, requiring background checks on all firearms sold at gun shows except 'relics' (C&R firearms)

Missouri

SB491,SB613, HB1164, SB548, HB1129, SB556.

Most notable (bad) is SB556 which requires reporting of lost or stolen firearms ... the language in 319.515 'owner should have been aware' is dangerous at best.

On the positive side HB1164 would drop the minimum age for a carry permit from 21 to 19

SB549 attempts to set up rules for 'failing to stop illegal possession'

SB565 is the old 'lost and stolen' and again contains language such as 'should have know' in relation to a lost or stolen firearm.

Mississippi

HB64 would allow school districts to appoint certain employees authorization to carry concealed weapons on campus.

HB139 would prohibit cities and municipalities from running gun buy back programs.

West Virginia

SB199 outlines the right of private property owners to prohibit carrying of firearms on their property.

SB298 clarifies the distinction between hunters and shooters in the field. It would allow shooters who are in possession of a firearm in or near the woods to not have to possess a valid hunting license.

SB80 changes the laws about carrying a weapon on the capitol complex.

There are of course more but those are the highlights. At this point we are pulling close to 100 new gun law bills a day so make sure to check back often.
    An informed gun owner is an anti-gunners worst nightmare, stay informed at the American Gun Owners Alliance

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Waste of time all illegal under the 2nd Amendment.

New Friday January 10

New York

S06268: Not like we didn't know this but NY has officially lost their mind with the introduction of this bill, coded ammunition and a database to track it.

Indiana

SB0229 would prohibit local governments from holding gun buyback programs and would stop firearms bought in any such way from being destroyed unless the serial number is missing.

Virginia

HB827 sets up new language on permit holders and temporary firearms restrictions.

HB8812 requires all firearm transfers to go through a background check.

HB992 adds section 1 (E) to 15.2-915:

'Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting an ordinance that prohibits firearms, ammunition, or components, or a combination thereof, in libraries owned or operated by the locality.'

HB823 would require state police to be at every gun show set up to do background checks but conflicts with HB812 (see below) in that background checks would be voluntary.

HB1015 adds language to 18.2-119 specifying that 'no firearms allowed' signs must be 'where they may reasonably be seen at all entrances to the building or to the part of the building to which the restriction applies, (ii) state the nature of the prohibition in conspicuous type, and (iii) have dimensions of at least five inches by seven inches.'

HB809 would outlaw the sale or transfer of any magazine capable of holding more than 20 rounds.

HB786 adds language to 22.1-307 regarding the dismissal of teachers or school officials, adding section b that states they may not be dismissed solely on the grounds they had an unloaded firearm or knife in their vehicle.

Oklahoma

SB1240 changes the language of 21 O.S. 2011, Sections 1902, 1903 and 1904 to allow those legal to carry a handgun to carry on public transportation.
    An informed gun owner is an anti-gunners worst nightmare, stay informed at the American Gun Owners Alliance

And the bills keep rolling in:

No text yet but US SB1908 looks like another attempt at national reciprocity ... what is odd is it coming from the senate and not the house.

Proposed Mississippi SB2030 requires all ammunition sold within the state to 'bear a unique identifying mark' - UGH

Mississippi SB2100 would make honorably discharged vets exempt from training for a concealed carry permit.

West Virginia HB2911 would make all records pertaining to 'the issuance, renewal, expiration, suspension or revocation of a license to carry a concealed weapon' exempt from the freedom of information act.

West Virginia SB317 strikes language from current law that prohibits county commissioners from limiting 'the right of any person to purchase, possess, transfer, own, carry, transport, sell or store any revolver, pistol, rifle or shotgun or any ammunition or ammunition components'

In other words gutting preemption.

Oklahoma SB1344 would add in language to 21 O.S. 2011, Section 1289.6 making it illegal for police to disarm and restrain anyone carrying on property they own, rent, lease or legally control.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Any all background checks are a violation of the 2nd amendment, and requirement to register ammo or arms is against the 2nd as well as the Reid rider to the pos health care bill, signed by Obama. Screw them.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    This time of the year is insane for us, the laws roll in almost as fast as we can check them and it normally doesn't get better until some time in February.

There's no way I can list all the laws in their own thread.......
    These aren't laws. They're bills or resolutions, and most bills or resolutions never make it out of committee, much less pass, so listing all of them really serves no purpose except maybe to needlessly panic the uninitiated. Bills to repeal the 2nd amendment sometimes get introduced in Congress too. Know why we rarely if ever hear about them? Because they don't stand a snowball's chance in heII of ever even getting heard in committee, much less getting released from committee to the floor for an actual vote. Nobody says anything about them because there's no point in starting a panic about a danger that stands no real chance of ever coming to fruition. The problem with trying to filter through lists like this is that it's sometimes difficult to tell which ones might have a chance of ever passing. Usually you'd need someone from the state in question who's familiar with the applicable legislative landscape and mood to fill you in on those details. But simply listing them all like this doesn't really provide a whole lot of useful information, except maybe possible clues on where one might go to research actual facts that mean something. I say 'possible' because inevitably some of such bills are doomed to go nowhere from the start. In other words, this is just a long winded way of saying you should research further before getting worried, or before getting your hopes up, whichever the case may be.

It's an admirable effort to put such a list together though. I'll say that at least. It must have involved a great deal of coordination with multiple people.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    These aren't laws. They're bills or resolutions, and most bills or resolutions never make it out of committee, much less pass, so listing all of them really serves no purpose except maybe to needlessly panic the uninitiated.
    For people like you and I I would have to agree with you BUT at the same time if people do not know what bills are being introduced they are as bad as the people we call 'sheep' ... the idea is to make people aware of what's coming in and to let them track them and be able to respond to their legislators should any of them (good or bad) move towards a vote.

What's that old saying 'knowledge is power'

It's an admirable effort to put such a list together though. I'll say that at least. It must have involved a great deal of coordination with multiple people.
    Thanks for that ... it does take a massive amount of work to keep track of 50 states and the federal government but that's what we do.

Lastly here's another batch in this morning.

Virginia HB118 would exempt gun buyers from a background check if they possess a valid carry permit and one other form of photo identification.

Nebraska LB857
    adds language to existing concealed carry application law that state spouses of active duty military will be considered residents.

Florida H0577 creates more 'gun free zones' by adding in 'hospital, mental health facility, or nursing home'

Mississippi HB179 adds in language that removes immunity from their existing castle doctrine for anyone that kills an aggressor outside of their home and also adds in language requiring drug and alcohol testing for anyone that falls under the existing exemption.

Oklahoma SB1408 would add a new section to Section 199.1 of Title 60 stating that NFA gun trusts are valid in the state

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    For people like you and I I would have to agree with you BUT at the same time if people do not know what bills are being introduced they are as bad as the people we call 'sheep' ... the idea is to make people aware of what's coming in and to let them track them and be able to respond to their legislators should any of them (good or bad) move towards a vote.

What's that old saying 'knowledge is power'
    That's pretty much what I had in mind when I made the "...except maybe possible clues on where one might go to research actual facts that mean something." remark. Hopefully those with enough interest to actually read the list would also have the initiative to check and find out what applies directly to them.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams

That's pretty much what I had in mind when I made the "...except maybe possible clues on where one might go to research actual facts that mean something." remark. Hopefully those with enough interest to actually read the list would also have the initiative to check and find out what applies directly to them.
    Agreed and even more so getting more gun owners seeing the kind of nonsense these legislators propose might actually get them more involved in protecting their rights.

I know you already put a lot of effort into compiling the list, but it might be helpful to provide a list of where folks can reach their respective representatives. I know that would be too long to add to the actual list itself, but maybe you could create a web page that has links to all the state reps and you could have a link to that page on your list. Something similar to the two web pages that allow anyone to contact their congressman or senator. I imagine the states must have something similar to that. Anyway, food for thought.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast