Student Vigilante Group Armed With Guns Searching For Bad Guys Near UW Campus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Student Vigilante Group Armed With Guns Searching For Bad Guys Near UW Campus within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Student Vigilante Group Armed With Guns Searching For Bad Guys Near UW Campus A group of University Of Washington students ...

Thumbs up Student Vigilante Group Armed With Guns Searching For Bad Guys Near UW Campus

A group of University Of Washington students are being called vigilantes after they armed themselves with handguns and tried to set up patrols on University Avenue and other areas around campus where students have been attacked over the past year.

Q13 FOX News Web Reporter

10:07 PM PDT, October 27, 2009
    SEATTLE - A group of University Of Washington students are being called vigilantes after they armed themselves with handguns and tried to set up patrols on University Avenue and other areas around campus where students have been attacked over the past year.

Stanley Luong and Luis Garcia have armed themselves. Both are assault victims. Luong says, "Some guy just broke down the window, reached in and unlocked the door and came in and robbed us."

Garcia says, "Four men jumped out of a car. They assaulted me and threw my girlfriend to the ground and they attempted to rob me. Two times I've been jumped. I said it's not going to happen a third time."

So both got a concealed license permit and bought handguns. Now they walk with pistols in their pockets...looking for the bad guys.

Luong says, "I don't know if it's illegal to walk around and be bait. I'm kind of fishing for robbers."

Garcia says, "I believe the police they come after the fact. They aren't there when the incident is occurring I believe this is just the fastest means of protecting oneself and those around you… and so I decided to take that measure and execute my second amendment to bear arms."

According to the UW Daily Newspaper, there have been ten assaults and robberies in the area in just the past two months. The students also created a Facebook page with more than two dozen friends.

"I was just kind of sick of it and I watched a lot of movies like taxi driver and vigilante movies and I decided, why not make a Facebook" says Luong.

It was quickly removed but by then, the group was already together and remains loosely knit.

The University of Washington Police department doesn't think this style of vigilantism is a good idea. They would rather see the police work left to the professionals.

University Of Washington Deputy Police Chief Ray Wittmier says, "People when they are carrying weapons a lot of times they feel less vulnerable so they put themselves in bad positions sometimes increasing the likelihood that they might run into a bad situation."

It is illegal to carry a concealed handgun on college campuses in Washington. There has long been a move to change state law to allow it but so far it has not been successful.

Copyright © 2009

College: Group of Armed College Students Called "Vigilantes," They Walk Around Looking For Bad Guys After Number Of Assaults Near Campus - KCPQ
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Sounds like they are heading into all kinds of trouble. You don't go looking trouble you handle it when it comes to you!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

MADnMO is offline Jesus - Our Greatest HOPE

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Sounds like they are heading into all kinds of trouble. You don't go looking trouble you handle it when it comes to you!
    Even if you do go looking for them you don't advertise it to the world.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

I wish them a boring patrol.

sounds like someone is looking for more trouble then they can handal

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    Even if you do go looking for them you don't advertise it to the world.
    That is Rule #1. Furthermore, while I commend their intent, these guys are setting themselves up legally in a bad way with almost any jury of sheep that I can think of.

well.. good for them for refusing to be a victim again. but come on. do they really think going out looking for trouble is a good idea? they should be smarter than that.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

I'm a little concerned by the comments on here. My view of the prevalent opinion on this site is that we are all exercising our 2nd Amendment rights, but we criticize the most basic tenet of it....an armed "local militia". Granted, I think these guys are in the wrong mindset. They DO seem to be looking for trouble, it seems, but why should we criticize those out to protect themselves and their neighbors? The police don't seem to be doing a bangup job. I hesitate to join the group hollering "VIGILANTE", but I find it hard to condone someone's actions because they watched one too many Charles Bronson movies.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    I'm a little concerned by the comments on here. My view of the prevalent opinion on this site is that we are all exercising our 2nd Amendment rights, but we criticize the most basic tenet of it....an armed "local militia". Granted, I think these guys are in the wrong mindset. They DO seem to be looking for trouble, it seems, but why should we criticize those out to protect themselves and their neighbors? The police don't seem to be doing a bangup job. I hesitate to join the group hollering "VIGILANTE", but I find it hard to condone someone's actions because they watched one too many Charles Bronson movies.
    I'm all for taking care of business personally. But, as MadnMO said, they've already advertised their intent and I think that's gonna be a big problem if they drill someone. Heaven forbid they drill the wrong person! Either way, they'll have to deal with our admittedly screwed-up legal system and I wouldn't be comfortable predicting the outcome...I'd vote "not guilty" if they took out a bona-fide BG, but you know how sheep can be, especially as regards "evil" guns.

So,no, I'm not criticising those out to protect themselves (NEVER would I do that), just that they could have been smarter about it, maybe, I don't know..

Deliberately putting themselves potentially in harms way for purposes of improving overall safety of the neigborhood. I think they are pretty darn brave but maybe not using the best of judgment overall...particularly with their flapping of their gums which will likely cause them boatloads of legal trouble if they are involved in a situation. A vigilante takes the law in ones own hands. Walking down the street is not taking the law into your hands. Time to take back our country from criminals. Just because they are not "the police" doesn't mean they cannot police...so long as they don't break any laws themselves. Not something I advise anyone I care about to do...but I commend these kids for doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast