• Hogue

10 28.57%
  • Pachmayr

10 28.57%
  • Other - I'll specify in a post.

15 42.86%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Colt 1911 Gov't - Which replacement grips do you recommend and why

This is a discussion on Colt 1911 Gov't - Which replacement grips do you recommend and why within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I have had Pachmayr combat style (flat, no finger grooves or thumb rest) on my carry combat commander for 20+ ...

I have had Pachmayr combat style (flat, no finger grooves or thumb rest) on my carry combat commander for 20+ years and love them. Good grip wet or dry and still look good as well. I agree with one poster as that you should find a way to try them out as it is a personal choice.
    Armed you are a citizen, unarmed a subject.
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Fear the government who fears you guns.

Ropadope is offline eHarmony Reject

If your intedtions are to actually use this gun, in a tactical or carry manner then I have been real pleased with the ...........

VZ Grips. Micarta and G-10. I currently us the VZ "Operator" G-10's on two of my 1911's. Nice grip serrations/checkering that provide a positive grip with both bare hands and gloves. Impervious to oils and other water etc.

Night Hawk Custom uses these grips on many of thier high end models.

I highly rec' them over the aformentioned grips.

VZ Grips
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

For function, I prefer VZ Aliens. But they can snag clothing. For concealed carry, I prefer smooth wood Grips by Esmeralda.

http://www.esmeralda.cc/

Esmeralda has some nice grips.. Not what I'm looking for, but did save it as a favorite!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I went with the Radical Concepts grips for now, it was more in my price range..
    They have not arrived yet, but hopefully in the next few daze ...

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

1911 Headbanger is offline Leave Me Alone!!!

Personally, I'm kinda Old Skool. I like any decent checkered wood or Micarta grips, with a checkered Flat Mainspring housing and for a duty or defensive type gun, I put skateboard tape on the front strap of the grip frame. I never use any 1911 grip with finger grooves on the front. It keeps me from grabbing up high on the grip. I ALWAYS have a beavertail grip safety with the thick palm piece to make sure it gets depressed everytime. I started using skateboard tape on the front when I had to draw my pistol once with water and mud on my hands. The gun was slipping all over the place. If I don't have skateboard tape, it's going to be an aggressively checkered frontstrap.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Ropadope is offline eHarmony Reject

I've used skateboard tape also on a couple of 1911's. I prefer a nice golfballing when I can get it done. Most that are doing it are so back up now that it's at least a 6 month wait, if your lucky.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

Default 1911 grips

I inherited my Dad's Remington Rand 1911 service weapon from WW II. It had the original checkered grips.
    Since my hands are larger, I found that after the first trip to the range, the grip was not as comfortable as I wanted. I purchased Pachmayr GM-ALS. I found these to be the perfect size and also gave better control and accuracy. Granted each shooters requirement will be different but the finger slots work excellent for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast