If you carry a hammer, all problems look like nails.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If you carry a hammer, all problems look like nails.

This is a discussion on If you carry a hammer, all problems look like nails. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Hey guys, Was curious how many/if any of you carried less-than-lethal alternatives to your sidearm? I must admit - I ...

Default If you carry a hammer, all problems look like nails.

Hey guys,

Was curious how many/if any of you carried less-than-lethal alternatives to your sidearm?

I must admit - I find it odd to only have a firearm as opposed to a full rig of OC Spray, Baton, and the ever popular Taser. I don't feel like wearing the belt on my off time though, however do want to carry less-than-lethal.

As some of you know i'm a dealer for most major brands ie: 5.11 tactical, ASP, etc. so if you have a suggestion its easy for me to get my hands on. (PM Me if you need anything i'll do wholesale +$1+shipping)

I didn't start this thread to advertise - really looking for some feedback. I have an ASP Key Defender OC spray on order, and have considered ordering a Taser C2.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions appreciated.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Fox OC spray. That stuff is the most horrid I've been hit with, and I've been hit with quite a few brands doing security over the years...
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    Fox OC spray. That stuff is the most horrid I've been hit with, and I've been hit with quite a few brands doing security over the years...
    FOX FIVE point THREE is harsh!

IMO:
    FOX Labs --- aka chemical burn in a can
    Defense Tech (red can, aka first defense)
    Sabre Red

I've been hit with all and FOX brings the pain! Unfortunately they don't offer much for off duty carry.
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

A knife in each pocket is the extent of my extra arsenal. I also have a black belt but never mastered catching a bullet between my teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by bbarton713 View Post
    A knife in each pocket is the extent of my extra arsenal. I also have a black belt but never mastered catching a bullet between my teeth.
    I call BS on this; but, I'm sure you'd look really sharp in a bow-tie!
    YouTube - You Asked For It - Catching a Bullet with Teeth

Just imagine the liability if a television program tried this today...
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Actually, I've seen a Penn and Teller TV special where one of them catches a bullet in their teeth.

I am a little old and can't walk to good so I always have a cane, (Bubba Stik) , it could be a very good weapon. Wouldn't want to try to use it because it isn't made from soft candy there for it wouldn't digest very easy. I am always armed one way or another. I don't give trash so will not take trash. Be respectful at all time and all cases. One of my heroes said "Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    ... was curious how many/if any of you carried less-than-lethal alternatives to your sidearm?
    In addition to my H&K USP 40, I always have a pocket knife and try to keep an LED flashlight handy too. I suppose the light could be used as a non-lethal... but, its size doesn't make it all that much of a deterrent. And truthfully… if someone gets close enough to use this flashlight for defense—you’d better be good with your fist! Other than that, unless you consider a boot a non-lethal weapon… no, I don’t carry anything specifically.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

I carry a Pepper Blaster made by Kimber.

I don't know a lot about it but it has two charges that are supposed to "blast" an OC type substance at 90mph and then it sticks. This is supposed to be fast enough to not create a backspray and I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ClearSightTactical View Post
    Was curious how many/if any of you carried less-than-lethal alternatives to your sidearm?
    I always carry a knife and OC with me when I'm packin', and I almost always have a knife and OC when I'm not packin'.

OC is good, but one does need to know it's limits and where it fits in terms of force. There are some disreputable folks out there who would have one believe it's a magical wonder spray that wards off rapists, vampires, and the tax man.

Knives aren't consider non-lethal under the law, but my modest FMA experience shows me I can use one in a less than lethal manner.

- Strike with the flat
    - Strike with the spine
    - Strike with the butt (the knives, not yours)
    - Slash
    - Stab
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast