4th Grader Suspended for Possessing 2-Inch Gun @ School

4th Grader Suspended for Possessing 2-Inch Gun @ School

This is a discussion on 4th Grader Suspended for Possessing 2-Inch Gun @ School within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Two-Inch LEGO Gun Gets 4th-Grader Patrick Timoney in Trouble; Where's the NRA? Posted by Carlin DeGuerin Miller (WCBS) STATEN ISLAND, ...

gdcleanfun is offline Banned

Thumbs down 4th Grader Suspended for Possessing 2-Inch Gun @ School

Two-Inch LEGO Gun Gets 4th-Grader Patrick Timoney in Trouble; Where's the NRA?

Posted by Carlin DeGuerin Miller
    (WCBS)

STATEN ISLAND, NY (CBS) Patrick Timoney brought a gun to school Tuesday and nearly got suspended for it. Sounds reasonable until you see the gun – a two-inch LEGO toy gun.

Photo: LEGO toy that almost got Patrick Timoney suspended.

9-year-old Patrick, a fourth grader at PS 52 in Staten Island, N.Y., says he brought some of his LEGOs to school to show his friends during lunch but when the principal saw that one of those toys was a gun she pulled him out of class and called his parents.

A spokesman for the city's Department of Education says that the principal, Evelyn Matroianni, was just following the “no tolerance” policy of not allowing any weapons on campus.

Timoney’s mother, Laura Timoney, thinks the school overreacted.

"This isn't a safety issue," she said. "This is a judgment issue. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? It could poke you in the eye?"

Laura Timoney said Patrick was in tears when she got to the school and even asked to stay home from school Wednesday because he was afraid the principal was mad at him.

The toy gun goes with a policeman figure and is his favorite because his father, Pat Timoney, is a retired police officer.

This is clearly an over-reaction and is complete BS. How are we supposed to teach our children about history and events that are currently happening around the world when we can't bring a LEGO gun to school? I can see it now. Some poor student gets assigned to do a presentation on the Civil War, and he decides to build a scale model of the Battle of Gettysburg as a visual aid. He gets suspended or possibly expelled for having teeny soldiers with their teeny rifles.

When I first read the title, I thought that the 2" gun was something like the "Swiss Mini Gun" Introducing the world's smallest gun that fires deadly 300mph bullets - but is just TWO inches long | Mail Online, which is 2" long, but after seeing the photo of the little Lego policeman holding what is CLEARLY a toy rifle, am appalled by the response of the principal. Examination of the item would reveal that it has no moving parts, cannot be loaded, and most certainly cannot be mistaken for a "real" gun by any stretch of the imagination.

I seriously wonder about the intelligence of the school principal.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

gdcleanfun is offline Banned

Oops, I mistyped the title. He was almost suspended.

when this stuff happens the school board needs to be RECALLED the teacher FIRED the school district SUED.
    and people wonder why I believe in private school and home schooling.

How sad I truely feel bad for this little boy! Even thou he's young I bet when hes 50+ hes gonna say I remember when,,,
    Instead of something funny or silly ect!

More insanity from the public fool system.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

i read that.. the principle needs to be fired

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    More insanity from the public fool system.
    +1!!

1911 Headbanger is offline Leave Me Alone!!!

What have these coneheads been smoking? This just goes to show the insanity, not just in public schools, but in the public in general. When a teacher and a principal cannot make a rash decision and have to call the police over a 2" Lego toy, because the little Policeman has a gun. This is pure insanity and the entire system needs to be scrapped and totally rebuilt with people who actually have common sense. The policy was put in place to punish those and set an example of those who bring a gun or weapon to school. Now it boils over to toy guns, and even little action figures with a gun. What about the kid that was sent home and suspended because he drew a picture of him and his Dad hunting ducks. It was a crayon gun. Or the kid who was suspended, because he was playing with other kids and started shooting with his finger. Now a kid can't even make the pow pow sound and point his finger while playing army or cowboy. Sheesh! Insanity and stupidity. Mostly just insanity. :
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    What have these coneheads been smoking? This just goes to show the insanity, not just in public schools, but in the public in general. When a teacher and a principal cannot make a rash decision and have to call the police over a 2" Lego toy, because the little Policeman has a gun. This is pure insanity and the entire system needs to be scrapped and totally rebuilt with people who actually have common sense. The policy was put in place to punish those and set an example of those who bring a gun or weapon to school. Now it boils over to toy guns, and even little action figures with a gun. What about the kid that was sent home and suspended because he drew a picture of him and his Dad hunting ducks. It was a crayon gun. Or the kid who was suspended, because he was playing with other kids and started shooting with his finger. Now a kid can't even make the pow pow sound and point his finger while playing army or cowboy. Sheesh! Insanity and stupidity. Mostly just insanity. :
    With this kind of thinking, I'd hate to be the child who gets cast to play "Atticus Finch" in the school theater performance of "To Kill a Mockingbird". I'm sure that the gun shot will be some type of school policy violation.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor