S&W Sigma SW40VE 1st range trip
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

S&W Sigma SW40VE 1st range trip

This is a discussion on S&W Sigma SW40VE 1st range trip within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Took my SW40VE to the range for its first trip. Shot about 70 rounds with no real issues. Shot 20 ...

Default S&W Sigma SW40VE 1st range trip

Took my SW40VE to the range for its first trip. Shot about 70 rounds with no real issues. Shot 20 of my Speer Gold Dot hollow points and the rest was Winchester FMJ range/target ammo. First 50 box was 180 gr, but i broke into 2 magazines worth of the 165 gr Winchester too.

Seems to be a very friendly range, he didn't have any problem with anything i asked him and was more than courteous. He even only charged me for 1 hour and said i could stay as long as i want as long as i was done before close.

My only problem was the range is the same temp as outside because they have a lot of ventilation. So it was below freezing, which after 20 minutes my hands were about numb.

I had only 1 little problem and it was one of the 180 gr FMJ rounds that failed to eject all the way out of the chamber. It got stuck facing in the same position as it was in the barrel; it wasn't a stovepipe.

Not sure if this had anything to do with it but the way it happened.... i was checking the magazine to see if it was empty and it was. But there was that last round in the chamber so i fired it with no magazine in the gun and thats the round that failed to eject.

If anyone knows if that could have caused the FTE let me know so i don't have to worry about the cheap Winchester ammo having a feeding problem in the future with my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Took my SW40VE to the range for its first trip. Shot about 100 rounds with no real issues. Shot 20 of my Speer Gold Dot hollow points and the rest was Winchester FMJ range/target ammo. First 50 box was 180 gr, but i broke into 2 magazines worth of the 165 gr Winchester too.

Seems to be a very friendly range, he didn't have any problem with anything i asked him and was more than courteous. He even only charged me for 1 hour and said i could stay as long as i want as long as i was done before close.

My only problem was the range is the same temp as outside because they have a lot of ventilation. So it was below freezing, which after 20 minutes my hands were about numb.

I had only 1 little problem and it was one of the 180 gr FMJ rounds that failed to eject all the way out of the chamber. It got stuck facing in the same position as it was in the barrel; it wasn't a stovepipe.

Not sure if this had anything to do with it but the way it happened.... i was checking the magazine to see if it was empty and it was. But there was that last round in the chamber so i fired it with no magazine in the gun and thats the round that failed to eject.

If anyone knows if that could have caused the FTE let me know so i don't have to worry about the cheap Winchester ammo having a feeding problem in the future with my gun.

Some firearms are equipped with a magazine disconnect. This would prevent the pistol from firing if there is no magazine locked into place. If your pistol is so equipped, it could be a malfunction of this device that could have interfered with the firing.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

My brother has the 9mm version of the sigma. His jammed the first time he shot it because he didn't clean out that grease
    that comes on a gun when you buy it. After he cleaned it hasn't jammed since.

theicemanmpls is offline Banned

You field stripped, and thoroughly cleaned, and oiled your brand new firearm before using?

It is not unusual to have feed problems with a firearm such as yours. It should be find after 300-500 rounds.

How did you like that trigger on the sigma?

The indoor range near me is ventilated, and climate controlled . Of course where I am at, it gets very cold. Heating the range is mandatory.

The gun says right on the side it can fire with the magazine disconnected. I do not believe it has this disconnect issue, but it might since it was the only time it even tried to jam.

Also yes i did clean it before i took it to the range the first time. It was not very oily like some day they are coated with anti-rust compounds. I cleaned the barrel, feed ramp, and anything else i could. Oiled it on the 4 slide pieces that are metal on the frame and the other 2 places it recommends.

Also had to clean it after i got back from the range as the Winchester rounds i fired seemed to leave a lot of powder.

As far as the trigger is, its heavy and hard to aim steady and squeeze evenly. I found myself near the end of the trigger pull but not able to pull it and keep it completely steady a few times. It could obviously be better as everyone gripes about it, but it shoots very well at 10 and 20 yards if i hold it steady.

LiveBlues is offline Chuck & Ted 2012

Good luck with your gun. I had the same model and hated it. I just sold it a few weeks ago.

What did you hate about it?

I had one as well and sold it because I couldn't stand the trigger.

On a positive note though, you can learn to deal with the trigger. I saw someone make Distinguished Graduate with a Sigma at Front Sight. I'd recommend lots of dry practice.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

I had one and it shot low left. I know, some say it was me, but after i bought my XDm, i took both to the range. I was shooting great with the XDm, but the Sigma was low left. I could have sent it to S&W but i sold it. Yes, i did tell the new owner about my findings...

I held it still on a rest and it was dead center if i lined the sights up even at 10 yards, but the trigger pull doesn't break clean enough to shoot it that accurate at first.

Hope to get used to it so i can keep it more steady. I have felt a lot smoother triggers, but if i have to i will do the spring swap and just never carry it +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast