Why do Black Members of Congress almost unanimously support abortion and gun control? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why do Black Members of Congress almost unanimously support abortion and gun control?

This is a discussion on Why do Black Members of Congress almost unanimously support abortion and gun control? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Politicians want to blame objects (guns and other weapons) as purveyors of death, rather than place the blame on people ...

toreskha is offline Titles are un-American.

Politicians want to blame objects (guns and other weapons) as purveyors of death, rather than place the blame on people or specific social issues. Deflecting blame to guns means that local and state governments and people in more affluent neighborhoods who ignore the ghettos can safely absolve themselves of responsibility. Also, although many of the offenders themselves may not vote, they are often the children or relatives of voting constituents, who do not want to feel responsible for the problems that plague the society.

This approach results in the demonization of guns - essentially crucifying pieces of steel and plastic for the sins of the many. I live in Jacksonville, Florida; last year we had 152 murders, and we only have maybe 700,000 people in the city. It's a nice place in many ways, but we're a microcosm of this kind of thing. We some sprawling, squalid ghettos in some areas, and then on the opposite end, a few incredibly wealthy people.

Last year, we had a local football player who happened to be white (Tony Boselli) who has a nonprofit foundation, and wanted to take over and run an after-school program in the ghetto - at no cost to taxpayers! All they wanted was to sign a lease with the city to use the facility. Existing programs under Boselli's foundation are awesome, and most of the city is for it - except for E. Denise Lee, in whose district it is. Lee happens to be black, and she pulled out race as an issue and got onto this "Boselli isn't from around here, so he doesn't know what issues we have".

The real reason she doesn't want the program to go forward is because she was just recently elected after a hiatus off the City Council for a while, and she hasn't been involved from the beginning with the proposal - her predecessor had actually begun talks. In other words, she just doesn't want to take responsibility and accept something that could be of great benefit.

The situation is the same with other politicians' anti-gun positions. The main advantage of blaming guns is that when you accuse a gun of doing something bad, it can't directly speak up and defend itself. It's the ultimate scapegoat.
    Last edited by toreskha; 01-16-2008 at 06:19 AM.

It all depends. I know several members that are black that go to my church. None of them favor abortion or gun control. They are very conservitive.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

This is an interesting question. The easy answer is to say that black congressmen reflect the values of their constituency. That being the case it is easy enough to understand that in neighborhoods where crime and gun violence are rampant, it is a normal reaction to want to see the guns taken from the hands of the gang bangers. A good citizen living in these areas might reason that his/her owning a gun doesn't solve the problem. Some may even see gun ownership as only contributing to the problem and putting themselves at even greater risk.

And as far as abortion goes, I can easily understand the rationale. Ideally, the solution is to remove the causes that make abortion a viable choice. It is no easy task for a single mom to give a fatherless child much of a chance of making a decent life for him or herself. As long as young men believe it is "cool" to have multiple children with multiple women and support none of them, abortion is a reasonable choice.

These issues may be too pervasive to ever be remedied. I believe the government is responsible for part of the problem. I believe the media is partly responsible, black leadership or the absence thereof is partly responsible, and, of course, there is the matter of individual responsibility and the collective responsibility of all of us. To gauge the magnitude of our failure consider that a young man living in his hood has a greater chance of being killed or wounded than does the young man serving in Iraq. Moreover, the young man living in the hood has a five times greater probability of going to prison that he has of going to college. I could accept these figures more easily if we were talking about a third world country. But we are talking about the good old USA, and here such figures are inexcusable and totally unacceptable.

I am an old man. I was a young man when water fountains had a sign over them that said "colored" and "white," when the "back of the bus" rule applied, when a black man couldn't go to a movie or eat in a restaurant patronized by whites. That was all patently wrong. Yet I can also recall that the black communities at that time were composed of very strong family units, strong positive values, strong work ethics, and, despite the KKK, a much greater sense of security than is enjoyed by most black citizens today.

The civil rights legislation of the 60's corrected some wrongs but it ended up eroding many of the good things in black communities. We, and I mean all of us, mishandled the transitions badly. Today I think the brotherhood we had hoped for was only Martin's dream. It seems to me that antagonisms between races are as great or even greater than they have ever been.

Don't think for a minute that I am advocating turning back the clock to the Jim Crow days. That was a blot almost as reprehensible as slavery itself. And I might add that in the 50's I earned the ire of many of my contemporaries by strongly and actively supporting the civil rights movement. But it all was mishandled by everybody. We had a window of opportunity to fix things and we muffed it, both blacks and whites.

So today most blacks live in greater fear with less chance of a decent life than they have since Reconstruction. Many live in a virtual war zone. Others have had children killed by errant bullets, few feel safe in their own homes. I can easily understand why they want to abolish gun ownership and why they see a real need for abortion.

toreskha is offline Titles are un-American.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    These issues may be too pervasive to ever be remedied. I believe the government is responsible for part of the problem. I believe the media is partly responsible, black leadership or the absence thereof is partly responsible, and, of course, there is the matter of individual responsibility and the collective responsibility of all of us.
    Indeed. It's a self-sustaining cascade failure; many members of the society have essentially sunk to the lowest possible level of economic, cultural, social and familial productivity. Try to pull any members up, and the rest pull down harder. Even if you manage to pull some members off, it increases the concentration of the problems in the system by a level that is inverse to the volume. This increase in concentration then works to attract more members, keeping the system as a whole in a homeostatic state (or possibly in a growth state). In other words, if you try to fix the problem, it automatically becomes stronger and draws in others to compensate.

The only way to fix the problem is to so directly overwhelm the system that it breaks apart and is unable to maintain any kind of cohesion. If two or three of "all of us" were available to work with each person from the ghetto, then we would have some hope of breaking through. Even a 1:1 ratio would be effective. Currently, it's more like one person helping 15 or 30 kids, and no one is helping the adults.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

The wish to disarm black families is the one thing the NAACP and KKK have in common.:(
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

I've always wondered if Blacks embraced liberal positions because of the strong support that Liberals gave to the Civil Rights movement during the '50s and '60s.
    Hello All,

I am Black, A gun owner/lover/embracer and pro gun for sure. And as a business owner I am a repub all the way. My father raised me with guns and taught me how to first and formost respect them, as his father taught him. My family however express greater concearns than the ownership of guns. So unfortunatley they all liberals. And it does infact spinn from the 50-60's for equal rights. We were always poor/middle class during those days so I think its a generational gap in whats important and what is not. Good day all.!

Jackson and Sharpton haven't helped any either.

Ektarr is offline Dedicated Infidel

Hiya, CDMC, and welcome to the party. You'll have fun!

What I find interesting is that people still give credit to the Democrat party for embracing a multicultural position, when - in recent history, at least - the Republican cabinets have had more diversity in their staffing than the Democrats. It may be that people - Democrats - remember the days of Kennedy, when the Conservative Democrat was easy to find. But there are other aspects of that...

Those days are gone, but I guess habits are hard to break. If my history is correct, people like Orval Faubus, George Wallace, Ross Barnett ("no school will be integrated in Mississippi while I am your Governor"), Paul B. Johnson...all Democrats. In fact, go to Wickipedia and do a search for "List of Governors of ..." and plug in any Southern State. See what party the Governor represented during the heyday of the Civil Rights movement. Then, please tell me how the Democrats get credit for being at the head of the line when it came to Civil Rights.

It has been thoroughly established, and it's easy to find, that Gun Control is an offshoot (pun) of the Emancipation and, later, the Civil Rights movement...it hard to attack a man who has a gun pointed at you. The result was an effort to disarm the Black Man so he wouldn't be a threat. Being a Free Man was one thing...being able to actually defend yourself was another and didn't sit well.

Anyway, all this history is easy to find. I just was curious about the "Dems getting the credit" part.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gunny View Post
    I will offer an OPINION, however I am in no way qualified to speak on behalf of this demographic as I am a white middle-aged man.

I think it has to do with the culture in which one is raised. In my own case I grew up on a farm in the North West. We had guns and we used them, we went hunting used them to control predators such as Coyotes and rodents etc. It was just another tool for doing a certain job. A powerfull tool and you had to be careful using it just like using a chainsaw. But it was only a tool not sinister symble of crime or something I would associate with crime anymore than a car would be associated with drunk driving. That may be the case here as the only ones seen using such a object are either criminals or the police.
    +1 Exactly my sentiments.
    Ken.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    It all depends. I know several members that are black that go to my church. None of them favor abortion or gun control. They are very conservitive.

Take it from this Black Man... nor do I. Like it was said earlier "FREE MEN OWN GUNS...SLAVES DO NOT!"

Concealed Licensed in Washington, Oregon, and Florida.
    ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12