Chandler man shot, killed in gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chandler man shot, killed in gun

This is a discussion on Chandler man shot, killed in gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Chandler man shot, killed in gun mishap by Ofelia Madrid - Mar. 6, 2010 07:09 PM The Arizona Republic A ...

Default Chandler man shot, killed in gun

Chandler man shot, killed in gun mishap

by Ofelia Madrid - Mar. 6, 2010 07:09 PM
    The Arizona Republic

A 19-year-old Chandler man was shot dead Saturday after a gun he was looking at fired as it was being put away, police said.

Mark Martinez went with a friend to Jose Sandoval's home in the 2200 west block of Butler Street in Chandler around noon Saturday, a Chandler police spokesman said.

Martinez asked Sandoval, 58, to see Sandoval's gun.

Sandoval agreed and showed it to Martinez and his friend- Sandoval's nephew, police said.

After displaying the gun, Sandoval was putting it back into the holster when the gun fired, striking Martinez in the chest, police said. Martinez was transported to a local hospital where he died.

A Chandler police spokesman said the department would submit allegations of negligent homicide to the County Attorney's Office for review.

I was wondering how the gun fired and was striking Martinez in the chest, when Sandoval put a gun into the holster, that is impossible. Any discussion leave your comment here.

RRGlock23
    NRA Life Member

That is kind of odd--maybe it was a shoulder rig and the dude was standing behind him or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    Chandler man shot, killed in gun mishap

I was wondering how the gun fired and was striking Martinez in the chest, when Sandoval put a gun into the holster, that is impossible. Any discussion leave your comment here.

RRGlock23
    He was probably not wearing the holster, but holding it in his hand, in a horizontal position.

bill

Even the hunter safety course teaches you to never accept a loaded firearm from another person. Have them check it it, display it to you, and then you check it. Same thing happens when you give back.

Of course, the owner of the gun could have followed those procedures and then reloaded after getting back from the victim.

I've seen clerks at gun stores reach into a cabinet, hand a customer a gun, and then the customer trying the grip before either of the two had checked to see if the gun was loaded. When i was looking for my first handgun I had several clerks do just that. I always asked if they had checked the chamber. One acted annoyed by my question.

I've seen customers in Gander Mountain take a shotgun or rifle off the rack and sight it into the store, having no idea whether or not it is loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Even the hunter safety course teaches you to never accept a loaded firearm from another person. Have them check it it, display it to you, and then you check it. Same thing happens when you give back.

Of course, the owner of the gun could have followed those procedures and then reloaded after getting back from the victim.

I've seen clerks at gun stores reach into a cabinet, hand a customer a gun, and then the customer trying the grip before either of the two had checked to see if the gun was loaded. When i was looking for my first handgun I had several clerks do just that. I always asked if they had checked the chamber. One acted annoyed by my question.

I've seen customers in Gander Mountain take a shotgun or rifle off the rack and sight it into the store, having no idea whether or not it is loaded.
    No kidding. How is that time and time again people ignore the MOST BASIC of gun safety guidelines? Beyond me...

Tell me about it; I work at the gun counter at Academy. I always check the chamber before I hand a gun to a customer to look at it. Most of the time, right after I hand it over, they inadvertently point it right at me.

Maybe the guy was holstering the firearm while lying on his back? Sounds pretty fishy to me unless there was a ricochet or some other freak mishap.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Cocked _and_Locked is offline Parts Maker

Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    The Arizona Republic...
    News media aren't always known for their comprehensive, detailed, accurate account of events.

Quote Originally Posted by murph50 View Post
    That is kind of odd--maybe it was a shoulder rig and the dude was standing behind him or something.
    Yep! That is kind of odd, man. I doubt he was not standing behind him. He was standing front of him, face to face. That's terrible accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    He was probably not wearing the holster, but holding it in his hand, in a horizontal position.
    bill
    He is wearing the holster, that's what the news mentioned. I doubt he was not holding his firearm in a horizontal position. He put the firearm point down into the holster, so how does it discharged toward his chest.

I was THINKING when you are shooting at the bad guy who is seat inside the car, for example you are aiming to the dashboard of the car, and you shoot it to the windshield and dashboard, so the bullet will bounce off from the dashboard toward the bad guy's chest. Do you know what I mean ? That is the similar things when you put the gun into the holster, but it discharged, so the bullet will bounce off from the holster it goes toward in his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Maybe the guy was holstering the firearm while lying on his back? Sounds pretty fishy to me unless there was a ricochet or some other freak mishap. gf
    Nah, he was not lying on his back. Probably the manufacture puts a wrong one ricochet on the case of ammo. But I doubt it. The bullet probably bounce off from the holster toward in his chest, alike when you are aiming to the windshield and dashboard of the car. You shoot it and the bullet will bounce off from the dashboard toward the bad guy's chest who seats inside the car.

gf[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    News media aren't always known for their comprehensive, detailed, accurate account of events.
    PFFFTTT ha ha ha
    NRA Life Member

Man, must remove the magazine and pull the slide, ejected the ammo out from the chamber, must check if it is not unloading inside the chamber, and then you can displaying your firearm to your friend.

BUT I rather KEEP YOURSELF and do not sharing to your friends about that you are a gun owner and have a concealed weapon permit, man.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast