5.7x28..... Man stopper?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

5.7x28..... Man stopper?

This is a discussion on 5.7x28..... Man stopper? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; So with my recent purchase of a PS90 I've found people have two feelings about the 5.7X28 round. I've had ...

Default 5.7x28..... Man stopper?

So with my recent purchase of a PS90 I've found people have two feelings about the 5.7X28 round. I've had people tell me that it's not much more then a .22 mag and other say it's a devastating round. So my question is do you feel that the 5.7x28 is just a glorified .22 mag or does it actually have the knock down stopping power needed in a self defense situation.

I’ve done some research but I’m interested to see how you guys and gals feel about this round.

Last edited by lukem; 05-01-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Sadly the TERRORIST from the army used that round with success in Texas

Just about any round can be a "Man Stopper". The 5.7 X 28 is normally around 2500 fps. There's very little mass in the projectiles. You're looking at projectiles from 30gr to 50gr with under 500 ft-lbs of energy. Compared to a .223/5.56 with a 55gr projectile you are getting around 3000 to 4000 fps with close to 1500 ft-lbs of energy. Would the FN round be a Man Stopper? Yes it would since you have 30 to 50 rounds to play with. For a close quarter firearm the size and weight makes it a good choice.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    So with my recent purchase of a PS90 I've found people have two feelings about the 5.7X28 round. I've had people tell me that it's not much more then a .22 mag and other say it's a devastating round. So my question is do you feel that the 5.7x28 is just a glorified .22 mag or does it actually have the knock down stopping power needed in a self defense situation.

Iíve done some research but Iím interested to see how you guys and gals feel about this round.
    Never tried a PS90, but I own a Five-Seven which uses the same rounds. The rounds are better out of the PS90 than a FSN because they are faster (SS197 is about 1800 fps out of the FSN, but 2200 I believe out of the PS90). Elite Ammunition makes some really good ammo in the 5.7x28 caliber (ranging from subsonic to self defense to hunting to penetration rounds). These rounds are faster than standard FNH rounds, and you should look into them. They are a backordered quite a bit due to the demand, and lack of supplies, but I think you would be happy with their ammo.

Don't know how they would would in a PS90, but the self defense rounds for my FsN are great. They are about 40 grain bullets, and go much faster than the SS192, SS195, and SS197 rounds. Like the another poster said, they are smaller than other rounds (you won't be finding 158 grain 5.7 x 28 like you will for .38 special).

I know some law enforcement agencies are using that round, and I think the Secret Service uses the P90 (or PS90) so it can't be that bad a round if they are using it.

If you do a google search, there are forums just for this round (and for your gun) which you should look. Don't call it a .22 MAG because the people won't be happy with you. Once I get my permit, I will be carrying my FSN, and even though it is a large gun, I think it will be a good self defense weapon once I get it concealed.

Default pipsqueak

Quote Originally Posted by 442js View Post
    Never tried a PS90, but I own a Five-Seven which uses the same rounds. The rounds are better out of the PS90 than a FSN because they are faster (SS197 is about 1800 fps out of the FSN, but 2200 I believe out of the PS90). Elite Ammunition makes some really good ammo in the 5.7x28 caliber (ranging from subsonic to self defense to hunting to penetration rounds). These rounds are faster than standard FNH rounds, and you should look into them. They are a backordered quite a bit due to the demand, and lack of supplies, but I think you would be happy with their ammo.

Don't know how they would would in a PS90, but the self defense rounds for my FsN are great. They are about 40 grain bullets, and go much faster than the SS192, SS195, and SS197 rounds. Like the another poster said, they are smaller than other rounds (you won't be finding 158 grain 5.7 x 28 like you will for .38 special).

I know some law enforcement agencies are using that round, and I think the Secret Service uses the P90 (or PS90) so it can't be that bad a round if they are using it.

If you do a google search, there are forums just for this round (and for your gun) which you should look. Don't call it a .22 MAG because the people won't be happy with you. Once I get my permit, I will be carrying my FSN, and even though it is a large gun, I think it will be a good self defense weapon once I get it concealed.
    Every year or so several of these pipsqueak rounds appear and like magic they disappear almost as fast. Overpenetrating lightweight rounds serve no real purpose except to tantalize the airheads amongst us. In the blink off an eye they'll be gone. Sounds like were about ready for the 10mm Gumbah(anecked down 10mm shoopting a 9mm bullet) at say 2100 feet per second, from a 4in barrel. Ruger woul;dd call it the 10mm SAG. Sig would call it the 4o magnum, and Smith the 357 NITRO.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    Every year or so several of these pipsqueak rounds appear and like magic they disappear almost as fast. Overpenetrating lightweight rounds serve no real purpose except to tantalize the airheads amongst us. In the blink off an eye they'll be gone. Sounds like were about ready for the 10mm Gumbah(anecked down 10mm shoopting a 9mm bullet) at say 2100 feet per second, from a 4in barrel. Ruger woul;dd call it the 10mm SAG. Sig would call it the 4o magnum, and Smith the 357 NITRO.
    I wouldn't call the 5.7 a new round. It has been around for 10 years or so. Of course, compared to a .38 it is a baby. It does have some good purposes, but it hasn't gotten that popular. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but like a lot of other calibers, it does have some good uses. I wouldn't want to go hunting with it, but for SD, it isn't a bad round with the proper ammunition. It shouldn't overpenetrate unless that is what you want, and get the appropriate ammo. The factory SS195 ad SS197SR will not usually over penetrate, and none of Elite Ammunition designed for SD will either. If you a few feet away, it might, but then so could a lot of other calibers.

I am certainly not saying this is the best round ever created, and it might not be the best round for SD, but it will certainly do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Just about any round can be a "Man Stopper". The 5.7 X 28 is normally around 2500 fps. There's very little mass in the projectiles. You're looking at projectiles from 30gr to 50gr with under 500 ft-lbs of energy. Compared to a .223/5.56 with a 55gr projectile you are getting around 3000 to 4000 fps with close to 1500 ft-lbs of energy. Would the FN round be a Man Stopper? Yes it would since you have 30 to 50 rounds to play with. For a close quarter firearm the size and weight makes it a good choice.
    Gotta go with Red Hat here. Overall firepower with that weapon is the key. Low recoil, quick follow up shots, and 30-50 rounds to dump into a target quickly... Yea it will kill a guy/gal.

One stop shot, eh... Perhaps not... I'd still take one if it grew in the garden.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Gotta go with Red Hat here. Overall firepower with that weapon is the key. Low recoil, quick follow up shots, and 30-50 rounds to dump into a target quickly... Yea it will kill a guy/gal.

One stop shot, eh... Perhaps not... I'd still take one if it grew in the garden.

Peace...
    That is true, it does have very low recoil (I also have a .38 special snubby that can fire +P, and that has a lot of recoil with +P ammo). There is a lot of muzzle flash though. Comes with three twenty round magazines (except in states that don't permit it, then it comes with three ten round magazines), so you have have 61 rounds available in a short time. There are also extenders so instead of twenty rounds, each magazine will hold thirty rounds.

Shoot at the right area...one shot is certainly possible.

Plus the gang on Stargate SG-1 didn't have any problems taking out the Goa'uld with them!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

wolfhunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Plus the gang on Stargate SG-1 didn't have any problems taking out the Goa'uld with them!
    Yep, it's a good round for a full auto carbine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast