Reloading Powders - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Reloading Powders

This is a discussion on Reloading Powders within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I've been using accurate #2 and #5 for most of my pistol rounds but recently tried some 231. I got ...

I've been using accurate #2 and #5 for most of my pistol rounds but recently tried some 231. I got great results with my cast bullets using accurate but it was a dirty powder. 231 seems to shoot much cleaner and leave no leading. I'm going to do some accuracy testing next range trip but I may start using 231 as my primary pistol powder.

for my .223 and .308 I use TAC and Varget. Varget seeming to be slightly more accurate.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    I've been using accurate #2 and #5 for most of my pistol rounds but recently tried some 231. I got great results with my cast bullets using accurate but it was a dirty powder. 231 seems to shoot much cleaner and leave no leading. I'm going to do some accuracy testing next range trip but I may start using 231 as my primary pistol powder.

for my .223 and .308 I use TAC and Varget. Varget seeming to be slightly more accurate.
    Is this what everyone has found? Does 231 do well for not leaving alot of lead behind?

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Is this what everyone has found? Does 231 do well for not leaving alot of lead behind?
    There will be many factors here. Mixture of lead alloy, how hard or soft they are. How hot you load your rounds. How and with what are the bullets lubed? Ect.

I cast my bullets using used wheel weights I pick up from tire shops. I then drop them from the molds into water to harden them. After they cool they are tumbled lubed with alox. When using Accurate #2 I had to keep the rounds loaded on the bottom end of the range. Any hotter and it start leading pretty bad. 230gr lead loaded with CCI primers and 5.2 grains of powder would cause just a slight bit of leading just past the chamber but shot extremely accurate. With 231 I was able to go up into the high end of the range with no leading at all in both my Kimber Gold Match II and service size XD45.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    There will be many factors here. Mixture of lead alloy, how hard or soft they are. How hot you load your rounds. How and with what are the bullets lubed? Ect.

I cast my bullets using used wheel weights I pick up from tire shops. I then drop them from the molds into water to harden them. After they cool they are tumbled lubed with alox. When using Accurate #2 I had to keep the rounds loaded on the bottom end of the range. Any hotter and it start leading pretty bad. 230gr lead loaded with CCI primers and 5.2 grains of powder would cause just a slight bit of leading just past the chamber but shot extremely accurate. With 231 I was able to go up into the high end of the range with no leading at all in both my Kimber Gold Match II and service size XD45.
    Thanks alot Kimber.

I dont make my own projectiles. I've been buying "Rogers better bullets" for my reloading.

...but recently tried some 231. I got great results with my cast bullets using accurate but it was a dirty powder. 231 seems to shoot much cleaner and leave no leading.
    KimberPB, it has been my experience that if you load using W231(HP-38) towards the higher end of the load range, you will experience little to no leading and a more complete burn of the gunpowder. YMMV. I don't cast my own lead; I use Space Coast Bullets or Missouri Bullets with very good results. These powders also meter well. Once again, my opinion only.
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Quote Originally Posted by kn1080 View Post
    Thanks alot Kimber.

I dont make my own projectiles. I've been buying "Rogers better bullets" for my reloading.
    Not a problem kn1080. It'll take a little trial and error to find out the right amount of powder for the bullet. I started off mid range, shot a box, then checked for leading. With the #2 it leaded pretty bad so I went back and bumped the powder amount down a bit.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by benzuncle View Post
    KimberPB, it has been my experience that if you load using W231(HP-38) towards the higher end of the load range, you will experience little to no leading and a more complete burn of the gunpowder. YMMV. I don't cast my own lead; I use Space Coast Bullets or Missouri Bullets with very good results. These powders also meter well. Once again, my opinion only.
    Thanks benzuncle! That was exactly what I was seeing also. I loaded 100 rounds toward the top of the powder range and they seemed to shoot well, no leading at all, and the firearm was much cleaner afterwards.
    - Benjamin Franklin

I reiterate guys UNIQUE, they cleaned it up, supper reliable, feeds well in the progressive, reasonable price......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

231 for all my handgun calibers. I know it isn't optimum for some of them, but good enough for me. 231 meters great and covers everything I load, cheap, easy to find when I run low.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123