Florida Gunman Shoots During School Board Meeting - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Florida Gunman Shoots During School Board Meeting

This is a discussion on Florida Gunman Shoots During School Board Meeting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by enbarnes I saw an interview with the guard -- he said he put 3 rounds into the ...

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by enbarnes View Post
    I saw an interview with the guard -- he said he put 3 rounds into the BG's center of mass.
    That didn't stop the BG -- he still was able to fire from his position on the floor. What was the guard shooting? It apparently wasn't enough to STOP the BG.
    9mm maybe? You keep hearing stories of them not working on people on drugs to the point that they go thru the full load before it does anything.
    Military went thru the same problems with the .38 way back and that was why the .45 Colt M1911 was born.

There are a few things I noticed when re-watching the video of the shooting. One was the fact that this guy seemed either stoned, intoxicated or somehow physically impaired; notice his physical actions throughout the video. Additionally, he doesn't seem to really have been trying to shot any of the board members. Notice that he takes more than enough time to properly aim and target the guy who admits to signing off on firing his wife yet the shot ends up hitting the books directly in front of the board member. The second shot, he intentionally fires into the floor or lower front of the wooden wal in front of the board members. The third and fourth shots are fired at the security guy. No matter what, this guy was NOT experienced! His trigger control is extremely sloppy, thankfully for the board members as well as being physically impaired and noe seemingly wanted to kill these people. At any rate, this ended as best it could all things considered and with it being a GFZ. Will people never learn?

I still stand by he was not there to kill anyone. If he was, the old lady who tried knocking the gun out of his hand with her purse would have been the first one to get shot instead he grabs her arm and she falls to the floor. He tells the people in the back to leave the room now who would let people leave knowing that they will go and call the police and inform the security guards. Him spray painting the symbol from the v for vendetta on the wall really servers no point if you are going to release the witness for you don't know if the video will ever be scene by the public so having people in the room as witness would be the only way to know that the actions taken by you would reach the public.

When I first seen this on CNN I though anti-gun movement attempt being that no one was injured until I heard that the shooter shot himself in the head then that made me wonder why he would commit suicided if he was trying to do the death by cop ending. Most who chose death by cop believe that they will go to hell if the kill themselves so they force the police officers to kill them so the can still get into heaven or are just to scared to kill themselves. The later one will usually have no problem injuring or killing others due to them not believing in haven or hell.

With that being said I can only come to the conclusion that the man did not want to kill anyone but himself. As pointed out by the man who asked the shooter to let everyone else go for he was the only one responsible for firing his wife the shoots being fired were not blanks as he saw the bullet holes left in the wall. The only other option is that he could not hit the far side of a barn and was just a bad shot with a handgun. I ruled that one out due to firing a handgun at a persons center mass that is ten feet away from you will still end up hitting the target just not where you were at.

Now all that is left is to sit and wait to see what laws they will try and come up with to prevent this from happening again. But as pointed out by most here criminals don't care about the laws for that is what makes them criminals. Now the Gun Free Zone might be extended from the school zone.

Doesn't matter whether he intended t kill anyone or not -- he was brandishing the gun. Had I been there and carrying I would have reacted as though he was trying to kill me. But I carry a 9 myself, and now I'm wondering whether I need to carry something heftier. The guard put him on the floor but didn't stop him, and if the guard was shooting a 9 it obviously wasn't enough.

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

Quote Originally Posted by enbarnes View Post
    Doesn't matter whether he intended t kill anyone or not -- he was brandishing the gun. Had I been there and carrying I would have reacted as though he was trying to kill me. But I carry a 9 myself, and now I'm wondering whether I need to carry something heftier. The guard put him on the floor but didn't stop him, and if the guard was shooting a 9 it obviously wasn't enough.
    Who's to say a .45 or a .357 mag would have been enough?? Even with those rounds, unless you get a head shot or a spine shot, the person probably isn't going to be instantly incapacitated. Even tearing open a major blood vessel will require a good 10-20 seconds of bleeding to render somebody harmless even under the best circumstances.

Let's talk about adrenaline. Look at the jewelry store owner in Houston the other day that was critically wounded in a shootout but didn't even realize it until after he had attended to his wife. Critically wounded in 3 places (including the abdomen) but he still continued to return fire and killed all 3 of the perps. We've all read stories about men severely wounded in combat yet they've continued to function at a high level in spite of their wounds. It's all adrenaline. It's been keeping people (and animals) "in the fight" so-to-speak for a couple of hundred million years!

It takes quite a bit of luck to drop somebody instantly no matter what you're shooting, especially in a high-stress situation like that. Unless a detailed study of the perp's wounds is done, we'll never know exactly if a more powerful cartridge would have done any better.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567