Shaking Hands - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shaking Hands

This is a discussion on Shaking Hands within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; When I first learned to shoot a pistol (ROTC team while in college) the coach advised us to hold a ...

When I first learned to shoot a pistol (ROTC team while in college) the coach advised us to hold a steel block plane out at arm's length as long as we could several times a day. After about 10 days the shakes disappeared. It's strengthening the muscles used to hold a pistol.

Today I do this drill with each hand every so often especially when I notice shakes beginning to develop. Try it. It helps.

Back in MP school we were required to hold our pistol belt fully loaded with ammo, 45 and a full canteen at arms length just like JimPage explained above, it was to strengthen the arm and did help with the shakes...

I have been shooting a very long time, as you can see by the picture above, I have gotten pretty good at it. I am the guy shooting clays with a pistol. For a long time I had a problem with "Wobble" and it was give and take like you are explaining. There really is nothing that can be done about it for those that have it. In some people it is severe, in some it comes and goes, and in some it is barely noticeable. I have lots and lots of students that ask me the same question, and the truth is that the best way to overcome it it to learn to work with it. I was able to steady mine some with thousands of shots with snap caps and lots of dry fire drills, but it still has not gone away.

This is an example of 5 shots at about 25 yards with a rented pistol. Granted this was when I was still on active duty, and I was shooting a lot more often, but this was before I started the dry fire and I still had that same wobble. I had just learned to work with it at this point.

You can see that everyone has that wobble if you really take a look at the Crimson Trace video's. Even Todd Jarret has that same movement when the lazer is on the paper, and he is one of the best tactical shooters in the world. Learning to pay attention to your breathing, trigger control, grip, and all the other basic marksmanship skills will help take your mind off of it, and will steady it up some too. If you are concentrating on it, then it will be worse than if you forget about it.
    .... And let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. ~God
    http://www.cjdefense.com/ Wisconsin

handgonnetoter Guest

I originally asked this question because, just as iron sharpens iron, we learn from each other. Thanks for all the responses to my question and what I have read so far all makes sense. I think that, from going back to the range on Friday morning, if I get agressive and shoot harder and faster, I tend to shake less. I get aggrivated because I shot expert three years in a row with my M-16 in the Marines and was a range coach to those who had trouble with qualifying. When I shoot offhand, with the rifle, I am even more steady than most, but quiver all over with the handgun. I will try the things that you all have mentioned and I guess quit beating myself up over the matter. Thanks for the advice.

I went to see 2 different doctors about my hands shaking. They both said basically the same thing, "Get used to it."
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Like many of you, I've had the shakes all my life, as did my mother. My wife was worried that I had Parkinson's. So off to the doctor I went. He asked if had the shakes when I was at rest. I said no. Then he asked if I had the shakes after a beer or two. Again I sad no. His diagnosis...a benign familial tremor.

Re shooting with the shakes, I use a rail-mounted laser to help with trigger control. The laser provides visual feedback on how good, or bad, my trigger pulls are.

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    I shot my first handgun while I was in the Marines many years ago, but have always suffered, about 50% of the time, with hands that shake! It really raised hell with accuracy at times. I don't always have that problem and I don't think it has anything to do with getting older because I had that problem years ago when I was young and in my prime. I was a rifle range coach while in the service a couple of times because I shot expert three years in a row and am rock steady with the rifle. Does anyone else out there have this issue? Am I trying too hard or just have some strange physical problem that other people have too? Looking for some advice from some of you experienced and trained handgunners out there to find some answers. Thanks.
    Yes!
    I've had shakey hand syndrome since I injured my back & nervous system "25" years ago. Virtually, everyone I teach how to shoot ends up out shooting me.

The only thing that helps at the range is several deep breath just before each shot.

I also use a topical "essential" oil blend that helps with pain and relaxes the nerves. (My wife mixes it up from essential oils she buys at the Health Food Store.)

Besides that, a prescribed "muscle relaxer" about an hour before I shoot helps; (a little bit).

Thank God I can still get some good hits at normal SD distances.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12