I have a question regarding rifle KITS

I have a question regarding rifle KITS

This is a discussion on I have a question regarding rifle KITS within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Hello, I have found several websites that sell "kit rifles", which I have found to be money savers based on ...

Question I have a question regarding rifle KITS

Hello,

I have found several websites that sell "kit rifles", which I have found to be money savers based on a limited income. One rifle kit in particular the Hungarian AMD-65 (AK variant) I have found be be very inexpensive, but in addition to the kit, the purchaser would also have to buy the reciever seperate. That is fine but since I live in Michigan I can't seem to find a "sensable" reference to the gun law that "clearly" defines this weapon as a rifle or a SBR which would require registration in the catagory of a pistol. As a "wire folder" this gun is definately a rifle to me, but I don't want my "common sense" mentality to steer me into purchasing something that may be defined (by law) as illegal. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Gary

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

Quote Originally Posted by livewire_48529 View Post
    Hello,

I have found several websites that sell "kit rifles", which I have found to be money savers based on a limited income. One rifle kit in particular the Hungarian AMD-65 (AK variant) I have found be be very inexpensive, but in addition to the kit, the purchaser would also have to buy the reciever seperate. That is fine but since I live in Michigan I can't seem to find a "sensable" reference to the gun law that "clearly" defines this weapon as a rifle or a SBR which would require registration in the catagory of a pistol. As a "wire folder" this gun is definately a rifle to me, but I don't want my "common sense" mentality to steer me into purchasing something that may be defined (by law) as illegal. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks,

Gary
    Here's a brief rundown on federal law concerning the kit in question (and any foreign kits):

As a receiverless kit it is not considered to be a firearm and as a result isn't subject to any federal firearm laws. These types of kits are considered to be "demilitarized". Assembling it with a receiver makes it an imported assault weapon and as a result it's subject to 922(r). If the barrel length is 16+ " then it's a simple matter of replacing some of the foreign parts with U.S. made parts. No more than 10 of the parts (including the mag parts) can be imported. The rest of it has to be domestic.

If the barrel length is less than 16" (and the gun has a stock) then things get tricky. In addition to 922(r) compliance shown above you must also register your weapon with the ATF as a short-barrelled rifle (SBR). This consists of filling out ATF form 1, getting approval from your local police chief, and paying a $200 tax on it. Then you wait several months for approval. This has to happen before you assemble your SBR.

The AMD-65 has a vertical foregrip and as a result can never be classified as a pistol under federal law (pistols are defined as being designed to be used by one hand. The foregrip implies that two hands are to be used).
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Default Thank you!

Thanks B2! That clears a few things up, I definatley appreciate the imput. But would it still be considered "foreign" if the reciever was stamped here in the US?

Gary

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

Quote Originally Posted by livewire_48529 View Post
    Thanks B2! That clears a few things up, I definatley appreciate the imput. But would it still be considered "foreign" if the reciever was stamped here in the US?

Gary
    Yup. Still considered foreign even with a U.S. receiver. 922(r) has got to be one of the most ridiculous firearm laws ever put into effect. It's only purpose is to make you go out and bastardize your AK (or FN, or Galil, etc.) with inferior domestic parts.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.