how to remove heat shield from MP 15 AR rifle??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree2Likes

how to remove heat shield from MP 15 AR rifle??

This is a discussion on how to remove heat shield from MP 15 AR rifle?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; can someone walk me through how to remove a heatguard from ar/15 and is there a special tool for the ...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida/Miami
    Posts
    93

    Question how to remove heat shield from MP 15 AR rifle??

    can someone walk me through how to remove a heatguard from ar/15 and is there a special tool for the front sight to adjust it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658

    Default

    You mean the handguard over the barrel correct? Pictures of the weapon in question would help.

    If they are the factory plastic 2 piece guards, you have to grasp the ring at the receiver end and pull it back toward the rear of the rifle. It's best to put the rifle butt end on the floor for this procedure, it will require some force. As you pull the ring back you will see the lip of the guard that is held under the ring. If you get the ring back far enough it will come off... Tools help... See the video..



    You can move the front sight post up and down using just a small screw driver to depress the pin. There are tools that make it very easy and will cause less damage. I have one that cost me $7.00 and goes on a keyring...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    314

    Default

    The front sight is designed to use the tip of a FMJ loaded round to depress the little pin and turn the sight. A tool is much easier to use and doesn't leave marks on the sight. You can get one from Brownells.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Tip: Do not use a live round on the front sight. Use a dummy round, a small punch, or an AR sight tool. BASIC trainees were taught that a common nail can be used, which were usually in sandbags on the range for us.

    The heat shields should only be removed from the handguards for cleaning purposes, then reinstalled. There's also a handguard tool available for that guard ring. They can be a real pain by hand, but not impossible. Once the handguards are removed you'll run into one of two heat shield types.

    The first will be snapped into a groove. Simply remove them from that groove and they're out. The other has plastic plastic rivets pushed through the shield that are then heated and crushed to keep them from being removed. If you have the plastic rivet type, do not remove them as you may not ever get them back on.

    Heat shields are there to protect your hands from burns as well as to keep the handguards from melting.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Thanks for the handguard removal info as I want to swap my MOE style for picatinny style. Seems easier to find accessories for picatinny than MOE.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babarock View Post
    Thanks for the handguard removal info as I want to swap my MOE style for picatinny style. Seems easier to find accessories for picatinny than MOE.
    Magpul sells rail sections that can be attached via screws to the Magpul MOE handguards in different lengths. I have 3 rail sections on mine that allow me to attach the bipod, RVG, weapon light, laser, coffee maker, shaving mirror... etc...

    DSG Arms and others have 'em...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Magpul sells rail sections that can be attached via screws to the Magpul MOE handguards in different lengths. I have 3 rail sections on mine that allow me to attach the bipod, RVG, weapon light, laser, coffee maker, shaving mirror... etc...

    DSG Arms and others have 'em...
    Thank you for the info. I like that idea better. Much more flexible.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babarock View Post
    Thank you for the info. I like that idea better. Much more flexible.
    Welcome... I love the look and feel of the Magpul MOE gear. Lighter weight also.. Here is mine with some gear attached..

    Name:  6shootercarry-albums-pics-picture3723-ar-01-24-2011-02.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  207.0 KB

    Name:  6shootercarry-albums-pics-picture3874-ar15-01.jpg
Views: 4068
Size:  229.7 KB

    And one with the rail section shown. The rail sections attach at the 2, 6, and 10 o'clock positions on the rail. They come with the hardware required and are rugged...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida/Miami
    Posts
    93

    Default

    what carry handle from midway will match the gun because i hear some are different finishes? also do all the carry handles come with the option for a picattiny on top?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Welcome... I love the look and feel of the Magpul MOE gear. Lighter weight also.. Here is mine with some gear attached..

    Name:  6shootercarry-albums-pics-picture3723-ar-01-24-2011-02.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  207.0 KB

    Name:  6shootercarry-albums-pics-picture3874-ar15-01.jpg
Views: 4068
Size:  229.7 KB

    And one with the rail section shown. The rail sections attach at the 2, 6, and 10 o'clock positions on the rail. They come with the hardware required and are rugged...
    Great pictures, thanks. Very nice configuration. But where exactly is the coffee dispensed, need to know so I can position cup correctly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •