Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm?

This is a discussion on Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; as a former cabbie the last thing i want to hear from a fare is hi, i have a gun! ...

as a former cabbie the last thing i want to hear from a fare is hi, i have a gun! we were not allowed to carry any kind of weapon as per company rules (not even pepper spray) but after being robbed once at screwdriver point i discovered that a 4D maglight was real handy for spotting addresses at night. final score, bg's 1 me 3( two concussions and a broken shoulder) it seems that maglights work on both ends! the only time i would inform a driver is when entering a cab and my weapon was accidentally revealed and you are SURE the driver saw it. at that point i would tell them and show them my permit just to reassure them i had no bad intent.

My point is this:

There are plenty of people who carry concealed firearms who say it is "polite", "responsible", etc. to tell a police officer of the presence of the firearm. They will criticize those who don't, won't, and recommend against informing a police officer if not required by law to do so. Yet those exact same persons say, "NO WAY! Why would I tell a taxi driver about my gun?!?"

My question is, why should I or anyone else tell a police officer about a lawfully carried gun when no one thinks you should tell the taxi driver? What does it accomplish to tell a cop about the same gun that telling a taxi driver doesn't accomplish? So why do some people feel they should tell a cop when they aren't required by law to, but turn around and say NO WAY to the taxi driver? Taxi drivers are in more danger from guns on their jobs every day than police officers are.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

SC requires to notify LEO's when they present themselves to someone that CC. Don't read noting in the Law that requires me to notify a CABBIE. CC is CC.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

G50AE is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    SC requires to notify LEO's when they present themselves to someone that CC. Don't read noting in the Law that requires me to notify a CABBIE. CC is CC.
    Concealed means concealed!

" Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?" Not no, but H*** NO!You shouldn't tell anyone, unless legally required to do so.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

The following is simply my opinion:
    c-o-n-c-e-a-l-e-d. I don't inform my barber, grocery store clerk, post office clerk, jiffy lube tech, car wash attendents, plumbers/electricians, insurance professional, and on, and on, and on... Hell, i didn't inform my kid's teachers on parent/teacher conference night, church clergy or members, and i don't tell bank tellers or my employer. Sign or no sign, law or no law, the only time I've gone unarmed in a place of any business (or anywhere) is the court house where they use a metal detector. I may or may not have (wink) CC'd into the police pen to register the two guns I carried otherwise. (Before this year my city had a gun registry whether or not you had a CWP, made sense to register at least my two primary carry guns in case they ever had to be used. One less ankle biting to endure from any prosecuter)

For me, and it's only my opinion, a 'no guns' sign or law dictating where I can or can't have at least a chance to defend my life is at the very least disgusting, morally repugnant. Anyone suggesting I should inform a taxi driver I'm carrying is someone I'd picture wearing a propeller-beenie cap and a diaper while politely saying "thank you".

To the authors of the linked to written piece offered in the original posting: Thank you. ...They are proof that people can have common sense educated right out of their skulls.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    My point is this:

There are plenty of people who carry concealed firearms who say it is "polite", "responsible", etc. to tell a police officer of the presence of the firearm. They will criticize those who don't, won't, and recommend against informing a police officer if not required by law to do so. Yet those exact same persons say, "NO WAY! Why would I tell a taxi driver about my gun?!?"

My question is, why should I or anyone else tell a police officer about a lawfully carried gun when no one thinks you should tell the taxi driver? What does it accomplish to tell a cop about the same gun that telling a taxi driver doesn't accomplish? So why do some people feel they should tell a cop when they aren't required by law to, but turn around and say NO WAY to the taxi driver? Taxi drivers are in more danger from guns on their jobs every day than police officers are.
    Sorry LCDR, I think your original intent was lost somewhere along the way. I get it, though.
    Ton up!

I have no ill feelings towards cab drivers but I don't see why I would want to do that. It could easily get confrontational if not downright dangerous (considering that a lot of them don't speak English very well and I am not a native speaker either).

You could say the same about any other place you might go and enough of them already ban weapons, I don't see the need to potentially further limit myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?
    A taxi driver? I first read this thread and thought you were kidding. I still think you may be pulling our collective "leg".

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

I don't see him pulling anyones leg. The main reasons for telling a police officer you are carrying have been, "its courteous," and "officer safety." Can anyone explain how it makes an officer safer? If its solely based on courtesy, then a taxi driver who is 4x times more likely to be shot, should have the same courtesy as police, if not more. If the police can confiscate you firearm for officer safety, shouldn't a taxi driver also be able to do so for their safety? Would you hand over your weapon until you reach your destination? These questions are for those that willingly give up their rights, those that would not inform or consent to either an officer or cab driver need not answer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast