How young is too young for a firearm?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

How young is too young for a firearm?

This is a discussion on How young is too young for a firearm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; My husband was so excited when my son turned 6 because he was old enough to go to the firing ...

Default How young is too young for a firearm?

My husband was so excited when my son turned 6 because he was old enough to go to the firing range. Now that he's 7, he has his own BB gun and is shooting like mad. He gets up early to shoot. Right after school, he runs to the yard to start shooting.

People look at us like we're crazy (we live in the city) but he's loving it. And getting better and stronger at the same time. What do you think?

I started my grandson age ten shooting a bb, IMHO a youngster should be at an age where they understand safety first and foremost

I gave my son a BB gun at age 4, a .22 rifle at age 7, and a 12ga shotgun at age 11. He won the NM Junior Skeet Shooting Championship at age 12.
    Charlie

You can't put a number on it. It's all about maturity and discipline...

tenesseevols has it right. It depends on the child. My stepson? BB gun at 10, and it may have been a little early. He's now 17, and I haven't let him shoot a powder-gun yet. (He lives primarily with his biological dad now, so that's his responsibility now.) My daughter? BB gun at 7 (which she's about to turn,) and I figure she'll be ready for a powder-gun by 10.

I had a BB gun at age 6 and Marlin lever action 22 at 10 (1964) but I was raised on a ranch in the Sandhills of Nebraska nearest neighbor was 6 miles nearest town 23 miles...... Every one deemed me responsible enough not to shoot the livestock........ Today a life like that is not PC. Depends how well they trained and how responsible they seem
    It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men....

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Three boys all shooting at different ages maturity and safety count one a 7 one at 10 one at 5, dove hunting by 10 deer one year later.

Agree with what vols said... Maturity is the key! Every kid is different. If he is shooting a bb gun and is not hitting anything he isn't supposed to and following orders, let him go. He must understand though, that when he breaks the rules, there will be consequences. - No exceptions. (I would be really surprised if he didn't break the rules once! He is a boy for cryin out loud.) I still remember getting my hide tanned! YEEOUCH.
    Just sayin....

Psalm 82:3-5

I agree with the others, maturity is the key. I would have him shoot with supervision until you are sure that he will act responsibly
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

My son just turned 7 and I got him his first weapon, an airsoft handgun. Rules are, it is treated like a real gun, never pointed at anything you do not intend to shoot. It is stored with my other weapons and he is not allowed to get it on his own. He can only shoot it under my supervision. Maturity is key, but proper handling and safety MUST be taught at an early age. Telling a child they can't touch something" because I said so" is how kids get shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast