Another "What do you recommend" thread, with some "what do you not recommend" too..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Another "What do you recommend" thread, with some "what do you not recommend" too..

This is a discussion on Another "What do you recommend" thread, with some "what do you not recommend" too.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I am a bit impatient when it comes to searching through thousands and thousands of posts to get recommendations on ...

Default Another "What do you recommend" thread, with some "what do you not recommend" too..

I am a bit impatient when it comes to searching through thousands and thousands of posts to get recommendations on weapons, so instead I thought I would try posting the question again...

The question is, what do you recommend as a carry weapon. Some criteria I am set on (I think) would be:

- Would like a larger caliber (.40 or .45, maybe a 9mm)
    - Am looking for something that has decent recoil and isnt super-poppy
    - Am ok to carry a compact versus a subcompact
    - The bigger the capacity the better
    - Would like to try and be reasonable in price
    - Am not too keen on getting a Glock (just because everyone else has one it seems).

If you are bored and want to make a recommendation, please feel free to do so... Let me know why you think its great.

Also, what weapons should one avoid and why?

Thanks in advance for your time!

I love answering this question and will any number of times. I really am impressed with my Ruger LC9. Very concealable, very shootable, recoil not that bad for a little gun at 9mm. Oh, and I am very happy with the Crossbreed SuperTuck holster I purchased for the LC9 (figured you'd probably want to know that bit too).
    Last edited by xenaxdsc; 10-11-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added info about holster

I second the Lc9, fun gun!
    "Love your country, love your family, love your gun!"
    Herb Parsons

Everyone seems to have a Glock for a damn good reason. I wouldn't not get one just because it is popular. There are too many variables in your question for me to answer with my phone. Do you have a range where they rent different guns so you can try several out to see what you like?

I 2nd skiluvr03's comment Glock for good reason, Takes a licken keeps on clicken
    Almost 20 years old and still no issues
    My glock model 22

My next handgun is gonna be a F.N.H. 5.7 X 28mm in matte black 20 round magazine priced one today in shop just over 750.oo

Quote Originally Posted by blincoln View Post
    - Am not too keen on getting a Glock (just because everyone else has one it seems).
    Are you looking for a gun for legitimate protection or a gun that nobody else has, and that you can show off or look cool with?
    Everyone else has a Glock because they are great guns. Buy a Glock if you want legitimate protection.

My regular carry is a Springfield XD9sc. Great gun for most situations, but during the heat of the SC summers I'll opt for my Kahr PM9. Conceals better wearing shorts and t-shirts. The XD eats any and everything, never a single hiccup. The Kahr was a little finicky at first but getting better with a little break-in. Glocks are great guns, several friends have'um and I shoot them on a regular basis at the range. The XD just fits my hand better and I seem to be more accurate with the XD.

unclewayne17 is offline unclewayne

Good reason why a lot of people have Glocks, they are good. I loke my .40 cal. I also have a .380, 45 and .32.

There are so many options these days its crazy. Glock, the xd(m) series, Taurus 709 and 740 slim, Taurus mellenium pro series, ruger Sr9(c), s&w m&p(c) ect ect ect. You really just gotta go somewhere where you can rent them, borrow some friends or spend a lot of time at a store handling each one

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast