Reloading Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Reloading Question

This is a discussion on Reloading Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I reload pistol and rifle. When I started I put together a spreadsheet to calculate what the savings would be. ...

I reload pistol and rifle. When I started I put together a spreadsheet to calculate what the savings would be. PM me if you would like me to send it to you. You input your powder cost, bullet cost, primer cost and factory ammunition cost and it compares the two and tells you your savings. That said, I save, on average, about 50%. As others have said you just have to decide if your time is worth it. It is about 5,000-10,000 rounds (depending on how you set up) to recoup your investment in equipment and then it is savings from there. For me, it works out. I shoot USPSA pistol so reload lead bullets and save almost 50% (shooting mostly 9mm). I also reload .45 and .380 pistol and all my rifle (where the big savings generally lie due to ammunition cost for comparable factory rounds).

Dont let the startup cost scare you. You can get everything you need from ebay for a reasonable price. Just make sure you get a quality scale that is the only thing i wouldn't trust buying from ebay.

Default Thanks

Thanks all for the excellent help.
    Problem is, I am still undecided. I use a time mgr system where you actually specify an exact value on your time. I have run the numbers above and their is no clear time-value answer.:(
    I think im gonna wait right now.
    I'm sure it would pay off, but I would probably be to laze to keep it up and my wife would probably just complained about another piece of junk cluttering the house.
    I gotta keep her happy, she is a much better shot than I am. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    Thanks all for the excellent help.
    Problem is, I am still undecided. I use a time mgr system where you actually specify an exact value on your time. I have run the numbers above and their is no clear time-value answer.:(
    I think im gonna wait right now.
    I'm sure it would pay off, but I would probably be to laze to keep it up and my wife would probably just complained about another piece of junk cluttering the house.
    I gotta keep her happy, she is a much better shot than I am. ;)
    If I were you I would keep all of your brass. You may decide later on to get into it and you will have brass ready to work with. And if you decide not to you can always sell your brass to us reloaders.
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Reloading is a hobby, money savings isn't the only reason to do it.

Shawn Jarman is offline crzyjarmans

I think reloads are ok, as long as you know what your doing, as for the savings?, like one already posted?, it's what you think your time is worth, for me, if i was to decide to start reloading, it would cut into work time and would cost me more in the long run, And on a side not, I would use the reload for defence, just practice

che

I reload and it's the best decision I've made since I started shooting.

I save money on ammo and I can tailor-make my rounds to my liking.

I use a Dillon 550 progressive press, it makes reloading a breeze. Components and gear can run you a pretty penny at first but few things are more rewarding than being able to have control over your ammo (how much you make and how they perform)

Like other people have said, saving money should be a factor but not your sole reason for getting into it.

It is however, a wonderful hobby and I've already converted a few of my buddies.

My vote = Do it!

Default Reload

Not really an answer to the question but I thoght I would brimg it up. Its ill advised to shoot somebody with reloads, in court they use it against you to get a conviction. In class they said don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12