The .38 Special... underrated? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

The .38 Special... underrated?

This is a discussion on The .38 Special... underrated? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by B2Tall Precisely why I bought a .357 when I wanted a snubbie. Plus, I can always shoot ...

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Precisely why I bought a .357 when I wanted a snubbie. Plus, I can always shoot .38 with it if I want (and frequently do at the range).
    Performance of the .357 Mag round is severely reduced in a snubbie. The magnum round (much like +P and +P+ rounds) was designed to be fired through a service revolver with a 4 inch barrel. When you fire it through a 2 inch barrel, a lot of the powder winds up burning past the end of the muzzle, making flash and bang, instead of building up pressure and acceleration behind the bullet.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Ringo is offline Politically Incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    Performance of the .357 Mag round is severely reduced in a snubbie. The magnum round (much like +P and +P+ rounds) was designed to be fired through a service revolver with a 4 inch barrel. When you fire it through a 2 inch barrel, a lot of the powder winds up burning past the end of the muzzle, making flash and bang, instead of building up pressure and acceleration behind the bullet.
    The Speer Gold Dot "Short Barrel" round pretty much solved that drawback. My wife carries her snubby loaded with standard pressure Federal NYCLAD HP. Be it a 2in. or 4in. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of these.
    "And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done".

Now.the ammo capacity arguement. Seriously. Look up the number of shots exchanged between victims and assailants on average. its lower than you think. Real life exchanges arw not like out of a die hard film. Also, BGs fall down after being shot usualy from a sudden drop in blood pressure because of the hole in them. Even a .380 can do that if you get a couple of.good hits or one great hit. Its not about bone exploding, lung shredding, shrapnel flying... Its internal bleeding and shock that are most likely.to make.them fall down.

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Excellent info here guys! As to some of the references to .38 Specials bouncing off car windshields, YES it happens! Know too that my father works for the Durham, NC Police department and has tested all the popular pistol calibers againts car windshields(.25, .32, .380, .38, .357, 9mm, .40, & .45)... and suprisingly, one round everybody LOVES didn't "pass the test" either.... guess what it was???

The S&W .40! Yeah, every round they tested at one point(depending on distance/angle) bounced right off! So... what's this mean? EVERY round round has it's draw backs in one form or another. History is full of stories about guns & calibers of all sizes failing to do what it "SHOULD" have done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Excellent info here guys! As to some of the references to .38 Specials bouncing off car windshields, YES it happens! Know too that my father works for the Durham, NC Police department and has tested all the popular pistol calibers againts car windshields(.25, .32, .380, .38, .357, 9mm, .40, & .45)... and suprisingly, one round everybody LOVES didn't "pass the test" either.... guess what it was???

The S&W .40! Yeah, every round they tested at one point(depending on distance/angle) bounced right off! So... what's this mean? EVERY round round has it's draw backs in one form or another. History is full of stories about guns & calibers of all sizes failing to do what it "SHOULD" have done.
    Depends on the test some times they compare fmj with hp rounds which is stupid. HP is to give reduce penetration. I like my.38 and my 40sw. The 40 does the same as my 45 in my test

golocx4 is offline Got Beretta's?

Wheel Guns, you pull the trigger and they go bang every time. (unless you really abuse the snot out of them)

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what gun to make my primary 'do all' gun. I looked at just about everything on the market today and while trying to find something both easily concealable yet reliable, I ended up with the s&w 642. I don't feel under gunned at all with the .38 round and I bought 2 speed loaders to keep in the wifes purse. People get so wrapped up in all these semi auto reliability arguments we forget just how friggin reliable a wheel gun is

I like wheel guns. They are just thicker for carry. And have low capacity. But those were my first guns of choice. The trigger doesn't bother my that why I find it funny when ppl "hate" certain semi triggers so much?? Guess thats why there so many choices.

martyay is offline martyay

I carry a 38 J frame and it is accurate, and doesn't have too much muzzle jump. Never had to draw it, but would be confident if I had to.

So the 9mm semi is better than a .38 revolver? Really? I don't think I want to pocket carry a semi. How is the slide going to do in side of a coat pocket? You have stove pipes and misfeed possibilities with a semi-auto. None of those occur with a revolver. You do only get 6 tries though.

Each has its place. A snubby in the pocket is much better than a semi. (IMHO) However, I like my Colt riding on my hip for EDC.

Caliber - The comment regarding .38s v .44s was made regarding shot placement. Go ahead try to put 2 in the chest with a .44. You better really make the first one count, because for the average person, the second will be in the ceiling! The .38 is a great round. Used properly is will get the job done.

Each caliber and gun have a place and use. Figure out what works for you.
    Just my .02.

Psalm 82:3-5

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast