What is the limit of the right to keep and bear arms?
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

What is the limit of the right to keep and bear arms?

This is a discussion on What is the limit of the right to keep and bear arms? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Simple question where would you draw the line on the RKBA? I believe that any firearm should be available ...

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Default What is the limit of the right to keep and bear arms?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple question where would you draw the line on the RKBA?

I believe that any firearm should be available to the general public, if you can afford an M2 knock yourself out. That said would you support that personís right to mount it on their VW bug and drive around town?

I believe that any American flagged ocean going vessel should be able to purchase weapons suitable for self-defense Again, if you want an M2 go for it especially if you sail the Caribbean or the horn of Africa. Iíd even go so far as to say let them get a deck gun but what would you say to SAMs or a helicopter gunship attached to the vessel?

I would probably draw the line at anything that wasnít designed to be used against a point target (NBC) or weapons that are essentially booby traps (no claymores guys sorry) or any weapon that is significantly likely to produce collateral damage (Grenades)

So where are your limits? Am I wrong? If so, which way and why?

My opinion, average Joe should not have:
    Silencers, automatic weapons, machine guns, explosives.

We've also had some similar discussion here:
    NFA Weapons Requirment, Why?

As usual I agree with deserteagle. I also think there should be limits on where you can carry acceptable firearms. And maybe that's the difference for me. I don't care one bit what anyone does on their own land or in their bedroom for that matter. But I draw the line with automatice weapons and other types in certain places. Quite frankly I think the majority of state laws are pretty reasonable sans Illinois and NYC and such.

Hmmmm.

My opinion would draw the line at what one person could operate.... So that would rule out anything that needs say, an airplane or launchpad to be used... Like NBC type weapons and air to ground/air to air....

Crew weapons like cannon and mortar should be owned and manned by the community/village/town,etc...

Shoulder launched weapons, Grenades and Claymores, I honestly dont know how I would feel about others having them.... So if I dont want to trust others with that type, why or how could I justify having them myself? Perhaps those should also be classed with crew weapons?

As far as full auto (IMHO, they are just ammo wasters, but they DO have a valid use in firefights..) I absolutely consider a right under the 2nd Amendment WITHOUT the special permits/tax form bull.. (infringements) Same thing with silencers, EVERYONE should be able to have them without question...

As far as mounting something to your vehicle? Sure, just dont aim it at someone...... They might take offense and open a can on ya.. 'Jus sayin....
    Leave me alone... and I will leave you alone....
    Don't poke a wolverine with a sharp stick unless you want your balls ripped off.
    Don't start nuthin, wont be nuthin..... (and dont wear pink panties on my property)

Oh, and Treo? It is NOT a simple question, lol
    Leave me alone... and I will leave you alone....
    Don't poke a wolverine with a sharp stick unless you want your balls ripped off.
    Don't start nuthin, wont be nuthin..... (and dont wear pink panties on my property)

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

ICBM's and nuclear missile submarines should both be restricted...other than that if you can pass a background check...then you should be able to own it.

seriously...legal gun owners are not the problem and they know it. They just use every little incident to chip away at our rights.

I do not see a problem with the average Joe owning a machine gun or a silencer. The average Joe IS NOT a criminal. I do however see a problem with any illegal alien owning anything bigger than nail clippers. I also see a problem with foreign nationals obtaining firearms without becoming citizens, with full voting rights.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

I don't believe regular civilians should be authorized to own:

Explosives(grenades, claymores, etc) or mortars, RPGs, artillary, etc.

If said civilian requires explosives(dynamite) for a professional bussiness(demolition company), than yes, they should be authorized to own(WITH PROPER LICENSING/TRAINING).

Everything else is up for grabs! With proper licensing and training, provided by local law-enforcment that is. I see no problems with a collector owning M1 Thompsons, BARs, M60s, AKs, etc. I see no problems with a guy like me owning a full-auto weapon either... with proper licensing/training.

Here's why I see no problem with a regular guy like me owning a full-auto weapon. Just b/c I own said weapon, I will not decide to rob a bank or hose down a school. If a bad guy has decided to do those things... he's got the full-auto thing covered already, and he isn't getting it legally.

As to why a regular guy like me "needs" a full-auto? I don't, I just want one. Just like none of us "need" an AR15, AK, semi-auto 12ga, etc, etc. We don't "need" these weapons, but we'd love to have 'em.

The argument of "need" is null and void IMO. I can lay down an argument as to why civilians don't "need" almost anything. Like: You don't need that big @ss truck b/c you don't haul anything do you? Or: I don't need three motorcycles b/c I can only ride one at a time! Or: I don't need a motorcycle that goes 160mph b/c no road in America allows for that speed!

I could go on and on. The firearms we should be authorized to own have nothing to do with "need". Just want, and I want 'em ALL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Restricting arms only keeps those arms out of the hands of honest people.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

If I’m an otherwise law abiding citizen why do I need a license to own a fully automatic weapon? I’ve carried FA weapons before and I wasn’t overcome by an urge to go on a crime spree with them. There are about 100,000+ fully automatic weapons out there now and I don’t see the owners hosing down the local Wal-Mart.

Personally I think an American citizen should be able to walk into Wal Mart and purchase any fully automatic weapon they choose.
    Silencers too.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

As noted above, the average person should be able to own about anything he/she wants and can afford.
    Silencers? I have watched a guy use one to hunt deer, hogs and prairie dogs. Very effective. Although, not as "silent" as you think.

I love things that go bang!

Psalm 82:3-5

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast