Stand your ground Law... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Stand your ground Law...

This is a discussion on Stand your ground Law... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by Sheldon:303295 Originally Posted by mamacat2u Agreed! I would rather be able to retreat instead of ending up ...

Flanmedic51 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon:303295
    Quote Originally Posted by mamacat2u View Post
    Agreed! I would rather be able to retreat instead of ending up with a hell of a nightmare, just because someone had something a bit different in mind. NC does not require a duty to retreat; however, that is what we have drilled into us in the classes I take.
    Agreed 'MOVE OR DIE" was taught to me in every advanced SD class I have taken, however in some states you are required to retreat from your auto, garage, home, be it bedroom, basement, what ever.... and being close to 61 with a bad back, I don't run very well, which could get me killed when I stumble, fall, and a much younger, faster adversary pounces putting me at a severe and life threatening disadvantage....

I by far am not the only one in this boat, elderly, obesity, pregnancy, small children with, other physical aliments all reasons to do away with the duty to retreat, after all is it not the bad guy that is the aggressor, and if I need to move say because of a close range knife attack (which is your best bet to survive) , that should be an option and not mandatory.
    Good points. My State isn't syg but the decision to shoot shouldn't change regardless of syg or duty to retreat. Unless death or serious bodily harm is present, avoid killing another should be of the utmost priority, not unlike in LE. Screaming 'drop the knife or I will shoot you' will A: Hopefully have them change their mind and B: offer a great defense if u do shoot and kill as witnesses can confirm that you gave expilicit instruction to the perp. SYG is a good law but the duty to retreat and the perception of 'Im gonna die unless I shoot' will always fall onto the shooter in defending themselves...regardless of the law.

ares338 is offline ares338

I would love the opportunity to retreat but polio took that option away from me. I am in a mobility chair and as far as I know most able bodied bad guys could probably out run me unless I get a souped up model. This being said, I would try everything in the world to avoid deadly force. I know it should only be used in an immediate and unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily injury to yourself or an innocent person. If it came down to it, yes I would use ultimate force if forced to. If our screwed up justice system continues to persecute innocent people who only defend themselves then so be it. Life happens!

Still at 48% no and 44% yes
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Agreed 'MOVE OR DIE" was taught to me in every advanced SD class I have taken, however in some states you are required to retreat from your auto, garage, home, be it bedroom, basement, what ever.... and being close to 61 with a bad back, I don't run very well, which could get me killed when I stumble, fall, and a much younger, faster adversary pounces putting me at a severe and life threatening disadvantage....

I by far am not the only one in this boat, elderly, obesity, pregnancy, small children with, other physical aliments all reasons to do away with the duty to retreat, after all is it not the bad guy that is the aggressor, and if I need to move say because of a close range knife attack (which is your best bet to survive) , that should be an option and not mandatory.

Sheldon: I have hit the 75 year mark and, like you, have several medical problems that make it virtually impossible for me to retreat. That is one of the reasons I always have a weapon either on my person or within arms reach. Even when watching TV, etc. I really, really don't want to shoot anyone but, by the same token, I don't want to be shot or beaten or for my wife to be hurt. Consequently, "standing my ground" is not an option for me, it is an absolute necessity. I think the people railing about doing away with the Castle Doctrine have their heads up their rear ends and do not have a complete understanding of the law. They sound like they want to be volunteer victims. Naivete' and ignorance are running rampant now.

Its a poll on CNN, did you really expect it to be in our favor based on who watches CNN? I voted but I hated visiting that site

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

The 48% no vote is within the range of folks who live off your dime without working and would love you to vacate your home for plunder. CNN=Commie News Network

what else would you expect from the "Communist News Network" and their readers :) just a favorite joke of mine.... Sorry Nightmare,, I honestly didn't see your post. HA! I just scrolled down to the replies.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by dustoffuh1 View Post
    what else would you expect from the "Communist News Network" and their readers :) just a favorite joke of mine.... Sorry Nightmare,, I honestly didn't see your post. HA! I just scrolled down to the replies.
    Not a problem, they made it simple enough.

KenC is offline Ken

We have both a "Castle Doctrine" and the "Stand your ground" here in Montana;
    45-3-103. Use of force in defense of occupied structure. (1) A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the use of force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry into or attack upon an occupied structure.
    (2) A person justified in the use of force pursuant to subsection (1) is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if:
    (a) the entry is made or attempted and the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent an assault upon the person or another then in the occupied structure; or
    (b) the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony in the occupied structure.

The "Stand your ground" or "No Duty to Retreat" law is a bit lengthier so I'll just link it;
    http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billhtml/HB0228.htm

there is no poll in that link

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast