FN Five-Seven - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

FN Five-Seven

This is a discussion on FN Five-Seven within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by kelcarry I agree with you on self/home defense. I can tell by the threads on the 57 ...

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I agree with you on self/home defense. I can tell by the threads on the 57 dedicated forums I mentioned that I am a bit of an amateur to many of the contributors to these forums. To me, this firearm offers, as I said in my post, lo recoil, light weight, high capacity and lethality and I cannot see me using it for anything over say 10 yards even though the "what ifs" will say otherwise. It is a bit of money but you should be patient and check out gunbroker for 57s that are for sale (used or new). You may be able to find one that will stay under $900 (still a bit of $$$ but I am not looking back). Mine was $870 new.
    $870 seems like a heck of a deal. I'm putting a little money to the side of one. I hope I can get one that cheap or maybe even a little cheaper. You never know when the zoobies come we may need to shoot them a little farther out.

For what it's worth, my two Granddaughters are here for the weekend. They are 16 and 18. Both first time shooters with a handgun. After some safety training we went out back and shot my GSG .22 semi auto that I use in my class. Then the .22 revolver I use. They put a bunch of rounds through both and enjoyed it immensely. Then we shot the .22 pump. They enjoyed it too. Then I had them shoot the five seveN. They loved it. They both said they would rather shoot it than the .22's.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    For what it's worth, my two Granddaughters are here for the weekend. They are 16 and 18. Both first time shooters with a handgun. After some safety training we went out back and shot my GSG .22 semi auto that I use in my class. Then the .22 revolver I use. They put a bunch of rounds through both and enjoyed it immensely. Then we shot the .22 pump. They enjoyed it too. Then I had them shoot the five seveN. They loved it. They both said they would rather shoot it than the .22's.
    That's interesting that they liked the 5-7 over the .22's. ANd I think it's a great thing to teach your granddaughters firearm safety and how to shoot. My son has been hunting and shooting sense he was 6. My daughter is 14, and told her that it's about time for her to start shooting a little as well. Sounds like the 5-7 may be a good gun to get her used to.

That's interesting that they liked the 5-7 over the .22's. ANd I think it's a great thing to teach your granddaughters firearm safety and how to shoot. My son has been hunting and shooting sense he was 6. My daughter is 14, and told her that it's about time for her to start shooting a little as well. Sounds like the 5-7 may be a good gun to get her used to.

I agree, the recoil is minimal and the round has a lot more stopping power than the .22. For plinking, I would still recommend the .22 simply because of the difference in cost for the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    I agree, the recoil is minimal and the round has a lot more stopping power than the .22. For plinking, I would still recommend the .22 simply because of the difference in cost for the ammo.
    Yup, that is the name of the game. A nickel or less for a 22 cartridge and 10 times that for a 57 cartridge. Usually go to range once every two weeks and fire off maybe 20 rounds of 57 just to remember how it feels and 100 rounds of 22LR just for fun.

Usually go to range once every two weeks and fire off maybe 20 rounds of 57 just to remember how it feels and 100 rounds of 22LR just for fun.
    As luck would have it, my 5.7 slings the empty cartridges about 12 to 15 feet which puts them in the grass. Since I'm saving them to get reloaded to cut down on the cost, it just makes it that much harder to find them. Where I shoot, it's too narrow to keep them out of the grass. Maybe I'll put up a curtain to knock them down in one area.

Gun Tests did an compairson (November 2011 / vol XXIII no 11) between the FNH FiveseveN (Gun Tests grade: B), and the Kal-Tec PMR-30 (Gun Tests grade: A) on page 23.
    Short Version they likes the PMR-30 better, higher availability of more ammo types, firearm cost, and other things. What was interesting was the chrono data, not the huge difference one would assume between the .22 mag VS the 5.7X28... They were acceptably close, and the .22 mag is a whole lot cheaper to shoot....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12