CCW large accurate/small inaccurate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

CCW large accurate/small inaccurate

This is a discussion on CCW large accurate/small inaccurate within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Hey folks, I been carrying an Springfield XD 40 for a few yrs.now. It is very comfortable in its bianchi ...

Default CCW large accurate/small inaccurate

Hey folks, I been carrying an Springfield XD 40 for a few yrs.now. It is very comfortable in its bianchi holster, but at times in the summer it just doesn't hide well. Been thinking about carrying my lcp 380. Just bought a holster for it. Then I got to thinking, what if I have to defend all the way across a room or something similar. The smaller pistols are not accurate enough to feel comfortable engaging a target. I am a pretty good shot with most weapons. Has anybody else ever gave this thought?
    Thanks

I have a Kel-Tec .380, which is virtually a clone of the LCP (and less reliable). I added a LaserLyte CK-AMF (which fits both makes) and it is now incredibly accurate at 21ft. I HIGHLY recommend adding a LaserLyte to your LCP for a confidence boost....well at least in low light. It doesn't add much width to the gun and conceals just as easily with the sidemount laser.
    Here's may last visit to the range with my Kel-Tec .380 using the LaserLyte at 21ft...rapid fire (7 rounds each).
    Name:  IMAG0443.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  485.8 KB

Accuracy can be improved with smaller barreled weapons by spending some quality time with it at the range. I have the LCP, no laser; and can put all rounds into the 9 and 10 rings on a B27 target at 25'. My LCP is my summer carry with a spare mag and a pocket holster.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

chapguy is offline vanchap

It's always a fine line between comfort and security. My thought is that you will become comfortable with a gun that you shoot well and you'll find reasons NOT to carry a gun that isn't right for you. I had a Walther PK380 that I never felt I could trust so I didn't carry it, even though it was small and very comfortable for carry. I have carried an XDm and a M&Pc that I feel secure carrying even though they're not the most comfortable things to carry.

If I couldn't shoot it well, I'd just as soon carry a comfortable rock.

Quote Originally Posted by flasburn38 View Post
    Hey folks, I been carrying an Springfield XD 40 for a few yrs.now. It is very comfortable in its bianchi holster, but at times in the summer it just doesn't hide well. Been thinking about carrying my lcp 380. Just bought a holster for it. Then I got to thinking, what if I have to defend all the way across a room or something similar. The smaller pistols are not accurate enough to feel comfortable engaging a target. I am a pretty good shot with most weapons. Has anybody else ever gave this thought?
    Thanks
    I sometimes carry a Charter Arms .38 special snub-nose revolver. I can put all 5 shots on an 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper at 50 feet. Now. When I first got it, I was hitting .. well, let's just say I thought it was a piece of crap gun. Turns out the gun wasn't where the accuracy problem lay.

And by the way, when I got it, I "thought I was a pretty good shot with most guns" as well. "Hell, if I can shoot Expert with an M-16, this little snubby should be easy." Fact is, when you have a handgun with a short barrel (and short sight radius), light weight, and grip that's a bit too small ... it's MUCH more difficult to shoot than a full size handgun. You have to really have the fundamentals down. And you have to realize you're not likely to be shooting it at more than 21 feet or so.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I've given this a great deal of thought and so far its resulted in me acquiring more guns and holsters. I totally agree with your LCP analogy because I can't shoot it well beyond 8 yards. It's become my jogging and sweatpants gun. I have some XD's but I can't seem to comfortably conceal double stacks on my waist. I find that commander size 1911's in expensive custom made leather holsters work best for me most days. I've owned the new M&P Shield for a short time and I think it is one of the most impressive small guns that I have ever shot. It shoots like a much longer gun so I think I just might be done with that whole .380 thing once I find the appropriate rig to carry it in. It seems that members of this site have a landslide preference for the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe so I ordered one for the Shield. Now I just have to hurry up and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoaner View Post
    I've given this a great deal of thought and so far its resulted in me acquiring more guns and holsters. I totally agree with your LCP analogy because I can't shoot it well beyond 8 yards. It's become my jogging and sweatpants gun. I have some XD's but I can't seem to comfortably conceal double stacks on my waist. I find that commander size 1911's in expensive custom made leather holsters work best for me most days. I've owned the new M&P Shield for a short time and I think it is one of the most impressive small guns that I have ever shot. It shoots like a much longer gun so I think I just might be done with that whole .380 thing once I find the appropriate rig to carry it in. It seems that members of this site have a landslide preference for the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe so I ordered one for the Shield. Now I just have to hurry up and wait.
    Do you have the 9 or 40 M&P Shield?

have you ever used a fanny pack? when ever i wear elastic band shorts i usuly use a fanny pack my p95 in he back zipper and disrtibute extra mag and wallet among the other pockets

Default Same issue

I had the same issue different gun.
    I carry a Glock G-22 it is 40 cal. loaded with 15 rounds which is double stack during winter easy to conceal now spring / summer is here I changed to a differant holster it is a versa carry I.W.B. that way I can still carry my trusted friend and do not have to 2nd guess my abilities when time arises. Go to www.versacarry.com tell them Randy sent you. Oh yea it's american made
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

billiam is offline Bill1949

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Accuracy can be improved with smaller barreled weapons by spending some quality time with it at the range. I have the LCP, no laser; and can put all rounds into the 9 and 10 rings on a B27 target at 25'. My LCP is my summer carry with a spare mag and a pocket holster.
    Totally agree. LCP is my summer carry and if you spend time with it can be accurate enough for self defense purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast