What does HMR actually stand for?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By omillerwny

What does HMR actually stand for?

This is a discussion on What does HMR actually stand for? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; So I'm on different sites trying to find information about my HMR .17. I thought the initials stood for Hornady, ...

Default What does HMR actually stand for?

So I'm on different sites trying to find information about my HMR .17. I thought the initials stood for Hornady, Marlin and Remington since from my understanding was a rifle developed by all three of these manufactures. However, I now see it being referred to as: Hornady magnum Rimfire. Which is correct?

OCM

Quote Originally Posted by omillerwny View Post
    So I'm on different sites trying to find information about my HMR .17. I thought the initials stood for Hornady, Marlin and Remington since from my understanding was a rifle developed by all three of these manufactures. However, I now see it being referred to as: Hornady magnum Rimfire. Which is correct?

OCM
    Hornady Magnum Rimfire.
    very fun too shoot!!

OCM
    Hornady Magnum Rimfire, not unlike the 22wrm (Winchester Rimfire Magnum). Generally, the guy who got the cartridge into production gets to name the cartridge. .30-06 Springfield (Sprinfield Armory) .375 H&H (Holland and Holland), and so on. Way too many examples to show.

OCM
    Hornaday Magnum Rimfire is correct.