Instant Background Check? Really? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Instant Background Check? Really?

This is a discussion on Instant Background Check? Really? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; In the past year Florida has had times where it took a half hour just to get thru to do ...

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

In the past year Florida has had times where it took a half hour just to get thru to do the check. Last time, it was answered on the first ring and done in less than 2 minutes. All depends on what is going on that day.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

My experience has been that firearms I've ordered from out of state and shipped to my LGS have not caused any holds, but guns I've bought from the local fellows stock have caused two holds out of the last three purchases. It seems arbitrary in application. to me. I have been told by the local FFL that if you decline to put your social security number on the 4473, it will cause a hold on your purchase.

Currently every dealer in every state is required to do a NICS check on every gun buyer. Your carry permit does not override it. Your super secret Seal Team 6 clearance or the fact that your employer let's you handle explosives at work will not expedite the process either. Many states issue lifetime permits but just because someone can hand me one that was issued to them during the Clinton administration does not mean they've been a good boy or girl since their team lost that big game. Where your firearm shipped from has no bearing on your status as NICS doesn't ask. Much of the info required on the 4473 is not transferred to NICS but must be completed properly and maintained by the dealer per federal law. So please print legibly, read all questions thoroughly and if you have a common last name I would highly suggest that you neatly write your SSN in that optional box. Last but not least, dealers may refuse to sell a gun to anyone. Just because Bass Pro sells alcohol, it isn't a good idea to smell like booze when you approach the sales staff. We get enough muzzles pointed at us by the sober people.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Social Security number in OPTIONAL box, OK, NO.

My shortest check took 20 minutes, longest took around 4 hours.

I wish Colorado would excuse those with permits from the background check.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoaner View Post
    Currently every dealer in every state is required to do a NICS check on every gun buyer. Your carry permit does not override it.
    Nope. Erroneous information. 27 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) 478.102 paragraph (d) provides for carry permits that meet certain requirements can be used to waive the NICS check so long as the valid permit is possessed by the purchaser.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

In Kentucky, our CCW permits waive the need for an NICS check. All the shop owner has to do is record the license number from the card and away I go. The last four firearms I purchased I didn't need to have my info phoned in.

Of course, I despise the very notion that I have to get permission from our zookeepers in order to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I have never been able to forgive the NRA for that.

In Iowa my CCW has a NICS number on the back. No call is made. So I agree with Navy and ihsv that TheDoaner is wrong. I also think his advice to use a SSN is bad. If you have consistent problems with NICS get a UPIN.

Quote Originally Posted by ihsv View Post
    Of course, I despise the very notion that I have to get permission from our zookeepers in order to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. I have never been able to forgive the NRA for that.
    The NRA is not as gun friendly as we may think.

CHL holders in Texas aren't subject to a background check when you purchase a weapon as long as you bring your CHL with you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast