New member-new carry permit holder
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

New member-new carry permit holder

This is a discussion on New member-new carry permit holder within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I just completed my course and have just applied for my permit to carry. I went to look at handguns ...

Default New member-new carry permit holder

I just completed my course and have just applied for my permit to carry. I went to look at handguns yesterday. I knew I would be in for a challenge wanting a smaller, lightweight weapon and one that is left-handed or ambidexterous. Anyway, the search is on. It may take me a while but I will find the perfect fit for me.

Welcome to the site Cindy.There's a lot of good info on here.

welcome aboard cindy! yes you will find alot of good info here for sure and alot of good ideas on how to carry and the laws and all and meet some pretty fun people too
    i'm also kinda new here and to conceal carry being i'm still waiting for my permit to come from my state -florida-so in the meantime i come here to pick brains and learn as much as i can get ideas on carry methods and all and have fun keeping up with current events and enjoy the humor from the humans on this forum
    enjoy and be safe
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Default BERSA handguns- high quality & affordable

Check out the BERSA line of handguns. Extraordinary quality and much more affordable. I have the BERSA ThunderNine Ultra Compact Pro in 9mm and love it! They have a great .380 as well. Almost all reviews give BERSA 4-5 stars!

When you find the gun you want make sure you; Practice, Practice, Practice. This will insure you can hit what you aim at, and KNOW the the gun is reliable.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Welcome. So much advice available anymore it will confuse you. So listen and process carefully. Look at your J frame revolvers as well and I know this will bring an arguement or 2 but I keep it in 9mm or 38 special +p or bigger for a primary defense weapon. Main thing is to use a round that has 6in penetration or better. (That takes those 2cal or better) remember if you ever have to use is you must hit vital organ to effectively finish the job. So when you practice try different things like drawing and shooting fast aim for vital organs not just center mass that will dial you in more. Left hand, right hand and both hands. Just becase you have a gun does not mean your safe. The person with the advantage will probably win so prepare, practice and be ready to do what you must to win when you are in a fight for life.

Quote Originally Posted by CindyBindy View Post
    I just completed my course and have just applied for my permit to carry. I went to look at handguns yesterday. I knew I would be in for a challenge wanting a smaller, lightweight weapon and one that is left-handed or ambidexterous. Anyway, the search is on. It may take me a while but I will find the perfect fit for me.
    Welcome to the forums and bravo on your decision to actively protect yourself! If you live in an area that has a firing range that rents weapons, that is a good way to find what will suit you specifically. Try different calibers to find what which you manage best in order to get back on the target fastest for your follow up shots. Shoot as many weapons as you can because you are unique and what works best for others might not work for you. Listen to suggestions and then decide for yourself. When you finally purchase what is right for you, practice as often as you can and as much as you can afford. Any advanced training you can afford is always worth it. You will also have to find which ammunition your weapon likes best. Try ammo from as many different manufacturers as you can obtain.

I would like to suggest a weapon that has the ability to adjust the grip size. I have a Springfield Armory XDm Compact 3.8 in 9x19 that I am very happy with. It can also be converted to a comparatively full size pistol in a few seconds. If you prefer a full size pistol all the time, a Smith and Wesson M&P also has an grip that can sized to different hands.

Have fun finding the weapon that is best for you, but work hard at it as you may end up betting your life on it.
    “There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.”- Mr. Herbert Garrison
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."- Jeff Cooper
    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."- D. Carnegie

welcome to the site. i recently purchased my first handgun not too long ago, i went with the sr9c because it is small enough to conceal but also a good gun to do some fun target shooting with. i am also a lefty and the gun is ambidextrous, i have no problem working the slide lock, safety, or mag release. good luck and safe shooting.

Welcome aboard Cindy and congrats!!

Good luck on finding that concealed carry weapon for a south-paw. I'm right handed so don't have to worry about it, but do know that it can take a while finding the right weapon.

Have you tried shooting right handed? Is it something you would be comfortable with attempting? IF you can, your options would be so much better.
    STGC(SW)
    USN (ret)

Welcome to the Forum! I agree with wyldekard, I also have the XDm 9 compact and it is a great gun. Also being new to handguns, I found the XDm very easy to learn with. Can use with either hand, will shoot almost any ammo You can use, very easy to breakdown to clean, and comes with 2 sized magazines. One that holds 13 rounds for a compact easy to conceal and another larger magazine that holds 19 rounds with a removable polymer extension(to fit grip sizes) that makes it a full grip pistol. Also has a picatinny rail to hold a laser or light if You want. Hope this helps, but choose what fits You best and as everyone says; PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast