What to carry with stopping power
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

What to carry with stopping power

This is a discussion on What to carry with stopping power within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I recently purchased a Taurus Judge 3" (with 3" chamber). Although I'm not really having any problems concealing it, it ...

Red face What to carry with stopping power

I recently purchased a Taurus Judge 3" (with 3" chamber).
    Although I'm not really having any problems concealing it, it is, however, awkward to draw.
    After trying a number of types of holsters, I have yet to find a comfortable and quick draw. So .... I'm going to make it my new sleeping partner instead, and look into getting another firearm for CCW.
    I definitely want one with stopping power, and I'm no "girly girl" when it comes to things such as this, so I prefer not to carry a little pop-gun. I'm considering purchasing a Ruger KLCR .357/.38.

Any thoughts on it, or personal pro's and con's I might want to know about?

Well, since you want some stopping power, you might think about a .40 cal....personally i am partial to Glock, have had two and i totally love them, they fit my hands just right, but you are best to go to a range and try out some different ones so you can get a feel for just what is best in your hands....then you might see if they also have adjustable backstraps, my Glock does and it allows for zero, 2 and 4mm adjustments which makes a big difference....as for a holster, i use a blackhawk which allows for a perfect finger placement when you release it plus it is hard for someone to just YANK it out.....if you think glock .40 the model 22 or 23 is good unless you want really compact.....a bit longer barrel makes for more accuracy so i would recommend the 23 myself

Moonpie, why would you recommend an inferior gun/caliber combo. I say get a 357 mag, either an s&w or a ruger, 5 or 6 shot, 3" barrel (or whatever length youre able to control and conceal) and all steel.

Cougar, two things I'd like to know...what do you carry and what do you consider inferior? Personally, I have Glocks, Taurus, Ruger and Smith & Wesson and I carry each one at different times. I carry 9mm, 38/357, 380, 40 & 45. I'm just curious what your "Opinion" is and why someone else's is "Inferior"?

I usually carry a syb-compact 9mm as a backup, and a full or compact 45 acp as my primary carry for maximum stopping power, each loaded with Hornady critical defense.
    NRA Life Member
    1911-45, 9, 22, P229, P220, P228, PPQ, 38 spl

RJ_Whitlock is offline M&P 9mm

I carry a fullsize Smith & Wesson M&P in 9mm loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. It doesn't really matter what you carry for caliber, shot placement is very critical. If you miss with a 45, your stopping theory goes right out the window.
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Some well placed shots from a .22 has stopping power. If you are dead set on a 357 I would find something with a little more weight like Ruger's SP101 or S&W 686. Those sub 16oz snubbies with magnum loads are a handful especially to keep on target in rapid fire. Ever look into the 357SIG in a compact platform such as the S&W M&P liine, Sig Sauer, Glock etc. That cartridge outperforms the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 at distance.
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Firefighterchen is online now OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by longslide10:314773
    Some well placed shots from a .22 has stopping power. If you are dead set on a 357 I would find something with a little more weight like Ruger's SP101 or S&W 686. Those sub 16oz snubbies with magnum loads are a handful especially to keep on target in rapid fire. Ever look into the 357SIG in a compact platform such as the S&W M&P liine, Sig Sauer, Glock etc. That cartridge outperforms the 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 at distance.
    agree with longslide, stopping power has to do with placement not size. When you speak of stopping power, that will be specific to you. How well can you place any size bullet where it needs to go to stop the threat? Stopping power like fire power involves multiple parts. Fire power: caliber + capacity + reloading. Stopping power (shot placement): grip size , grip angle, recoil, etc.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Stopping Power" as it relates to handgun cartridges is a MYTH. With modern JHP handgun ammunition that passes the FBI protocol all calibers are relatively equal.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    "Stopping Power" as it relates to handgun cartridges is a MYTH. With modern JHP handgun ammunition that passes the FBI protocol all calibers are relatively equal.
    Quoted for the simple fact that this is, in the real world arena, the truth.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast