striker vs. hammer - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree28Likes

striker vs. hammer

This is a discussion on striker vs. hammer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I have both and carry both. I prefer the trigger and hammer system of the 1911. However, there are a ...

I have both and carry both. I prefer the trigger and hammer system of the 1911. However, there are a lot of times that the smaller, lighter, more concealable Glock 19 comes in to the picture. I practice and shoot competition with both. I picked up and XDm .45. First 100 rounds were not too bad. We'll see how that works out after about a couple thousand times drawing and firing.

Psalm 82:3-5

The advantage of a striker fire pistol is that the trigger pull is the same every time and that alone can be a deciding factor as the speed and accuracy of that first shot is important in a life and death situation. The only drawback to most striker pistols is that you loose the second strike option, but when using premium quality personal defense ammo as we all should, it is not really a big issue, as a defective round is almost unheard of. I like and shoot both types, a Ruger SR40c in cool weather and a Ruger LC9 in warm weather when a smaller pistol is easier to conceal, but the bottom line is whatever works and shoots best for you is a great choice.

"DAO" is available in hammered pistols as well. Is that what you meant when you say striker fired pistols have the same trigger pull every time?

My sw99 was a striker fired SA/DA Im pretty sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I don't like the trigger pull on a striker fire, and the majority are ugly to boot. All of my handguns and rifles are hammer fired, wouldn't own anything else. Concerning training, people today, even instructors, like to "complicate" the concept of handguns and self defense with a handgun. They make the theory of concealed carry out to be almost as complicated as calculus. Guns aren't complicated, they're just guns. Granted, if you are a member of Seal Team Six, you have a lot of skills you must learn. The truth of the matter is though, these advanced gunfighting skills are really not needed in your everyday life, unless you're a SWAT team member or monster hunter. When it comes to everyday survival and the basics of personal defense with a firearm, common sense and the old axiom "keep it simple" applies. After all, all you really want to do is live out your life without interruption from thieves, vagabonds and creatures of the undead, right? And always remember that a handgun is only good for two things.. 1] UP CLOSE personal protection. 2] To fight your way home to your rifle.
    I do like that last sentence
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I prefer hammer action in ALL my handguns...It was how I was trained in the military and very simply what I have come to know and trust. Some people love the striker pistols, but I gotta say that is them and this is me...please give me a hammer, DA/SA preferred
    ^^^^^^^. This! (minus the Military stuff)
    I'm just two steps shy of crossing over to the Dark Side!

reminded me of this song
    heheh
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234