Commercial vehicle CWP
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By NavyLCDR
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Commercial vehicle CWP

This is a discussion on Commercial vehicle CWP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I drive a Commercial vehicle (18 wheeler) I'm a SC resident. I have a South Carolina and Utah CWP is ...

Blog Entries

Default Commercial vehicle CWP

I drive a Commercial vehicle (18 wheeler) I'm a SC resident. I have a South Carolina and Utah CWP is it ok to carry my hand gun in my Commercial vehicle(18 wheeler) in South Carolina ,Georgia and Florida?

contact the state in which you got the ccw and they will tell you. as for having it in the cmv, i dont thin their is any laws against it but your company will most likely be against the idea.

Regardless of state laws, DOT regs forbid carrying a gun in your commercial vehicle. You would lose your CDL if caught.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatliterate View Post
    Regardless of state laws, DOT regs forbid carrying a gun in your commercial vehicle. You would lose your CDL if caught.
    This is true and should not be! My husband drives (no longer does overnights) but most of these drivers do and should be able to protect themselves. I think it was just last year maybe 2 years ago a trucker was robbed and shot while parked to sleep. Not sure what supposed reasoning the DOT has for it but it's wrong imo.

Most major carriers forbid it anyway. I would rather make the decision myself to save my life and lose my job if it came down to it. None of DOT's bizzness.

Your SC resident permit is honored by SC and FL and your Utah Non Resident permit is honored by GA so you are ok in the states you mention. There are no DOT reqs that forbid gun carry, however many of the places you may go, Rail yards, state docks, ports and defense depots to name a few will have no firearm policies in place. Also most trucking companies will not allow drivers to carry. Lots of things to consider...I as a owner operator always carried and when picking up at places with no firearm policies I just ignored them... your life , your choices

well dot forbids it that,s the law . myself there,s no way in hell i would drive overnight without one

Quote Originally Posted by rich45r View Post
    well dot forbids it that,s the law .
    Post the law or regulation that forbids it. I DARE YOU! YOU CAN'T!

PHMSA - Interpretations by Date - Interpretation #06-0165

"Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives” clause in § 173.54(f).

The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in § 173.54(f), a personal loaded or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters."

Believe whatever you want to, rich45r, but don't expect to spread your false information here without challenge.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

NavyLCDR - well said!

This topic comes up from time to time, so often with the unsupported claim of DOT regs forbidding CCW. Bull crinkle and balderdash. People need to stop spreading unfounded beliefs like this - if you don't know, don't spout off. If you do know, be prepared to cite chapter and verse.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Post the law or regulation that forbids it. I DARE YOU! YOU CAN'T!

PHMSA - Interpretations by Date - Interpretation #06-0165

"Specifically, you ask whether the transportation of such a firearm is prohibited by the HMR under the “forbidden explosives” clause in § 173.54(f).

The answer to your question is no. Unless otherwise specified in § 173.54(f), a personal loaded or unloaded firearm lawfully carried by a commercial motor vehicle operator is not considered in commerce and therefore not subject to the HMR. Under this scenario, a commercial motor vehicle operator who carries a personal firearm while in the performance of his or her duties is subject to local or State jurisdiction regarding such matters."

Believe whatever you want to, rich45r, but don't expect to spread your false information here without challenge.
    This is good to know! Thank you. I haven't researched it and according to my husband, he hadn't either. He was told by his employer it is against DOT regs.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    NavyLCDR - well said!

This topic comes up from time to time, so often with the unsupported claim of DOT regs forbidding CCW. Bull crinkle and balderdash. People need to stop spreading unfounded beliefs like this - if you don't know, don't spout off. If you do know, be prepared to cite chapter and verse.
    I have a CDL and did know the assertion that carrying in a CMV is not "forbidden" or otherwise illegal, but I was too lazy to look up chapter and verse when I saw the thread late last night. So I stayed quiet, thinking I might find the DOT code this morning, but also thinking I wouldn't be surprised if Navy beat me to it. As usual, good job Navy!

Blues
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.