.223 rifle to hunt with - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

.223 rifle to hunt with

This is a discussion on .223 rifle to hunt with within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by ScottMac Ruger Scout Rifle. Designed after the specs created by Col Jeff Cooper. It's a tack driver. ...

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMac View Post
    Ruger Scout Rifle. Designed after the specs created by Col Jeff Cooper.
    It's a tack driver.
    You mean as an alternative to .223 right? I don't think they have a .223 Scout...? But yes, the Scout is an Awesome gun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMac View Post
    Ruger Scout Rifle. Designed after the specs created by Col Jeff Cooper.
    It's a tack driver.
    I want one really bad!!! But, I don't believe it comes in .223. I think it's .308 only.

I don't own one, but my best friend has a Browning A-Bolt in .223 that he loves. I've shot it several times and it's a real tack-driver.

This isn't his, but it's identical:

With just a tiny bit of elbow grease and a couple of spare parts, you can turn one of those into one of these:

Doubt you'd have any trouble with shot-placement with one of those!
    I pray for peace. Peace and justice. If we can't have both, I choose justice.

Debray is offline Chuck White
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sig p6 View Post
    A 7mm or a 300 win mag are great guns for deer hunting. If you want to us AR you can get it in 308 also. A 7 mag and 300 are one of the most flat shooting gun out there for the money.You just can't beat them for the money.

Sig,

Your right forget the 223 for deer hunting. They may do a job on groundhogs but that is about all.

The 223 was never designed to kill they were designed to womb the enemy.

I was on a rifle range with M16s during basic training in 1968 and a dog crossed the range some stupid cruets shot the dog several times. We had to call the MPs in to finish it off with a shotgun.

I’ll stick to my 308. One shot one kill.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    The 223 was never designed to kill they were designed to womb the enemy.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

I won't say that a 223 won't kill a deer, but I will say that there are so many BETTER DEER KILLERS that using the 223 is illogical.
    As a reccomendation for a .223 bolt action I'd look very hard at the Howa/Wby Vanguard. I have two of them-one light barrel and one heavy barrel and both are very accurate with bullets 55 grains and under. Neither works with 69 grain and above.

Now, if you had an AR-15 in .300 AAC Blackout, you're in hunting heaven.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I don't know about a .223 for deer.One would have to have a very well placed shot to make it count.If I'm gonna hunt deer it's gonna be with my .30-06 and a for sure kill.I would hate to shoot a deer with a .223 to have it run off in the woods and die from a wound that didn't drop it right on spot.I have a mini 14 and love it for yotes and small critters.I know it's not a bolt action ,but it is a fun little gun.I suppose with the right round and a very well placed shot it can be done and has been done, but why take a chance.
    My.02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12