.223 rifle to hunt with
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

.223 rifle to hunt with

This is a discussion on .223 rifle to hunt with within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Can you guys recommend a .223 rifle to hunt with up to deer size must be bolt action...

Default .223 rifle to hunt with

Can you guys recommend a .223 rifle to hunt with up to deer size must be bolt action

Ouch, I had lots of options until you said, "must be BOLT action."

99% of Bolt guns will shoot more accurate than an AR, but an AR is tons more fun and more than accurate for about every kind of small critter up to deer.

Psalm 82:3-5

CZ527 American. I've killed several hundred ground hogs with mine. Chuck hunting is a great way to get experience hunting.

That said, IMO a .223 is not enough rifle for deer hunting unless you are experienced enough to have excellent shot placement. And frankly, if you are asking this question, you probably aren't.

A .243 or 7mm-08 is as little gun as I'd take for white tail. For Mule deer I'd go with a .270, .30-06, or .308.

I think a .270 is in the contest for best deer cartridge on the planet, but there are lots of others that are good too. I hunt with a 1953 M70 in .30-06. It drops them every time.

Fitch

RJ_Whitlock is offline M&P 9mm

Take a look at these:

Savage Arms

So far every rifle I've looked at they have in .223 Rem. Myself for deer hunting I'm going to use my AR I just picked up with a 20 round mag instead of a 30.
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Mossberg has a neat bolt action .223
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I'd second the comments about the .223 for deer. I was looking at bolt action .223s a few months ago and was seriously considering a Stevens model 200. Stevens is the economy line of Savage. Savage has a great reputation for accuracy out of the box. The Savage Axis looks attractive, but I am leery of the plastic magazine catch. That looks to me to be a long term reliability issue.

Default .223 rifle to hunt with

Ruger Scout Rifle. Designed after the specs created by Col Jeff Cooper.
    It's a tack driver.

A 7mm or a 300 win mag are great guns for deer hunting. If you want to us AR you can get it in 308 also. A 7 mag and 300 are one of the most flat shooting gun out there for the money.You just can't beat them for the money.

Check for legality. In Oklahoma .223 is not legal for deer hunting.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast