Off-Duty Detroit Police Shooting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Off-Duty Detroit Police Shooting

This is a discussion on Off-Duty Detroit Police Shooting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Can't wait to hear how this one plays out. Off-duty Detroit cop, carrying a department-issue .40 cal S&W (model, anyone?) ...

cmhbob is offline Sig fault.

Default Off-Duty Detroit Police Shooting

Can't wait to hear how this one plays out.

Off-duty Detroit cop, carrying a department-issue .40 cal S&W (model, anyone?) in some sort of belt holster, dancing with his wife at a party. Another woman comes up behind him, hugs him. Weapon fires, hitting the second woman in the chest. She dies.

Cannot figure out how this could happen. Not with a belt holster. It's being called accidental at the moment, but I'm having a hard time buying that. Negligent, sure. But not "accidental." For a weapon carried barrel-down (and I've not seen a barrel-up belt holster), it's just not going to fire backwards and up while in the holster. She had to have put hands on it.

Police: Hug Triggers Officer's Gun, Kills Woman - ABC News

Woman hugs off-duty Detroit police officer — and dies after his gun goes off | City of Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
    Bob Mueller
    Blog | Facebook | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post

Off-duty Detroit cop, carrying a department-issue .40 cal S&W (model, anyone?) in some sort of belt holster, dancing with his wife at a party. Another woman comes up behind him, hugs him. Weapon fires, hitting the second woman in the chest. She dies.

Cannot figure out how this could happen. Not with a belt holster. It's being called accidental at the moment, but I'm having a hard time buying that. Negligent, sure. But not "accidental." For a weapon carried barrel-down (and I've not seen a barrel-up belt holster), it's just not going to fire backwards and up while in the holster. She had to have put hands on it.

Woman hugs off-duty Detroit police officer — and dies after his gun goes off | City of Detroit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

He was probably wearing a shoulder rig.....
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

Firefighterchen is online now OC for Tactical Advantage

Quote Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post

I think they got the holster wrong, and it was a horizontal shoulder rig.

Otherwise maybe a ricochet? Far fetched...shoulder rig is my guess.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

something is fishy about that story leaves alot of questions unanswered
    gun control is being able to hit your target

Maybe it was exotic dancing
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    Maybe it was exotic dancing
    Exotic Dancing could be the cause as it's been know to cause premature misfires before

Aren't holsters supposed to "cover the trigger" when the gun,and holster are properly matched? Sounds like a serious F up on the owners part.

The woman that died was the one that hugged the Officer from behind and she was shot in the lung and then heart is what the links are saying now. So that would make since if it was a shoulder holster. Some SOB holsters carry the pistol horizontally but I don't se how that would have hit her where it did.

I’ll say it sounds strange to me how it could happen. This is one to keep following.

The angles don't seem to add up from the story.

Something is NOT right!

-Doc

I dig your signature statement there Firefighterchen!
    "...to keep, meaning 'it's mine, and you can't have it'"...
    -Ted Nugent
    on the right to keep and bear arms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast