Good, quick read...
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By gunnerbob
  • 1 Post By RJ_Whitlock
  • 2 Post By RJ_Whitlock
  • 1 Post By CathyInBlue
  • 1 Post By Iam2Taz

Good, quick read...

This is a discussion on Good, quick read... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Should you have optics on your rifle? - USA Carry...

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Default Good, quick read...

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

my son bought a nice scope for his hunting rifle but he could still shoot well using the original sights
    those things are pretty expensive too
    gun control is being able to hit your target

RJ_Whitlock is offline M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    I read this as soon as it was posted, I just picked up and AR-15 and put on some iron sight right away. I'm debating if I want to buy optics or not, I plan on using it for hunting deer in the fall. I'm not entirely sure I could take a deer at 100 plus yards with just iron sights.
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

For my "battle rifle" or whatever you want to call it, I've chosen the AK platform... I will not put optics on them, won't do it. My AK is a tool, a tool in which gets abused(A LOT)! I have never had a problem hitting a pie plate a 100m with irons, and if I'm full prone I've done it out to 200m. I have no need for a rifle that goes out to 400-500m(If, IF I need to, I've got my browning .30-06), the <300m range of my AK has been sufficient in all my needs thus far, with irons.

As far as the need for optics while being downrange, I never felt comfortable throwing 5.56 out of my M4 at anything over 300m. In fact, the M855 I had lost a lot of steam out that far. For targets beyond eye sight(w/ irons), we relied on the M240s & M2s. I was issued optics while I was deployed, I took 'em off in favor of irons(yes, I stood out, lol). If I have to, I can throw rounds out to 300m+, but here in the states.... I don't see it "happnin" much.

Just my .02
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

RJ_Whitlock is offline M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    For my "battle rifle" or whatever you want to call it, I've chosen the AK platform... I will not put optics on them, won't do it. My AK is a tool, a tool in which gets abused(A LOT)! I have never had a problem hitting a pie plate a 100m with irons, and if I'm full prone I've done it out to 200m. I have no need for a rifle that goes out to 400-500m(If, IF I need to, I've got my browning .30-06), the <300m range of my AK has been sufficient in all my needs thus far, with irons.

As far as the need for optics while being downrange, I never felt comfortable throwing 5.56 out of my M4 at anything over 300m. In fact, the M855 I had lost a lot of steam out that far. For targets beyond eye sight(w/ irons), we relied on the M240s & M2s. I was issued optics while I was deployed, I took 'em off in favor of irons(yes, I stood out, lol). If I have to, I can throw rounds out to 300m+, but here in the states.... I don't see it "happnin" much.

Just my .02
    Thanks for the reply! and your service :)
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

Optics need batteries to focus light? My physics degree must be useless, because I don't recall that taught in the optics chapter.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Having optics is a personal choice, some people feel it's needed, others not. If you run optics or irons, just be proficient with them! If you have optics, you better practice failure drills with them... they get bumped, dropped, crushed, and run out of juice. My irons don't ;)...

A test(and drill) I do with my AKs, is throw them on the ground... pick 'em up, load 'em, and con't my drill. I have not seen anyone w/ optic laden ARs do the same. Most of the ARs I saw downrange were beat to sh!t, but they worked(mostly)... I suggest everyone abuse their weapons(not the collectables of course) to ensure they'll work under harsh conditions.

Just sayin, lol.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    Optics need batteries to focus light? My physics degree must be useless, because I don't recall that taught in the optics chapter.
    I believe he is refering to things like red dots, holographics, etc. Not your general hunting scope....

CathyInBlue is offline Tool Maker

Ah... The toys. Some assembly required. Batteries not included.

Give me a simple two-wire reticule anyday.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

I have a quick release for my scope on my AR. Easy on and off. So far it has held accuracy very well. Iron sites are there as a back up.

Psalm 82:3-5