Magazines
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By XJ_MAC
  • 1 Post By Kalamity023
  • 1 Post By Purple
  • 1 Post By Azimuth315

Magazines

This is a discussion on Magazines within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; On spring loaded magazines for ACP....I wonder what effect leaving them loaded for a long time has on the spring? ...

Default Magazines

On spring loaded magazines for ACP....I wonder what effect leaving them loaded for a long time has on the spring? I'm gonna say it will weaken them...what say you?

Remember that springs can compress over time. Recommend that you empty the mags, remove the spring and pull and exercise the spring to see if the spring has any life left in it or if they need to be replaced. The last thing you want is failure to feed at a critical tie when you need it to work reliably.

XJ_MAC is offline M.A. Cooper

Actually, it has been proven that leaving them loaded has no effect on spring life. It's the loading and unloading that will eventually cause spring fatigue. Some people have left ammo in mags for decades with no noticeable effects on the springs.

Default Magazines

Springs only fatigue with repeat compression and extension. Leaving a mag loaded of long periods of time, in theory, isn't any more harmful than having the mainspring compressed on a 1911 pistol.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

XJ_MAC is offline M.A. Cooper

Oh, of course we are talking about quality springs!

Newer mags have tensile steel that will not compress like the older style mags. The new mag springs actually loose compression when loaded and unloaded frequently. So, no problem keeping them loaded.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

I utilize Wolff brand magazine springs in all my weapons. They produce a great product.

Wolff Semi-Automatic Pistol Springs - Magazines, Recoils, Hammers, Firing Pins & More

If you decide to stretch your spring buy a new one right away because that will ruin it!

Magazines can be kept loaded for years, decades even and still be reliable.

Use, loading and unloading, is what fatigues springs. As long as the magazine spring is not compressed or stretched beyond its design limits it's liable to outlast you.

I'm using magazines in my carbines that are veterans of WWII and they still work reliably after 70 years.

Use them as they were intended to be used - DON'T STRETCH THEM - and you'll probably be able to teach your great- grandchildren to fire your pistol with that magazine. That is if we can keep the "gubmint" from taking all our guns away.

Regards - Al

I agree with all who tell you not to worry about it and to never stretch the spring. If it is a concern for you, one practice I've heard is to change mags every time you reset your clock in the spring and fall. I used to do this but have learned to relax.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

I'm not going to get into this argument it's been done to death but I am going to ask

Aren't magazines supposed to be an expendable item any way ? I mean granted I can't afford an unlimited supply of magazines but I would bet that 6 per pistol two sets of the one in the weapon and 2 spares would last most folks for the rest of their lives. and magazines a fairly expensive (depending on type) but replacement springs certainly aren't
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment