Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun.

This is a discussion on Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Frankly I also think 18 year old's should be able to buy alcohol for this exact same reason. Old enough ...

Frankly I also think 18 year old's should be able to buy alcohol for this exact same reason. Old enough to die for the country, you're old enough for booze or a handgun IMHO.

mmckee1952 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Scott View Post
    Quite candidly, even though I joined the military at the age of 17, I do not think I had the maturity at that age to carry a concealed weapon. It's one thing to me deployed on a military mission in a combat zone - it's another thing to be out in social situations that might escalate into a situation in which a weapon is deployed. Hell, I was barely mature enough to be a police officer which I became at the minimum age of 21! Hell, I'm not even sure that 18 year olds should be allowed to vote - that's how ******** like Obama get into office!
    The OP doesn't talk about letting the 18 year olds having a CCW permit, I agree I don't think they should be allowed to obtain a CCW, but I do agree that they should be able to obtain a gun ONLY AFTER they granduate a certified gun training course, have a federial back ground check & have a firearm license issued by there state & if the state doesn't require a license have them start for anyone from 18 to 21.

Quote Originally Posted by mmckee1952 View Post
    The OP doesn't talk about letting the 18 year olds having a CCW permit, I agree I don't think they should be allowed to obtain a CCW, but I do agree that they should be able to obtain a gun ONLY AFTER they granduate a certified gun training course, have a federial back ground check & have a firearm license issued by there state & if the state doesn't require a license have them start for anyone from 18 to 21.
    Again, I must ask, exactly what problem are we trying to solve? Where does this problem exist, other than in theory? In the states that don't require the training courses, where 18 year olds can posses and carry handguns where are the blood baths? Why do we insist on creating problems that do not exist, and suggest that the solution to those nonexistent problems is to further regulate the 2nd Amendment?
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Again, I must ask, exactly what problem are we trying to solve? Where does this problem exist, other than in theory? In the states that don't require the training courses, where 18 year olds can posses and carry handguns where are the blood baths? Why do we insist on creating problems that do not exist, and suggest that the solution to those nonexistent problems is to further regulate the 2nd Amendment?

And I thought I would be a tight a$$ coming from Law Enforcement!

I support NavyLCDR on this one...There is zero evidence to support the theory that there would be blood in the streets....

If you support the 2nd Amendment then you should support it fully.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

The difference between being 18, and being 18 in the military, are quite different. 18 year olds who are in the military are trained to be men, trained under strict disciplines, and are specifically trained to handle a firearm, as well as being trained to act responsibly. Should they be allowed to purchase and own handguns? I say yes.

I like that idea, CapGun. Maybe 18 is too young for some, but surely not for the ones protecting us.

Quote Originally Posted by Danmc View Post
    The difference between being 18, and being 18 in the military, are quite different. 18 year olds who are in the military are trained to be men, trained under strict disciplines, and are specifically trained to handle a firearm, as well as being trained to act responsibly.
    Speaking for the Navy.... 10 years ago, I would say your statement is correct. Now? Not even close. You would not recognize boot camp now. There is very little difference between boot camp in the Navy now and college dorm life. Most Navy personnel receive introduction level only firearms training and I don't think enlisted personnel receive any pistol training under normal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Danmc View Post
    Should they be allowed to purchase and own handguns? I say yes.
    That being said, I still say yes with you.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Speaking for the Navy.... 10 years ago, I would say your statement is correct. Now? Not even close. You would not recognize boot camp now. There is very little difference between boot camp in the Navy now and college dorm life. Most Navy personnel receive introduction level only firearms training and I don't think enlisted personnel receive any pistol training under normal circumstances.

That being said, I still say yes with you.
    It isn't just the Navy, Commander... the USAF boot camp is turning a bit soft IMO. The new/young Airman I see coming in now(and the past few years) are a far cry from who I was when I came in. For a lot of them, the first few years they're in are treated like a party... and they're just working part-time at BK(and yes, they expect it their way...lol). When I came out of boot as an E3, I looked up to E4s like they were gods(figure of speech), now, new kids couldn't care less about you... and it didn't start changing until I became an NCO/E5(but just a bit).
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    What about this angle...

How about they require you to be minimum 21 to join the armed forces...
    I joined the Navy at 17 and was stationed in Norfolk, VA. I don't know if the law has changed since then, but if you were a minor in the Military and had your active duty ID card with you, you were allowed to go out and drink. Granted you couldn't have liquor but it was perfectly legal to have beer.

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    I joined the Navy at 17 and was stationed in Norfolk, VA. I don't know if the law has changed since then, but if you were a minor in the Military and had your active duty ID card with you, you were allowed to go out and drink. Granted you couldn't have liquor but it was perfectly legal to have beer.
    It's changed...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast