Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun.

This is a discussion on Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; by CTD Suzanne Do you think that 18 years olds should be able to purchase a handgun? By federal law, ...

mmckee1952 is offline Banned

Default Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun.

by CTD Suzanne
    Do you think that 18 years olds should be able to purchase a handgun? By federal law, 18 year olds, who can die for our country, cannot purchase a handgun at a firearms dealer or retail store. Currently, there is an NRA-backed case moving through the Fifth Circuit in the United States Circuit Court of Appeals arguing that the Federal law banning 18 year olds from purchasing a handgun from a licensed FFL dealer or firearms retailer is unconstitutional. The case Jennings v. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosivesn originated in Texas.

First filed in September 2010, the suit originally involved a young man named James D'Cruz. D’Cruz, an 18-year old from Lubbock, Texas filed the suit against the BATFE. D’Cruz moved with his family to Florida and the suit now has three new plaintiffs, Rebekah Jennings, 19, Brennan Harmon, 19, and Andrew Payne, 18. Judge Sam Cummings ruled that it was not the court’s decision to determine the age restrictions. Further, he found under the Equal Protection Clause, that it did not violate the rights of the young adults. The NRA appealed the decision and on July 10, 2012, oral arguments began in this case.

The Justice Department found that boys who own legal firearms have much lower rates of delinquency.
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 made it illegal for any FFL firearms dealer to sell a handgun to anyone under the age of 21, however, 18 year olds may purchase long guns from an FFL dealer. In some states, 18 years olds can purchase a handgun from an individual. The Second Amendment does not say a person has to be a certain age to bear arms. Historically speaking, we recognize an able-bodied adult at age 18. In fact, the Militia Act of 1792 requires men 18 years or older, and no older than 45 must enroll in the militia and arm themselves with a “good musket or firelock…” Further, David Thompson, an attorney with the NRA points out how none of our other constitutional rights has age restrictions, “All of our constitutional rights like the first amendment and the Fifth Amendment, apply to young adults at the age of 18.”

Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action says, “If the law says you’re old enough to fight for your country, it should allow 18-20 year old adults to purchase and own a handgun for any lawful purpose.”

Besides this law being unconstitutional, there is no reason why a responsible 18 year old who can legally own a gun cannot purchase a handgun. Children, teenagers, and young adults taught firearms safety and shooting can handle long guns and handguns safely. In fact, Olympian Kim Rhode won a gold medal at age 17. For anyone who would like to argue the irresponsibility of young adults, the United States Department of Justice found that “boy who own legal firearms have much lower rates of delinquency and drug use and are even slightly less delinquent than non-owners of guns.”

Quote Originally Posted by mmckee1952 View Post
    by CTD Suzanne
    Do you think that 18 years olds should be able to purchase a handgun? By federal law, 18 year olds, who can die for our country, cannot purchase a handgun at a firearms dealer or retail store. Currently, there is an NRA-backed case moving through the Fifth Circuit in the United States Circuit Court of Appeals arguing that the Federal law banning 18 year olds from purchasing a handgun from a licensed FFL dealer or firearms retailer is unconstitutional. The case Jennings v. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosivesn originated in Texas.

First filed in September 2010, the suit originally involved a young man named James D'Cruz. D’Cruz, an 18-year old from Lubbock, Texas filed the suit against the BATFE. D’Cruz moved with his family to Florida and the suit now has three new plaintiffs, Rebekah Jennings, 19, Brennan Harmon, 19, and Andrew Payne, 18. Judge Sam Cummings ruled that it was not the court’s decision to determine the age restrictions. Further, he found under the Equal Protection Clause, that it did not violate the rights of the young adults. The NRA appealed the decision and on July 10, 2012, oral arguments began in this case.

The Justice Department found that boys who own legal firearms have much lower rates of delinquency.
    The Gun Control Act of 1968 made it illegal for any FFL firearms dealer to sell a handgun to anyone under the age of 21, however, 18 year olds may purchase long guns from an FFL dealer. In some states, 18 years olds can purchase a handgun from an individual. The Second Amendment does not say a person has to be a certain age to bear arms. Historically speaking, we recognize an able-bodied adult at age 18. In fact, the Militia Act of 1792 requires men 18 years or older, and no older than 45 must enroll in the militia and arm themselves with a “good musket or firelock…” Further, David Thompson, an attorney with the NRA points out how none of our other constitutional rights has age restrictions, “All of our constitutional rights like the first amendment and the Fifth Amendment, apply to young adults at the age of 18.”

Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action says, “If the law says you’re old enough to fight for your country, it should allow 18-20 year old adults to purchase and own a handgun for any lawful purpose.”

Besides this law being unconstitutional, there is no reason why a responsible 18 year old who can legally own a gun cannot purchase a handgun. Children, teenagers, and young adults taught firearms safety and shooting can handle long guns and handguns safely. In fact, Olympian Kim Rhode won a gold medal at age 17. For anyone who would like to argue the irresponsibility of young adults, the United States Department of Justice found that “boy who own legal firearms have much lower rates of delinquency and drug use and are even slightly less delinquent than non-owners of guns.”
    I am as pro gun as anybody, we have had permits and weapons for some time, its been so long since I was 18, its really tough to answer this objectivly, but to be honest I'm afraid I would have to pull back on just openly allowing 18 year olds to buy handguns, I agree that some 18 year olds have more maturity than some 40 year olds I know, but as a group the majority of 18-20 year olds do not have proper impulse control to be in control of handguns in a civilian enviornment, they would no nessessarly go off shooting anything in sight, but a 18 year old is far more likely to use his gun, in a threatening manner, or show it off, or something simalar

Default Old Enough to Serve in the Military, but Not Old Enough to Buy a Handgun.

True I agree i just got my Ccw after turning 22 and I'll be 23 soon no way do I think 18 should be aloud to own a handgun . Shotgun sure that should be enough hey they could get a tazer though more power to that

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    I am as pro gun as anybody, we have had permits and weapons for some time, its been so long since I was 18, its really tough to answer this objectivly, but to be honest I'm afraid I would have to pull back on just openly allowing 18 year olds to buy handguns, I agree that some 18 year olds have more maturity than some 40 year olds I know, but as a group the majority of 18-20 year olds do not have proper impulse control to be in control of handguns in a civilian enviornment, they would no nessessarly go off shooting anything in sight, but a 18 year old is far more likely to use his gun, in a threatening manner, or show it off, or something simalar
    Quite candidly, even though I joined the military at the age of 17, I do not think I had the maturity at that age to carry a concealed weapon. It's one thing to me deployed on a military mission in a combat zone - it's another thing to be out in social situations that might escalate into a situation in which a weapon is deployed. Hell, I was barely mature enough to be a police officer which I became at the minimum age of 21! Hell, I'm not even sure that 18 year olds should be allowed to vote - that's how ******** like Obama get into office!

The South Carolina Supreme Court ruled over a year ago that it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL (South Carolina Constitution) to disallow law abiding citizens between 18 - 21 from possessing, owning, or purchasing Handguns in South Carolina. However, NO FFL has received any word that the EXISTING LAW AGAINST SUCH would not be enforced.

WE (South Carolina) haven't had the brains YET to remove the RINOs from our Statehouse.

Sorry....

GUNSMOAK.com
    Don't let PUBLIC EDUCATION be responsible for your legacy of "Gun Control". If you don't train them, who will?

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

What about this angle...

How about they require you to be minimum 21 to join the armed forces...
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by mmckee1952 View Post
    by CTD Suzanne

Stupid law.... I agree if they can put their lives on the line serving in Military then they should be able to purchase a weapon. I'm all for adding to our ranks of responsible citizens carrying a handgun....
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    What about this angle...

How about they require you to be minimum 21 to join the armed forces...
    I'm OK with this also!
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

In the states where 18 year old persons can legally receive handguns in private transactions and carry them, where is the blood running in the streets from their "irresponsibility?" Show it to me, please. What about before the 21 year old law went into affect? Where was the mass bloodshed then? There isn't any. It's just more anti-gun propaganda that the "pro-gun" crowd has come to believe because it has been crammed down our throats for so long that has no basis in reality.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

I will have to think about this much more but in the meantime anyone that has served in the military (honorably) and meets the requirements that we all have to meet should be able to purchase a handgun whatever his age!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast