What if
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

What if

This is a discussion on What if within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Ok, so you carry your gun into a place where they are not allowed. Everything going good and nobody knows. ...

Angry What if

Ok, so you carry your gun into a place where they are not allowed. Everything going good and nobody knows. Someone opens fire , illegally carrying. If I were to shoot to prevent further killing or injury, would I be thrown in jail or loose gun and permit? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc1100Aero View Post
    Ok, so you carry your gun into a place where they are not allowed. Everything going good and nobody knows. Someone opens fire , illegally carrying. If I were to shoot to prevent further killing or injury, would I be thrown in jail or loose gun and permit? Just curious.
    I answered this question years ago, when I started carrying. If I save my life and my loved ones, it is worth what ever happens in the after math.
    People should practice being in a state of relaxed awareness similar to defensive driving. Enjoy life, but study your surroundings.....http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/pract...onal-awareness

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

Depends on the state and place you are carrying. When you say you shouldn't be carrying do you mean a "gun free zone" or a place such as a court house in session or jail?

As far as different states, some give the sign the force of law, some don't, so all they can do is ask you to leave.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Like the others said, if you were in a post office, you would be in trouble regardless. However here in Iowa, if there is a business that has a sign posted, I doubt anything would happen. If there is a sign, and you are concealed, and no one sees, no problem. If they see, and ask you to leave, and you do, no problem. If they see, ask you to leave and you refuse, they call the police, and the police ask you to leave, no problem, if the police ask you to leave and you don't, then you are criminal trespass, and would be in trouble... ugh, how crazy is all that?? Now, if you mean like the theater, that posted signs, I'm not saying I wouldn't carry in there, or I would, but let's just say based on the signs here in Iowa, you can figure it out. I would rather not be dead, nor have any of my family or friends dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mc1100Aero View Post

It depends on if the trial is by judge or jury...I prefer by jury, because a trial by judge you have to convince one person one hundred percent, whereas a jury you have twelve possibilities of convincing one person a little more than 50%. Venue is so important, depending on who was killed, and if this criminal becomes a victim in the like minded criminal on the jury.

Fallguy is offline Citizen

In TN there is a law that protects you if you're carrying illegally but have to use it in self-defense. Plus there is the old saying, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Robert Dinwoodie is offline safefirearm

The main thing to keep in mind is that the best answer would come from a expert firearms attorney in your state. Other than that, most states have a list of places that is illegal to carry in. If a business decides to not allow firearms in their establishment (and you carried one in there) it would not be a crime. The business would have the right to ask you to leave and (in an extreme case) take you to civil court.

However, a refusal to leave could end you in criminal court.

My thought on that is that if a business is standing against the second amendment, I will not support that business.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dinwoodie
    My thought on that is that if a business is standing against the second amendment, I will not support that business.
    Really? Let me ask you this, please. Do you ensure that every business you support allows there employees to carry firearms for self-protection too? Or are you concerned only with that business denying your own ability to carry a firearm for self-protection? There are very, very, very few businesses that will allow employees to carry for self-protection due to liability and insurance reasons - but even if they use that as a reason, are they still not standing against the second amendment by not allowing employees the right to self-protection in the workplace?
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Robert Dinwoodie is offline safefirearm

Your attack on me is over an opinion. Personally, my opinion is the expressed denial of business not allowing patrons to carry. If you are asking whether my employer allows me to carry, then I would say yes - it's "kinda" part of the job! It is also my believe that every person has to decide for himself what liberties he/she is willing to relinquish and for what.

If your attack on me had something to do with the fact that you are military. Relax LCDR. I will not deny you that some jobs (such as the military) require you to give up some liberties. It only makes sense that you do for the proper structure of discipline. I know, I also served my country. I don't know of many people who considers the military a business.

Each state list of places firearms are prohibited are for a reason and for the safety of others. I understand and respect that. This isn't the issue.

This shouldn't be a pissing contest to see who's a better American. In fact, I can only assume that sense we both are writing on this forum, we probably have a lot of the same leanings. So, instead of shifting the topic of this thread away from the original question, can we help out another like-minded person? Keep in mind, I have no qualms about defending my stance - but not on this thread.

So, back to the question at hand: Below is a link that provides a list of anti-gun advocates, their campaigns, businesses, or organizations.

NRA-ILA | Anti-Gun Lobbying Organizations

Fallguy is offline Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Dinwoodie View Post
    The main thing to keep in mind is that the best answer would come from a expert firearms attorney in your state. Other than that, most states have a list of places that is illegal to carry in. If a business decides to not allow firearms in their establishment (and you carried one in there) it would not be a crime. The business would have the right to ask you to leave and (in an extreme case) take you to civil court.

However, a refusal to leave could end you in criminal court.

Actually in TN at least if the business post a sign that meets the statutory requirements it is a crime to carry past it, regardless if you are asked to leave or not.

Also I understand not supporting Anti-2A businesses, but a lack of sign doesn't always mean they are pro and sometimes you may not have another choice depending on the service or product they offer.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast