.45 vs Body Armor
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

.45 vs Body Armor

This is a discussion on .45 vs Body Armor within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Since the theater shooting, I have been wondering if my .45 230 gr JHP would have been at all effective ...

Default .45 vs Body Armor

Since the theater shooting, I have been wondering if my .45 230 gr JHP would have been at all effective against someone wearing body armor. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks

In general hollow points of any type won't penetrate body armor. For that you will need FMJs. However, the kinetic energy imparted onto the person wearing the armor will still be considerable and multiple hits in the same area can cause the armor to fail.

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Quote Originally Posted by MTHugger View Post
    Since the theater shooting, I have been wondering if my .45 230 gr JHP would have been at all effective against someone wearing body armor. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    In general, .45 acp ammo (especially ball ammo) would put a serious hurt on anyone, even if their wearing body armor.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

mastrheadhunter is offline mastrheadhunter

This is why I practice head shots from 5, 10 and 20 yards. If the bastard is still moving after 4 or 5 to the chest...then I'll put one in the head. Practice with my .45' .40 and 9mm.

seimer22 is offline More guns, less crime.

I always train double tap to mass, one to the nerve center.

seimer22 is offline More guns, less crime.

Also, I have read that a .40 S&W in a 165 grain Remington Golden Saber may produce enough PSI to penetrate.

Shoobee is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MTHugger View Post
    Thanks
    The teargas at both ends of the theatre would have been a major concern, as you would have had a difficult time seeing well enough to shoot.

As such you would have been just as likely to hit another moviegoer as the suspect shooter.

And as the shooter was having difficulty seeing through his gas mask itself, and was picking off people who got up or moved or tried to run, had you gotten his attention, he would then have likely blasted you also, while his guns were still working, before the rifle jammed and the shotgun and glock ran out of ammo.

Hollow points are more easily absorbed and diflected then full metal jacket ammo, so if you pack hollow points for your CCW weapon, it is very unlikely the shooter would have experienced any impact from your shooting at him. Unlike yourself, who would have experienced a tremendous impact from him shooting at you.

So your eyes would be burning and blurry, the theatre would have been jammed with people, it was dark, and there were bullets flying all over the place.

You best bet would have been simply to take cover and hide, so that the shooter could not see you. Had he started slowly walking up the aisles and shooting, that would have been your chance with a CCW pistol or revolver, against him. But he did not do that. He left the theatre instead, and went back to his car, which is where the police nabbed him.

So you would have had no chance against him, with a CCW weapon. Remembering also that you would have been committing a crime having a weapon on you in a movie theatre. The state could prosecute you, and had you shot anyone by mistake, they probably would have prosecuted you. The state has a responsibility to prosecute crime, and you would have been a criminal for bringing a weapon into a movie theatre.

Depends on the armor...Body armor comes in ratings of I, II, III & IV...a .22 hollow point would prob be stopped by an "I"...but a .45 would most likely cut right through it...NOT ALL BODY ARMOR IS THE SAME...

Quote Originally Posted by seimer22 View Post
    I always train double tap to mass, one to the nerve center.
    Yah but you don't train with teargas, and whether or not you even know what teargas is like all depends on if you were ever in infantry training yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mastrheadhunter View Post
    This is why I practice head shots from 5, 10 and 20 yards. If the bastard is still moving after 4 or 5 to the chest...then I'll put one in the head. Practice with my .45' .40 and 9mm.
    Practice with teargas next time you practice.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast